autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 7336 Question. cover removal...

There was plenty of grease thrown out of the gear assembly when i pulled the metal cover off and I simply repacked it back in like a wheel bearing. Cleaned everything up real good inside and out and put everything back together and it feels and sounds like new! The cover that proved so hard to remove simply popped back on and feels like it did before...loose but secure on the stops. If it pops off during use I'll just secure it with bolts. Thanks again to all that offered some help.

Like Photomask's experience, this machine is 15 years old and was the very first machine I bought to buff and shine paint. It is still performing flawlessly however will admit to it being relegated to a wax/sealant spreader since my Flex 3401 arrived. I got a Hitachi rotary about 10-12 years ago and that certainly relaxed some of the duty my PC was doing as well so it saw constant service for about 5 of its first years and then refinement duty after the rotary for about another 8-10 years. It's been dropped too many times to remember, run every kind of pad and product you can think of and has never once complained during its service life! Now with its spring cleaning it'll probably go another 15!!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post

Here's mine, once off! Was still wicked to get off which i guess is good. If it comes off easier while working with it later i'll secure the handle holes with bolts and washers.

Thanks for the picture Paul, I rotated it and added a box that shows where Porter Cable had now included a notch to lock the plastic cap on...

3. Likes coredump4 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 7424 has the same notch in the plastic cover. The big difference is in the cast aluminum gear housing. The 7336 has a prominent tooth extending below the handle mount hole that engages the notch in the plastic cover. The 7424 reduced/omitted that tooth and now has little to no engagement to the plastic housing. The two 7336s I own are over 20 years old and have been bounce checked from 3 to 4 feet onto concrete countless times. Other than mount pads wearing out, nothing has been replaced on either one and these tools saw extensive use as sanders. They are solid, well built tools and if you run into a chance to buy a used one, grab it. They still have a lot of use left in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike!

Yes, I agree PMask...mine has taken a beating over the years and is reliable as heck.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123