autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC 7424 dead, what is a good replacement?

I didn't read all the comments get the Griot's Garage DA with a 5inch backing plate. Best part about this polisher is the lifetime Warranty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Agree the PC is probably toast. But, if you're like me and have to know why, Take it apart and inspect the brushes. After that, pull the armature and take a points file and get all the spent brush debris from between the copper. Bet it spins again.
    I like this idea.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I'll throw another option out there.

The Rupes Duetto.

It gets you into the latest large throw technology, while retaining the familiar feel of a traditional orbital, like the PC 7424/7424xp. Very smooth, and very efficient at correcting, polishing, and sealing paint. It also works as a sander, but I haven't tried sanding with it yet.

The only potential drawback is the inability to swap out for a smaller backing plate....

Just a thought!
    I know you love your PC, the feel of it the lightweight and chassis size.

But you seriously have to try the griots 6 inch.

The thing is like the PC on steroids. Every speed you can feel a difference, on speed 1 you can fix paint on the griots 6 lol.

Speed 3 is like speed 5 on the griots and it's even more comfortable with less vibration.

Speed 4 is like 6 but much more tamed and again less vibration, and you can imagine what speed 5 and 6 is like, that thing is a killer machine, and using the Porter cable with a 5 inch plate for the first time in a long time (the PC is setup for 4 inch pads)
    Reminded me how powerful the griots 6 really is.

Get your hands on one as soon as you can something tells me that it will be your favorite machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    I know you love your PC, the feel of it the lightweight and chassis size.

But you seriously have to try the griots 6 inch.

The thing is like the PC on steroids. Every speed you can feel a difference, on speed 1 you can fix paint on the griots 6 lol.

Speed 3 is like speed 5 on the griots and it's even more comfortable with less vibration.

Speed 4 is like 6 but much more tamed and again less vibration, and you can imagine what speed 5 and 6 is like, that thing is a killer machine, and using the Porter cable with a 5 inch plate for the first time in a long time (the PC is setup for 4 inch pads)
    Reminded me how powerful the griots 6 really is.

Get your hands on one as soon as you can something tells me that it will be your favorite machine.
    That reminds me of the Duetto. I don't really need to go above speed 3!

That thing has been pulling the PC out of my hands lately.

If I get the chance, I will definitely try out the GG6. I love the color scheme on that thing. Part of me wants to get the GG6, and GG3 - Kinda to go with my Griot's bag!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    T
    If I get the chance, I will definitely try out the GG6. I love the color scheme on that thing. Part of me wants to get the GG6, and GG3 - Kinda to go with my Griot's bag!
    The last time I tried a GG 3" I didn't have much power.
    If that's then case, I might suggest getting a Meguiars Soft Buff DBP3 DA Polisher 3 Inch Backing Plate for the GG 6".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Moore View Post
    The last time I tried a GG 3" I didn't have much power.
    If that's then case, I might suggest getting a Meguiars Soft Buff DBP3 DA Polisher 3 Inch Backing Plate for the GG 6".
    And that is where I prefer the PC over the GG6 - the size of the shroud. It's difficult enough to see what's going on down there than to have my sight obscured by the shroud. Maybe once I've thought "if I could spin this thing one notch faster...." regarding the PC, but most times I'm at speed 4.5-5 on that thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing about the Flex 3401 having a big forehead compared to the PC. But I only have 5.5" pads so put the smaller backing plate on the Flex, and thinking it'll be better when I buy larger pads and use the larger plate.

I'm actually posting on here because I had the same question about the PC. Mine is making catastrophic noises internally, so I retired it after 3 years and immediately bought the Flex. I'm not that bummed out about it because I think I got my money's worth. I used it pretty hard. I want to get another DA for my wife to train on and use, and the PC feels a little more user friendly than the Flex. I thought I might want to try out another brand, but didn't know anything about a lifetime warranty I might possibly have on the PC. I'm going to have to check that out.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest up till this that I have not replaced my 7424XP, I recently bought a TORQ 10FX in which I though it would be a big difference but to be honest it did not meet my expecations. PC 7424 six speeds vs TORQ 10FX has four. TORQ 10FX has a smoother start vs PC 7424 starts roaring right off the bat depending on the setting speed. One thing is that I was not happy is the fact that the TORQ 10FX tends to heat up if you do not use the screw on handle it comes with in which at times I did put it to the side. Bottom line IMO I think the 7424 XP is still good until now.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraDetailing View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about the Flex 3401 having a big forehead compared to the PC. But I only have 5.5" pads so put the smaller backing plate on the Flex, and thinking it'll be better when I buy larger pads and use the larger plate.

I'm actually posting on here because I had the same question about the PC. Mine is making catastrophic noises internally, so I retired it after 3 years and immediately bought the Flex. I'm not that bummed out about it because I think I got my money's worth. I used it pretty hard. I want to get another DA for my wife to train on and use, and the PC feels a little more user friendly than the Flex. I thought I might want to try out another brand, but didn't know anything about a lifetime warranty I might possibly have on the PC. I'm going to have to check that out.
    I've been hammering on my PC 7424xp for six years now. It's not common for them to die so quickly.

I'd buy another PC with confidence, but that's just me. I would be happy if that's the only machine I was able to have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aztec1987 View Post
    To be honest up till this that I have not replaced my 7424XP, I recently bought a TORQ 10FX in which I though it would be a big difference but to be honest it did not meet my expecations. PC 7424 six speeds vs TORQ 10FX has four. TORQ 10FX has a smoother start vs PC 7424 starts roaring right off the bat depending on the setting speed. One thing is that I was not happy is the fact that the TORQ 10FX tends to heat up if you do not use the screw on handle it comes with in which at times I did put it to the side. Bottom line IMO I think the 7424 XP is still good until now.
    sell the torq10fx and buy a GG6, it's like a PC on steroids...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123