autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting the PC

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting the PC

Hey all. So my dad and I are thinking of getting the PC7424. Neither of us have used anything like it before. The closest we've gotten to using a machine on our cars is using an orbital buffer that we bought at Wal-Mart to take wax off. So using a machine to put wax on is totally different to us. As stated before, we've never done this before and are worried about burning or ruining the paint. I've watched a few videos on it and it doesn't seem difficult, but him and I would just like to make sure before we were to make any purchases. Is it really a safe product to use and easy to learn? Thanks for an help!

I guess I should mention that we are thinking of getting the starter kit offered on this site...I think it's $199.99. It comes with the PC, different pads, etc. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Joshs2013MSAltimaSL; 12-11-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting the PC

It is about impossible to mess up with the porter cable or the flex because they do not genrate alot of heat like a rotary but i would suggest the flex da if you can spare the extra money it is a much better machine and also throw some good polishes like menzerna, pinnacle, or wolfgang

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm new to this all and don't know what's good to use or what to use for what job. Our cars have some light swirls from drying with regular towels. I've read that we need to use a compound, then a polish, then a sealant, using different colored pads at each stage. The starter kit that we're thinking of getting comes with all the different pads. We'd just have to buy the polishes etc. So it's pretty simple to use?

Post Thanks / Like

yes i have the pc, flex, and a makita rotary and both the flex and pc are great machines do you have any thoughts on what kind of polishes you want to try

Post Thanks / Like

Umm...really the only stuff I've heard of is Optimum. I've read posts on here with people using Menzerna, Pinnacle, etc. but I don't know what the differences are between them, or what I would really need. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

what kind of cars would you be using them on??

Post Thanks / Like

For someone new, I would suggest a PC, 3-4 pads in each colors (orange white for polishing) and at least 1-2 pads of red and black (for applying a wax/sealant) To keep it simple, you can just get 5.5 inch pads across the board. BUT-smaller pads like 4 inch will work a little faster at removing swirls. You can get by though with the 5.5 pads.

Optimum products are great for beginners. They're less expensive, they have longer working times, they're less finicky to climatic conditions, you can mix them to make your own formulas (search a round for more on that) etc...Dpending on how bad the swirls are and how soft the paint is on the cars you will be working on, you might not need the compound.

Check out the Optimum PC7424 kit and maybe add a couple extra pads, microfiber towels. I think the kit comes with poli-seal which is an awesome product but i would also suggest another wax of some sort if you can afford it. Otherwise, nothing wrong with using a wax from wally world, or auto zone etc...

there's a sale going on right now so save some cash and order before end of the week (15% off and free shipping!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the sale. The cars that we would be working on are an 07 Maroon Corvette, 07 Sport Red Cobalt ss/sc, and a red Porsche Cayman S. There is nothing too serious, just light swirls over the cars, maybe some intermediate marks here and there. Here is what we're thinking of getting: Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer What products do you think would be good to use?

Post Thanks / Like

i would get menzerna SIP, 106fa, and po85rd i would also go with the 4 inch pads like doublelife said

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, well I will have to pass this information on to my dad. I know his main concern is ruining the paint. He's heard some horror stories or people using machines on their cars and burning the paint. From what I've read here, that won't be a problem with the PC.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.