autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New PORTER-CABLE 7424XP from Amazon - Power switch problems?

MasterBlaster,

"Visitor" just gave you some million dollar advice. I would have given you the same advice, but he did it first, complete with links. Now get your butt in gear and order the new stuff from AG while you can get 25% off most or all of it.

With that shopping list you'll be a long time before you outgrow the purchase, if ever. And if the Griot's breaks down the road you'll still be covered.

You can justify the entire purchase by the money you will save doing your own detailing.

Welcome to the world of the obsessed!

2. Thanks VISITOR thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't sweat it too much.
    By contacting Amazon, they'll put the ball in motion that they'll send you a return shipping label free of charge, pack it all back up best you can, and I believe it will be your choice of refund, or replacement.

Commonly, the PC7424XP is a pretty reliable solid unit.

4. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Return it. Amazon has a great return policy!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Returning stuff from Amazon is the easiest thing you will ever do. They even have UPS come to your door to take the item from you. Doesn’t get any easier. AG uses Fedex and the support in my area is ZERO. I’ve got some stuff to return and I’m dreading it as I may have to drive 70 miles round trip. Be very thankful you used Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

And so is it beginning?

I read a year or two ago that Black and Decker had purchased Porter Cable. My experience with B&D is they like to make/take a great reputation and ride it for profits as they trash the quality.

We'll see

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    And so is it beginning?

I read a year or two ago that Black and Decker had purchased Porter Cable. My experience with B&D is they like to make/take a great reputation and ride it for profits as they trash the quality.

We'll see

B&D does not have the greatest reputation, but it was Rockwell that did the most damage to the PC brand after they purchased it. Ironically they wanted to create a consumer brand to compete with B&D. They ran PC into the ground and eventually eliminated the PC name totally. PC was brought back to life when the name changed hands several times. It is now owned by B&D who produces nearly all the PC tools in Mexico and China. That does not make B&D part of an exclusive club!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMDX View Post
    B&D does not have the greatest reputation, but it was Rockwell that did the most damage to the PC brand after they purchased it. Ironically they wanted to create a consumer brand to compete with B&D. They ran PC into the ground and eventually eliminated the PC name totally. PC was brought back to life when the name changed hands several times. It is now owned by B&D who produces nearly all the PC tools in Mexico and China. That does not make B&D part of an exclusive club!
    Rockwell has a tendency to do that with all companies that they purchase. They also nearly destroyed Baldor and Reliance motors along with Dodge gearboxes. They wanted to concentrate on their core business which is factory automation products.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMDX View Post
    All the more reason to go with the Griot's 6.

Yes, it is manufactured in China, but so is the iPhone. You get what you pay for.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking at the box of the PC 7424xp (found a brand new one on Craigslist for $60.00!! Came with a brand new 5" Lake Country plate too!)

It says on the box that it comes with a 3 year limited warranty, 1 year free service, and 90 day money back guarantee. I'm assuming all of which are offered through Porter Cable.

I've had super good luck with mine.

One of the guys I work with regularly has used his in both production detailing, and in his own business. He got it in 2011, and I just replaced the brushes a few months ago.

I found a used 1st gen 7424 from 2006 for cheap on eBay, and it has become the first at bat for me. I replaced the cords couple months ago, so things that typically wear out with these tools are pretty easy to remedy. Amy of the switches I think I wouldn't personally have a problem repairing myself. And I'm no master mechanic.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12