autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: G110v2 vs GG6 vs PC 7424XP

1. Bought the car 8/2010
    How did you buy a car in the future? Amazing feat!
    Rick....now in North Texas

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    How did you buy a car in the future? Amazing feat!
    Sorry it was a typo I purchased it 8/2009 thanks for the catch.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a surprise yesterday, the wifey brought home a box which contained the G110v2. I got to play with it a little at 1am (I had to go watch SITC 2 with the wife). I noticed two things:

1. I handle tends to move, the combination of the soft coating and the notches not being prominent does not secure the handle unless I over tighten the bolts. Which caused wear on the notches.

2. Due to the vibration the Brush Cover starts to come loose by itself even after I tightened it prior to turning the G110v2 on.

Also the Blue 7" MF Bonnet Covers from ADS are loose and starts flying off when I put it over the 7" Soft Buff 2.0 Burgundy. My $25 6" Ryobi ROB with a Carrand 5-6" MF Bonnets were sung and would not fly off the pad. Is this normal? Will the Bonnet shrink after washing? Rick at ADS told me I have to keep the pad on the surface and apply enough pressure and if I have problems with the DA call Meg.

Kind of disappointed with ADS after sales support, the reason the wife ordered it from ADS was because the lowest price and she didn't want to deal with price matching. Sorry AG, I wish she would have ordered it from you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Got a surprise yesterday, the wifey brought home a box which contained the G110v2. I got to play with it a little at 1am (I had to go watch SITC 2 with the wife). I noticed two things:

1. I handle tends to move, the combination of the soft coating and the notches not being prominent does not secure the handle unless I over tighten the bolts. Which caused wear on the notches.

2. Due to the vibration the Brush Cover starts to come loose by itself even after I tightened it prior to turning the G110v2 on.

Also the Blue 7" MF Bonnet Covers from ADS are loose and starts flying off when I put it over the 7" Soft Buff 2.0 Burgundy. My $25 6" Ryobi ROB with a Carrand 5-6" MF Bonnets were sung and would not fly off the pad. Is this normal? Will the Bonnet shrink after washing? Rick at ADS told me I have to keep the pad on the surface and apply enough pressure and if I have problems with the DA call Meg.

Kind of disappointed with ADS after sales support, the reason the wife ordered it from ADS was because the lowest price and she didn't want to deal with price matching. Sorry AG, I wish she would have ordered it from you guys.
    Griot's should have been the one.

JK....your wife did all she could. Now, I'll never order from ADS.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know about that particular bonnet, but, I have one of the ones from autogeek that I use over a 6in Griots orange pad for wax removal. It stays on very well.

Wax application and removal are just the beginning of the usefulness of these tools. Their true talent is in the polishing. Get some polishes and polishing pads. Practice on an older vehicle to gain confidence. You will be amazed at the results you can achieve with a little practice.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Mike Phillips

That doesn't sound right, I just grabbed one out of the studio and loosened the allen bolts and then moved the handle around and then re-tightened the handle and the handle snugged right down tight with no issues.

That doesn't sound right either?

Also the Blue 7" MF Bonnet Covers from ADS are loose and starts flying off when I put it over the 7" Soft Buff 2.0 Burgundy.

Rick at ADS told me I have to keep the pad on the surface and apply enough pressure
    Ricks right, you should always have the face of the pad or bonnet against something before turning the tool on.

Are you holding the tool in the "air" and running it?

and if I have problems with the DA call Meg.
    Meguiar's as great customer service, give them a call and explain to them what you're experiencing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

That doesn't sound right either?

Are you holding the tool in the "air" and running it?

I have the handle in a 45 degree angle. Maybe I didn't tighten it hard enough how much torque are you supposed apply to it? I didn't over tighten it because I didnt want to break the casing.

Yes, I am holding it in the air and running it, but I never had a problem with my other ROB when I did it.

I really appreciate all your advice and it a learning process for me.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    I dont know about that particular bonnet, but, I have one of the ones from autogeek that I use over a 6in Griots orange pad for wax removal. It stays on very well.

Wax application and removal are just the beginning of the usefulness of these tools. Their true talent is in the polishing. Get some polishes and polishing pads. Practice on an older vehicle to gain confidence. You will be amazed at the results you can achieve with a little practice.
    I plan on trying it out by polishing my black dining table today, it has a clear lacquer on it with a lot of swrils. Will be using Megs Ultimate Compound, wish me luck.

Mike Phillips

I have the handle in a 45 degree angle. Maybe I didn't tighten it hard enough how much torque are you supposed apply to it?
    I don't have an exact number for a torque setting as I use the torque wrench built into my arm. You want to tighten the bolts down tight and I would guess around 20 pounds would suffice.

Yes, I am holding it in the air and running it, but I never had a problem with my other ROB when I did it.
    You can do what you want but experience teaches us that if you hold a tool that oscillates at a high rate of speed, that holds a pad on using Velcro Hook & Looper interface, and/or a bonnet on a pad using elastic around the edging, it will fly off and the tool will vibrate. Besides experience, the tool is designed to be operated with the face of the pad against another surface.

I kind of figured you were holding it in the air, this isn't the first time this issue has come up...

I plan on trying it out by polishing my black dining table today, it has a clear lacquer on it with a lot of swirls. Will be using Megs Ultimate Compound, wish me luck.
    True lacquer, like often used on furniture is very soft as compared to car paint. It's also gong to be thin, if it were me I would do some testing with some much less aggressive. I've worked with Ethan-Allen and Henredon furniture companies with their lacquer finishes and they are thin and soft.

Also do a test spot first and not smack dab in the middle of the table. UC is actually very aggressive, it may leave the surface looking hazing. That's not a problem as you're supposed to follow a more aggressive product with a less aggressive product but besides that you're also supposed to,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike for the advice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast