autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2nd time using my new PC

Hello everyone,

I used my new porter cable 7424xp last weekend on my wife's white 2013 Chevy Impala and wasn't too impressed with the results. The plan was to use LC white flat pads with Griot's AIO and top it with Collinite 845 next weekend when I have free time. Anyways, my wife's car has quite a few light scratches and the white LC pad and Griot's AIO on a section of the hood and it only removed some of them, if any. Before this I washed the car, Iron X, and clay barred the car. I tried using Meguiar's Ultimate Polish with another LC white flat pad on the same spot and it didn't do anything. Additional information: used speed 4.5 on my PC, wiped the AIO off with Meguiars microfiber towel, did the "clean foam pad on the fly" trick after each panel.

My question is what I need to do to correct it? The car looks flawless until you shine a light on it and it reveals the light scratches.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2nd time using my new PC

same thing happened to me with my torq polisher. i learned that gm cars paint is harder than a morning woodpecker and i needed to get microfiber pads with menzurna 1000 cut
    with the regular pads i didnt get much results but with the new combo i got almost perfect results. after i hit it with super finish lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trojanone1 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I used my new porter cable 7424xp last weekend on my wife's white 2013 Chevy Impala and wasn't too impressed with the results. The plan was to use LC white flat pads with Griot's AIO and top it with Collinite 845 next weekend when I have free time. Anyways, my wife's car has quite a few light scratches and the white LC pad and Griot's AIO on a section of the hood and it only removed some of them, if any. Before this I washed the car, Iron X, and clay barred the car. I tried using Meguiar's Ultimate Polish with another LC white flat pad on the same spot and it didn't do anything. Additional information: used speed 4.5 on my PC, wiped the AIO off with Meguiars microfiber towel, did the "clean foam pad on the fly" trick after each panel.

My question is what I need to do to correct it? The car looks flawless until you shine a light on it and it reveals the light scratches.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Kyle

I like you are new to detailing but with what I know you would probably be better off using a pad that has some more cut. The white LC pad is a pad most people would use to put on a LSP and with the chemicals you are using would only take minor swirling off.

Here is my second ever detail a 2014 Ram that had some scratches that I didn't expect Meguiar's Ultimate Polish to work so well The only difference from you is I used a LC orange pad.

Before UP

After UP

As you can see a huge difference Not perfect but I didn't think I would have been able to correct that much scratch without at least a compound and probably some wet sanding.

Good luck in your search for what's best for you.
    2014 Ram 1500 4X4 Big Horn QC True Blue

Post Thanks / Like

The white pad is for very light imperfections. I used Opti-Seal, also an AIO, but with a LC Cyan aggressive cutting pad because it had heavy swirls and it took out almost all the swirls. I think you should step up the aggressiveness of the cut in the pad.

Imgur Album

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the earlier comments about the LC white pad. You need a more aggressive pad and possibly a more aggressive polish or compound.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me and that I am a current PC7424XP user I would go with a more aggressive polish. An AIO is just that AIO a compromise type polish and LSP. If it were me, I would go with an Orange Pad (Lake Country or equivalent) and go with a compound like Menzerna FG400 (new name don't know what it is) and then use a Polish like Menzerna SF4500 (new name don't know what it is) with the white pad.

My reasoning is this: You did not get the results with the AIO and you are somewhat disappointed. Rather spending more time and energy using an AIO go with a 2 Step. I know the procedure will take longer, however, you will know that you are satisfied with your accomplishment. As for the LSP a sealant or wax would be fine.

Another option is that you might use a Polish instead of a compound/polish. A polish may do the trick as it is probably a little more aggressive than an AIO. The only thing is that you would need to apply an LSP. Use thye white pad for a polish.

Now the only way to determine which technique may be the best for you: compound/polish or just polish is to do a test spot.

I have Menzerna AIO and have only used it 1 time as I did not like the results of the detail. It is a great paperweight for my garage.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

What's your technique like?

How are you priming the pad?

How much polish are you using to do your section?

How many passes are you doing?

How much pressure are you using?

Have you tried using speeds 5, or 6?

Have you considered a product more geared toward defect removal, like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound?

I've personally had a LOT of great results with Ultimate Polish and blue Buff and Shine pads

Post Thanks / Like

Orange pad would have been where I started. White is not aggressive enough for what you're trying to accomplish. Then their is always yellow. I always change pads before I change products, they both work in unison with each other. Before I bump up to a more aggressive product I always go through my pad progressions to be the least aggressive a possible.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    If it were me and that I am a current PC7424XP user I would go with a more aggressive polish. An AIO is just that AIO a compromise type polish and LSP. If it were me, I would go with an Orange Pad (Lake Country or equivalent) and go with a compound like Menzerna FG400 (new name don't know what it is) and then use a Polish like Menzerna SF4500 (new name don't know what it is) with the white pad.

My reasoning is this: You did not get the results with the AIO and you are somewhat disappointed. Rather spending more time and energy using an AIO go with a 2 Step. I know the procedure will take longer, however, you will know that you are satisfied with your accomplishment. As for the LSP a sealant or wax would be fine.

Another option is that you might use a Polish instead of a compound/polish. A polish may do the trick as it is probably a little more aggressive than an AIO. The only thing is that you would need to apply an LSP. Use thye white pad for a polish.

Now the only way to determine which technique may be the best for you: compound/polish or just polish is to do a test spot.

I have Menzerna AIO and have only used it 1 time as I did not like the results of the detail. It is a great paperweight for my garage.
    I think the new SF3500 is the one you want (polish). That's the one I was recommended to use after the 400.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies everyone!

I tried taking pictures with my phone, but the light scratches didn't show up. For a daily driver the white flat pad and AIO worked well, but I can do better. To answer some questions, I did about 3-4 passes in a test spot with both Griot's AIO and Meguiars Ultimate Polish with white pad on speed 4 or 4.5 (can't remember). I did the test spots side-by-side and used clean white pads for both products. The results were about the same. For both products, I would prime the pad and use 4 dime-sized spots of product. I ended up doing the whole car with the AIO. The original plan was to top with Collinite 845 next weekend.

I think I am going to order some LC orange pads and give it another shot mid-summer or before fall. If the pads aren't enough, I'll get a more aggressive polish or compound.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast