autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Destroying backing pad

This weekend I used my Porter Cable DA. It been probably 3 years since I last used it.

About 15 minutes into polishing I start see yellow stuff all over the place. I stop and look at the backing pad and everything seems ok. I start again an in a few seconds the backing pad separates from the plate.

OK, no big deal. It's an old pad.

I have a sealed backing plate, still in the bag. Now this pad is "new", however I've had it a few years as well -- just sitting in the bag.

Long story short the same thing happened after 3 minutes on the new backing plate.

Before I order a new backing plate/pad is this "normal"?

Is it possible both backing plate aged, without use, and I just need to order new backing plates and move on? Or is there something else going on here, either with the polishing pad/product I was using or something else with the polisher itself?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Destroying backing pad

Not the machine causing this. I would attribute to dry rot. Probably a good idea for everyone to inspect their plates for cracks.

Your very lucky the paint wasn't damaged when the 1st plate fell apart

3. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You mention you only used it for a couple of minutes, but did you feel the pad after it separated? Was it warm?

The only time I've had pad's self-destruct like you describe is when they got too hot and the glue holding the pad to the backing material let go. I could see the process being accelerated with an older pad.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    You mention you only used it for a couple of minutes, but did you feel the pad after it separated? Was it warm?

The only time I've had pad's self-destruct like you describe is when they got too hot and the glue holding the pad to the backing material let go. I could see the process being accelerated with an older pad.
    I know my post was confusing -- I used pad and blacking plate interchangeably -- sorry about that.

In this case it was the yellow backing plate, that attaches with the screw, to the PC 7424. The yellow, flexible foam part of the backing plate separated into two pieces -- the rigid part with the screw, and the rest of the foam part, with the hook and loop fabric on it.

I can only assume that because of the age the foam had become weak. It felt fine and looked fine, but obviously was not good.

I'm going to order a new pad and will see what happens.

Thanks!

7. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes.

I've purchased used polishers that came with old backing plates. They would arrive in a state of decay.

A new one should work just fine. The Lake Country and Meguiar's are really nice.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Ah yes.

I've purchased used polishers that came with old backing plates. They would arrive in a state of decay.

A new one should work just fine. The Lake Country and Meguiar's are really nice.
    Just ordered a new Lake County. I also checked my order history -- my last purchase of a backing plate (Lake Country as well) was 2011!

I think that explains why they fell apart! Already 11 years old! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardWest View Post
    I know my post was confusing -- I used pad and blacking plate interchangeably -- sorry about that.

In this case it was the yellow backing plate, that attaches with the screw, to the PC 7424. The yellow, flexible foam part of the backing plate separated into two pieces -- the rigid part with the screw, and the rest of the foam part, with the hook and loop fabric on it.

I can only assume that because of the age the foam had become weak. It felt fine and looked fine, but obviously was not good.

I'm going to order a new pad and will see what happens.

Thanks!
    Thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize the backing plates had foam pieces to them. I ran a Lake Country plate on my old HF polisher and I thought that one was a polymer or plastic of some sort. Now I'll have to go check it since I do still use that tool for applying sealants once in a while. I don't want to encounter what you just experienced.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog