autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many here are still using the Porter Cable DA?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

This tool, which I probably bought on sale here countless moons ago (about 80), was worth every cent.

So like 6 1/2 years, Mark? Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

How many here are still using the Porter Cable DA?-img_6704-copy-jpg 1st go around with the pc 7335, Mothers Foam pad glaze with a white ccs 5.5 pad

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    So like 6 1/2 years, Mark? Lol
    Yes about that my friend.

But over that time I picked up a little GG3" and the Griots Boss-15.

As nutty as I am, and if money grew on trees, I'd probably buy a few more machines, sort of liking that little Cordless Flex Tool for one, very nice. How nice that would be not needing A/C Cords, and great for doing small spot corrections if needed.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of them and love them. Been using for longer than i care to admit 20+ years

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is for sale if anyone is interested

8. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it ain’t broke... almost 20 years old, just sayin.

Post Thanks / Like

My PC has a lot of air miles flying to relatives homes for holidays. It's been retired except for wood sanding and headlights since I bought a "Beast" 11 years ago.

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in,

The Porter Cable wood sander is a well-built tool. Works great for sanding wood and for polishing paint.

While I was at Meguiar's I had a guy attend our TNOGS that was an engineer for Black & Decker. He said he would pass-on some feedback from yours truly about the Porter Cable. I simple said or recommended that if they were to increase the power a little and fix the component that reduces or increases power to the spindle so that you could feel and hear an actual difference in speed as you reduced or increased the speed dial setting PLUS make the speed dial ratchet so when you turned it to a specific number on the dial it would stay there, (most tools don't have this simple feature), then it would be a great tool.

He told me the people at Black & Decker simply didn't care for feedback.

Years later, I met with the Engineers at FLEX over in Germany. They wanted to pick my brain about tools. I told them I thought and still think there's a market for a GREAT 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher. Here's the link to my documentation on this meeting.

See Post #13

Secret meeting with the Flex Engineers!

They didn't care or listen either.

My Observation

RUPES invented and introduced, (that's 2 things), the long stroke free spinning random orbital polishers in 12mm, 15mm and 21mm - and then everyone else jumped on the band wagon and at the same time forgot about or lost interst in short stroke polishers.

In my opinion this is a mistake. And I explain why in my article I've linked to below.

It has to do with why LONG stroke polishers are so PRONE to PAD STALLING and short stroke polishers are so much LESS prone to pad stalling.

The ghosting footprint and the actual footprint - Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polishers

It has to do with the leverage created by the outer edge of the pad. Pretty simple to figure out if you just buff out a thousand or so cars with all the different types of tools on the market and then - pay attention to what's happening.

I like the Griot's G9 but prefer the shorter, more compact size of the Porter Cable. The Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher was the best short stroke polisher on the market and now is discontinued. It had less power than the current G9 but it had the shorter, more compact body or chassis that some people prefer over the longer body or chassis you see with so many other tools.

Even Meguiar's dumped the shorter, more compact G110 for the MT300, which like so many tools today have the longer body or chassis.

My Prediction (even though no one has listened to me for 15+years)

I believe there's a strong market for a new, better, greater 8mm short stroke free spinning random orbital polisher. We're just waiting for someone that makes tools to figure it out.

And for the love of humanity - any tool maker that reads this into the future, please don't get caught up on the long stroke bandwagon. There's a time and place for long stroke, but the real market, that is the average person that wants to buy one tool and take care of just their own cars - the next evolution in a PC style tools is what you want to create.

12. Likes PaulMys, Jim w liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And for reference,

From 2010

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

Wood sander

From 2011

Secret meeting with the Flex Engineers!

From 2015

The ghosting footprint and the actual footprint - Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polishers

Why long stroke polishers are prone to pad stalling on page 55

Meh.... what do I know...

14. Likes Loach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that write up Mike.

I actually kept my porter cable as it was sidelined for some time as I had ventured off to other machines. I have since started to use it again, primarily as a dedicated 3 inch corded polisher. I sold my Rupes 3 inch polisher as it just stalled too much for my liking. The 8mm orbit of the PC gets into those tighter areas much better and does not stall like the Rupes Mini as soon as it made contact with an uneven surface. The PC also works much better polishing wheels for whatever ceramic coating I am going to reapply.

16. Likes PaulMys, Loach liked this post
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast