autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Installing 6" Counterweight?

Just got my 7424XP which came with a 5" counterweight installed and a 6" counterweight in the box.

The 5" weight comes out easily enough, but there is a small plastic/hard rubber "nub" that is in a gap in the shape of the 5" weight but makes the 6" weight tilt since the entire side is flat.

No instructions in the manual or on-line I can find - am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Installing 6" Counterweight?

Dont know on the new model ... on the older original PC the counterweights never mattered IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Dont know on the new model ... on the older original PC the counterweights never mattered IMO.
    Ron !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

OK - so I've spent time with my supplier (I'm taking ownership of GlossHaus, and the 7424XP is part of our kit), Porter Cable Customer Care, and the local DeWalt Service Center. The first two were puzzled. the last one explained that crushing the nub with the 6" counterweight won't compromise the bearing, and he installed it for me. Gonna be a bit of a pain, since we'll be installing these for our customers.

As far as the benefit of the 6" weight, I think it is probably important for bearing life and the best "jiggle" pattern with the heavier Lake Country backing plate and pad setup. For the ~$2 it costs, I'm going with what the folks who make it say.

Unfortunately, we're headed out of town, so no chance to play

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    OK - so I've spent time with my supplier (I'm taking ownership of GlossHaus, and the 7424XP is part of our kit), Porter Cable Customer Care, and the local DeWalt Service Center. The first two were puzzled. the last one explained that crushing the nub with the 6" counterweight won't compromise the bearing, and he installed it for me. Gonna be a bit of a pain, since we'll be installing these for our customers.

As far as the benefit of the 6" weight, I think it is probably important for bearing life and the best "jiggle" pattern with the heavier Lake Country backing plate and pad setup. For the ~$2 it costs, I'm going with what the folks who make it say.

Unfortunately, we're headed out of town, so no chance to play

Cheers!
    Wonder why that nub is on there in the first place? Did he say why? I agree that the 6" cw should be used for 6" pads. I myself have not seen a difference using the 5" cw or the 6" cw, but if pc makes both there must be a reason for it. Long term use using the wrong cw could cause pre-mature bearing wear.

Post Thanks / Like

are the 5" and 6" counterweights refering to the size of the pad, or size of the backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

The 6" counterweight is mainly required for heavier pads - there is a range, but I'm sitting in the passenger seat on the way to SC, so I don't have it handy. The only 6" polishing pad that is OK with the 5" weight is the one supplied from the factory. Add the LC rubber hook-and-loop backing plate and a pad and you're well into the 6" weight range.

He said something about it being used to pin the bearing as it is pressed in, but this was pretty clearly supposition on his part.

Really looking forward to trying it out. My new-to-me BMW wagon needs some love, and a local guy just picked up a crispy red single-stage E30 BMW - think I'll take the Flex and the 7424XP and see how things look.
    Last edited by e24mpwr; 07-17-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if I ordered the Porter Cable 7424XP through AutoGeek both the 5" and 6" counterweights come included?

Thanks!