autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC7424 vibration

I initially bought the 5" Lake Country Yellow Urethane Backing Plate for my PC7424XP when I bought it, but in more recent times when it became available also then bought the Griots Garage 5" Vented Backing Plate.

No problems with either, but feel the GG Plate might hold advantage with the Vented Holes, thus helping Plate and Pads stay a bit cooler.

Most here seem to say, that 5" Plate and 5.5" Pads is the way to go as the largest Pad-Plate combo, a larger Plate and Pads hampers reliable Pad rotation on the PC Machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don04 View Post
    I know this has been discussed here many times. I have been searching and have not really drawn conclusions.

I have a PC 7424 non XP. I bought a number of years ago from I don't remember where.

I am about ready to throw the darn thing out. The vibrations when using it are driving me nuts. After working one panel, my hands and arms itch/hurt.

I have an abundant supply of Lake Counter 6.5" pads, and the original backing plate. Attachment 54713

The 6" counter weight is installed on the machine.
    I have learned that the backing plate is a good start to try and fix this. Suggestions i have read suggest 5" flex plate for 6.5" pads, some say the 6" backing for 6.5 inch pads.

What do you recommend to make this DA usable? different pads? new backing plate? different counterweight?

I am at my wits end and would rather not buy a new polisher. I certainly will if that is the recommendation.

TIA
    Don Fitz
    Mine is the XP so maybe that is why mine is fine.

There was a post on here about a 3" DA that had bushes installed badley from new (they were not seated properly).

The other thing was lack of grease in the inner gear housing.

Don't know if worth it to take apart and inspect, but I would before I threw out.

There might be a "Tool Doctor" franchise near you that could do it for you, or call Porter Cable for authorized repair shop in your area.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post

There was a post on here about a 3" DA that had bushes installed badley from new (they were not seated properly).

Don't know if worth it to take apart and inspect, but I would before I threw out.

There might be a "Tool Doctor" franchise near you that could do it for you, or call Porter Cable for authorized repair shop in your area.
    Yeah, that was me Crispy who found the issue on my GG 3" with cracked Brushes with only about an hour of use on this machine.

And that probably most if not all of these machines over a period of time have internal grease lubricants slung away from their gear sets due to heat, and centrifugal force.

A machine like the PC7424 should not be too hard to take apart and put back together if you are careful, and pay strict attention and care to what you are doing.

There are places online where some of the parts for these older machines can be acquired. Parts such as the main motor though are not cheap, and probably in such instances the machine may have to be trashed if there are more serious problems. Doesn't make sense if one has to spend $50 or more dollars then to repair such an older machine.

To then just invest that money for a newer one of personal choice.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO your 6" counter weight and 6.5" BP and Pads are way to big for the PC7424XP. I have the PC7424XP and it is an awesome secondary DA. My Flex 3401 is my primary, however, I use the PC for applying sealant/wax and will use it for smaller corrections/polishings. I no longer go more than 4". I use it for the smaller challenges. I would suggest using smaller pads 5" max and a smaller BP. As for the counterweight I can't comment as I have mine set up from the factory.

Try the smaller pads and see the big difference.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 7424XP and yes, there is some vibration with this machine, but not terrible. Ive stuck with a 5" backing plate and 5.5 pads though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post

The tool is a breeze to disassemble/reassemble with just a little mechanical knowledge.

And I agree to always check the brushes, armature, and cord connections while the machine is disassembled. Just good practice.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have an exploded view of the pollisher?

That would be very usefull if you were doing it the first time.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

From Porter Cables site

1 - V1?

2 - V2?

I think they are both the same pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here's PC's web site: Porter-Cable

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.