autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's G110v2 - 2nd Generation G110 Dual Action Polisher

To: Mike Phillips,
    Mike have you used the G110v2 yet? If you have, please post a review. Thanks much.
    Nicksdragon

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered my G110v2 around 2 weeks ago, and I'm expecting it to finally arrive by next week. How safe and effective are non-Megs pads when used on a G110v2? I want to experiment on different pads and product combinations.

Any solid (i.e.: tried and tested) recommendations for correction, polishing, sealing and waxing? Reviews, comments and pictures will be appreciated.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bumping up a really old thread.
    Mike, what's your opinion on the g110v2 ? How does it compare to the Flex XC 3401

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksdragon View Post
    To: Mike Phillips,
    Mike have you used the G110v2 yet? If you have, please post a review. Thanks much.
    Nicksdragon
    Wow!

Just found your post Nick... looks like you asked this one question and then must have made you're decision. I try to stay on top of the forum as best I can but sometimes I miss a post or two...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Shashank View Post
    Bumping up a really old thread.
    Mike, what's your opinion on the g110v2 ? How does it compare to the Flex XC 3401
    I like the Meguiar's G110v2 as much as I like the Griot's and Porter Cable, you could blindfold me, give me any of the tools and I could get the same work done in the same time.

I don't like the "Tool Stand" they built into the top of the body to enable the tool to lay flat upside down without tipping over because I put my hand their when using the tool I remove the handle off most tools and throw them away and never look back.

I took pictures of the tool stand and what it does to your hand here,

Handle? Or No Handle? - Using DA Polishers Without the Handle

With the Bail Handle removed off the Meguiar's DA Polisher, there's a built-in tool rest that keeps the polisher from tipping over if you place it on it's back with the Bail Handle removed or adjusted to the extreme forward position. While this does provide a benefit, the problem is if you use this tool without the Bail Handle, this tool rest gets pressed into your hand.

Besides that point, the more important point is they are COMPLETELY different tools and because questions like yours are common and there's a lot of confusion over the different types of tools we shot a video that demonstrated this.

Take a look...

Video: All about the FLEX-3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher

The Flex 3401

Here's a video Yancy and I made showing the primary differences between three different drive mechanisms between popular polishers for machine buffing paint.

• Flex 3401 - Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher.

• Rotary Buffers - Direct Drive Single Action Polisher.

• PC style DA Polishers - Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's G110v2 and Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher.

All about the FLEX-3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher

Let me know if you have any more questions for me. Here's a question for you?

1. What are you working on?
    2. What are you trying to accomplish?
    3. How do you do your work right now?
    4. By hand or machine and if by machine, what type?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I like the Meguiar's G110v2 as much as I like the Griot's and Porter Cable, you could blindfold me, give me any of the tools and I could get the same work done in the same time.

Besides that point, the more important point is they are COMPLETELY different tools and because questions like yours are common and there's a lot of confusion over the different types of tools we shot a video that demonstrated this.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation
    After seeing the video you posted, i have a better understanding as to why these machines are alike, and the Flex is a different class of machine.

No wonder you prefer them all the same

I don't like the "Tool Stand" they built into the top of the body to enable the tool to lay flat upside down without tipping over because I put my hand their when using the tool I remove the handle off most tools and throw them away and never look back.

I took pictures of the tool stand and what it does to your hand here,

With the Bail Handle removed off the Meguiar's DA Polisher, there's a built-in tool rest that keeps the polisher from tipping over if you place it on it's back with the Bail Handle removed or adjusted to the extreme forward position. While this does provide a benefit, the problem is if you use this tool without the Bail Handle, this tool rest gets pressed into your hand.
    That's a an ergonomic failure in my opinion, though many may be happy with the handle. I hope Megs fixes it with their next gen DA

Let me know if you have any more questions for me. Here's a question for you?

1. What are you working on?
    2. What are you trying to accomplish?
    3. How do you do your work right now?
    4. By hand or machine and if by machine, what type?

The reason i posted the question is,though i'd seen the video before, i didn't have a clear understanding of the advantage Flex has over a traditional DA.

Now i understand its a direct drive DA combining the speed and power of a rotary and the safety of a DA.

I'm still a newbie at detailing and was considering adding a DA to my kit, the Flex costs almost twice as much as the Megs here in India, so was wondering if its really worth the premium. Now i know why its expensive

1. I detail two cars we own, one is a Skoda Octavia and the other a VW Polo TDi, started with my black car and very recently began detailing the bigger car too. Back-breaking to do both!
    2. I want a swirl free finish on both cars. I hate to see swirls and scratches, especially so on my black car.
    3. All by hand,because of which detailing a car takes 2 days with no paint correction. First day i wash,clay and polish, second day the sealant goes on.
    4. Looking to buy a DA soon
      If its the Megs i can buy one right away, Flex will need a few more months of savings.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I own a V2 and I wear an old pair of leather, gel pocket motorcycle fingerless riding gloves. The gel is in a perfect position and it cuts down on the vibration as well. I've also got a Flex 3401 on order! I am looking forward to getting my hands on it!!

Post Thanks / Like

hi there mike, Im looking for my 1st machine polisher coz Ive been doing it before all by hand. based on your video it seems that the flex 3401 is the way to go.

I know that the Makita is bit for more experience and im a bit hesitant to burn my paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12