autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Free orbiting vs Forced Driven DA's

Hi all,

I'm a beginner just starting out, bought a convertible a few weeks ago, in very good condition except the car has swirls on it from the previous owners washing it at those car wash places (at least that's what I think).

So my objective is to use a polisher that is SAFE for a noob like me. Now from reading around different forums etc... I know the Porter Cable 7424 is the answer but this isn't readily available in the UK and the shipping costs are a bit steep tbh.

Hence the following questions about the Porter Cable 7424:

1) What is the "default" of DA's, are they free spinning like the PC [which is the thing that makes it safe for us noobs) or forced driven like the Flex?

2) This leads on to my next question: Would any variable speed DA polisher do as an alternative to the PC? [The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if the function that stops the pad from oscillating when pressed too hard is something that is specific to the PC or is universally applicable to all DA's?]

3) Lastly, can anyone suggest an alternative to the PC? I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free orbiting vs Forced Driven DA's

I think a beginner is safe to use a Flex 3401. No need to upgrade later.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I think a beginner is safe to use a Flex 3401. No need to upgrade later.
    The Junkman put me off of that idea. I want one that is not forced driven

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by worriedlearner View Post

Hi all,

I'm a beginner just starting out, bought a convertible a few weeks ago, in very good condition except the car has swirls on it from the previous owners washing it at those car wash places (at least that's what I think).

So my objective is to use a polisher that is SAFE for a noob like me. Now from reading around different forums etc... I know the Porter Cable 7424 is the answer but this isn't readily available in the UK and the shipping costs are a bit steep tbh.
    Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Hence the following questions about the Porter Cable 7424:

1) What is the "default" of DA's, are they free spinning like the PC [which is the thing that makes it safe for us noobs) or forced driven like the Flex?
    To my knowledge, the majority of orbital polishers on the market are free spinning. See my article here for pictures and explanations about the free spinning polisher craze...

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

2) This leads on to my next question: Would any variable speed DA polisher do as an alternative to the PC? [The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if the function that stops the pad from oscillating when pressed too hard is something that is specific to the PC or is universally applicable to all DA's?]

Kind of. All free spinning orbital polishers are also VARIABLE speed. I don't know of any orbital polisher that you cannot adjust the speed setting. And "yes" "kind of" any 8mm orbit stroke length orbital polisher is LIKE the Porter Cable and actually a copy of the Porter Cable. The Porter Cable wood sander STARTED the CRAZE. Everyone else copied their design to some degree or another. See my article I linked to above.

3) Lastly, can anyone suggest an alternative to the PC? I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

My good friend pj and Dom at Dodo Juice sell a UK compliant orbital polisher.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for having me Mike!

And a huge thank you for taking the time to answer my questions so thoroughly

Just a few things to note:

1) When you say "orbital" is that just another name for "Dual-action"? Atm I have three main categories in my head
    - Rotary: Rotates, no oscillation, forced driven
    - Dual Action: rotates, oscillates, not forced driven
    - Hybrid: Those that combine elements of the above two categories

Where would orbital fall under?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for having me Mike!

And a huge thank you for taking the time to answer my questions so thoroughly

Just a few things to note:

1) When you say "orbital" is that just another name for "Dual-action"? Atm I have three main categories in my head
    - Rotary: Rotates, no oscillation, forced driven
    - Dual Action: rotates, oscillates, not forced driven
    - Hybrid: Those that combine elements of the above two categories

Where would orbital fall under?

OK so I did some more reading and for any other noobs that may be wondering:

There seems to be a difference in the way the terminology is used (I’m not surprised).

Some (like Mike) refer to the PC as a dual action since literally speaking, when you look at it, it BOTH oscillates as well as rotates. The flex is referred to as a “Forced Rotation DA”.

I've also seen on forums where reference is made to the old school polishers as "orbitals" which are seen as nothing more than wax spreaders nowadays owing to their poor power.

The way others (like Junkman) see it:
    On the other hand, they look at the rotations on the PC kind of being a “side effect” of the oscillations and hence the rotations slow down when you push down on it. So while a person using an orbital may benefit from the rotations they are primarily after its orbits hence the orbitals have OEM not RPM. This makes the PC an Orbital and not a dual-action. Consequently, the Flex is a DA.

The Bosch 1250DEVS is a hybrid: an orbital and a DA.

It seems the market refers to the PC or DAS Pro as a DA.

Post Thanks / Like

The Junkman put me off of that idea. I want one that is not forced driven
    No worries!

I disagree with him on that point. I love his videos, and his personality, but having used a rotary, a 3401, and PC, I never felt my paint was in any kind of danger with the 3401. In fact, the pad on my PC free spins faster than my 3401. It just doesn't have the muscle to keep that speed consistent as I'm working, unless my technique is on point.

I do consider the 3401 to be a Dual Action tool, 7424/Rupes free spinners to be Random Orbital tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Also considering adding on a flex 3401 forced instead of using my GG6 for all paint work. After completing my pad line up

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline