autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: G110v2 vs GG6 vs PC 7424XP

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    RAND is using a G110v2! Does that mean its easier to handle than the rest of the DAs?

Also I noticed the G110v2 is the only DA with a fully enclosed Spindle Assembly. Does this make a difference?

I watched your video (maybe I missed something) but you didn't really go in to dept in the differences between G110v2, GG6 and PC 7424XP other than the handle differences. I did notice you were using a PC. Are those the ONLY differences when you actually end up using the DAs?

Thanks.
    Who's RAND?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

i own a first generation griots and used it for 5 or six years. now i find that i prefer using 5 5 1/2 pads more so i bought and tried the new g110. this thing rocks. i just bought a second one to put even smaller pads on. the texture of the body of the unit is much more comfortable than others. my older griots had the shut off switch in the stupidist place. power needs are taken care of by the mfg and each has its plus and minus. i find the g110 has more than enough as it does power thru fine. if you truly want power then a rotary is the tool. the smoothness of the megs is better too. i find it as smooth or smoother than my flex. i am giving my griots to a friend who is now interested in detailing his truck. ps i must have a polisher addition as i have 6 total including a cyclo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daveinsweethome View Post
    i own a first generation griots and used it for 5 or six years. now i find that i prefer using 5 5 1/2 pads more so i bought and tried the new g110. this thing rocks. i just bought a second one to put even smaller pads on. the texture of the body of the unit is much more comfortable than others. my older griots had the shut off switch in the stupidist place. power needs are taken care of by the mfg and each has its plus and minus. i find the g110 has more than enough as it does power thru fine. if you truly want power then a rotary is the tool. the smoothness of the megs is better too. i find it as smooth or smoother than my flex. i am giving my griots to a friend who is now interested in detailing his truck. ps i must have a polisher addition as i have 6 total including a cyclo.
    It wouldn't be fair to compare the old Griot's to the new G110.

On a side note, I'd use 5.5" pads with any DA.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

RAND is using a G110v2! Does that mean its easier to handle than the rest of the DAs?
    It was because we were at Meguiar's, thus using Meguiar's tools and products. That tool is actually the G110, the G110v2 was only introduced last year at SEMA.

That picture was actually taken at Meguiar's Corporate Office about a year ago when I still worked for them, I ran the forum and taught most of the classes. If you look on the MOL forum you'll see I'm the high poster with over 28,000 posts...

Also I noticed the G110v2 is the only DA with a fully enclosed Spindle Assembly. Does this make a difference?
    Not that I can tell since sometime in the early 1990's of using these tools...

I watched your video (maybe I missed something) but you didn't really go in to dept in the differences between G110v2, GG6 and PC 7424XP other than the handle differences.
    2 things...

1) I cover the spec differences in the article here,
    How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

2) There's lots of reasons to keep a video short, I'm not going to go into them but there are more reasons to keep a video short than there are to make a video long. This video was a "Follow-Up" to a segment that airs on Two Guys Garage on Speed Channel, the segment on Two Guy's Garage with Brian Fuller is around 2-3 minutes, so compared to the TV segment this is a long segment.

TV version
    Two Guys Garage Video: How to choose the right electric polisher for your detailing project

Besides all that, the tools are basically the same except the Griot's Garage has a 850 Watt Motor. It will be interesting to see if Porter Cable and Meguiar's follows Griot's lead and increases the power their tools offer into the future.

The below is from this article,
    How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    Single Head - Random Orbital Polishers - Free Rotating Spindle Assemblies

Porter Cable 7424XP
    4.5 AMP
    500 Watt Motor
    5 pounds
    3 Year Limited Warranty - 1 Year Free Service - 90 Days Money Back

Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher
    7.0 AMP
    850 Watt Motor
    5.5 pounds
    Griot's Lifetime Warranty

Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher
    2.0 AMP
    240 Watt Motor
    Griot's Lifetime Warranty

Meguiar's G110v2
    4.2 AMP
    430 Watt Motor
    5 pounds
    1 Year Limited Warranty

I did notice you were using a PC. Are those the ONLY differences when you actually end up using the DAs?

Thanks.
    The Porter Cable has the time-proven record of reliability. I'm not saying the others are not reliable, but they need 20 to 30 years of use in the field to catch up to the Porter Cable design. I've seen the ugly side of customer care when a tool breaks and people loose their "professionalism". If you do a search on this discussion forum using the term

upset

You should be able to find what I've written on this topic already as your thread is a common topic of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Who's RAND?
    That would be my son...

From this thread,
    The Free Floating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Yesterday's Trend... Today's Norm...
    Today, DA Polishers are the most popular tool among do-it-yourselfers crossing over from working by hand to working by machine. Many Professional Detailers also use the DA Polisher for their follow-up polishing steps after using a rotary buffer to do the major correction work. These tools are the easiest tools to learn how to use and so safe that even my son Rand is able to operate one safely on Nate Truman's 1966 Batmobile Recreation.

Photo courtesy of LacViet Photography

In the last week or two I've used all three tools for various things, sanding paint, removing sanding marks, removing swirls, polishing to a high gloss and apply liquid and paste waxes and sealants...

When used correctly, they all worked flawlessly.

While the Griot's has the most power to offer, as long as you're using 5.5" pads on all 3 and doing the same task with the same chemicals, they are all going to get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

That would be my son...

From this thread,
    The Free Floating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

'03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the decision has been made, I just found out my WIFE ordered the G110v2 for me. She got tired of me staring at a computer all night and telling her "just five more minutes" before dinner. Her reasoning: Its the most expensive so it must be better.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the decision has been made, I just found out my WIFE ordered the G110v2 for me. She got tired of me staring at a computer all night and telling her "just five more minutes" before dinner. Her reasoning: Its the most expensive so it must be better.
    LOL!! Thay's hilarious!

G110v2 will get the job done!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

This is my favorite post of the day...

It's a great tool and it will give you years of service, the most important factor for getting good results with ANY of the DA polishers and that's 3 steps...

1. Evaluate the condition of the paint
    2. Choose the right pad and product for the job
    3. Use good technique

And do a Test Spot before going over the entire car. Make sure you choice of pad, product and your own technique or ability to use the tool will create the results you want and hope for to one small area and this will give you the confidence to tackle the rest of the car knowing it will come out great.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

1. Evaluate the condition of the paint
    2. Choose the right pad and product for the job
    3. Use good technique

1. Bought the car 8/2010 can had a coat of wax from week 1 with it being reapplied every 3 months.
    2. Will be using now Soft Buff 2.0 black to apply wax and MF bonnet over Soft Buff 2.0 Burgundy to remove wax.
    3. That wont happen until I go to Meg 101 class in July.

P.S. My best friend was obsessed with the iPad and was constantly researching it, so his wife went out and bought him one so she didnt have to hear him talk about it anymore. Now she cant sleep because hes always on it in bed.

Hopefully the wife doesnt regret hearing and waking up to the DA 7am on Sunday mornings.
    Last edited by Homer; 05-26-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Mike Phillips

3. That wont happen until I go to Meg 101 class in July.
    That's a great class and you tell my good friend Michael Stoops or Mike Pennington, whichever gentleman is teaching the class I say "hi".

P.S. My best friend was obsessed with the iPad and was constantly researching it, so his wife went out and bought him one so she didn't have to hear him talk about it anymore. Now she cant sleep because hes always on it in bed.

Hopefully the wife doesn't regret hearing and waking up to the DA 7am on Sunday mornings.
    That's funny...

Yancy, our man of many talents purchased one and you can't pry it out of his fingers... look for it in our upcoming vidoes...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast