autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

suntek clear fim, how to prep for opti coat

Hello all again, I'm sure your use to my threads by now.

My one month old maxima got a clear bra on its first day in my hands. Its suntek.

I still have not found definitive answers on can you polish (hand or machine), clay, iron x, a clear film. If you have an answer to that I would love to know.

My main question. I am going to apply opti coat opti gloss soon and am curious what prep the Film itself needs. For the car I know we have to do a. wash, ironx, clay, polish, eraser, then apply. And I'm super nervous cause it's a brand new car. Still unsure of the polish step. Question being what all needs done to the clear film? Anything , nothing, etc.

Thanks for your guidance as usual.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: suntek clear fim, how to prep for opti coat

that film should be self-healing so just inspect the condition, and assuming it's in good shape, clean it well without abrasion to assure it's perfectly clean and coat it.

keep it simple.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

As in wash, or as in decon with clay and or IPA like iron x or eraser.....thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by solar07 View Post
    As in wash, or as in decon with clay and or IPA like iron x or eraser.....thanks
    i'd just inspect it, wash with Dawn, inspect, wipe with eraser or IPA solution, inspect and coat. you could definitely wash with your favorite car shampoo too but Dawn is probably more aggressive as a stripper, so why not use it prior to coaing. some people will claim it leaves a film that mimics stripping but i don't buy that - i never had a problem with it - and who cares anyway since you will be most assuredly stripping with the eraser.

Post Thanks / Like

I coat Xpel Ultimate PPF all the time and have coated Suntek as well and all I do is give a quick IPA wipe down then apply the coating.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    some people will claim {Dawn} leaves a film that mimics stripping but i don't buy that - i never had a problem with it - and who cares anyway since you will be most assuredly stripping with the eraser.
    I'm barging in here because I just started a thread about LSP stripping--the Dawn threads were pretty convincing, with the IPA wipe after. Why is it so hard to believe that for its intended use Dawn leaves a film that causes water to sheet? That's what you want if you're washing dishes, so they don't get spots. After all, that crazy Mr. Clean spot free rinse included a wash to use before it with "sheeting action" that did the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm barging in here because I just started a thread about LSP stripping--the Dawn threads were pretty convincing, with the IPA wipe after. Why is it so hard to believe that for its intended use Dawn leaves a film that causes water to sheet? That's what you want if you're washing dishes, so they don't get spots. After all, that crazy Mr. Clean spot free rinse included a wash to use before it with "sheeting action" that did the same thing.
    i like the very lubricated, aggressive cleaning/degreasing of the Dawn that comes at a cheap price. Dawn in my experiences removes things, even visible things...and especially greasy things, that my go-to car wash doesn't or wouldn't (Optimum Car Wash). and i'm not talking about just on a car, but in general. Dawn is aggressive. so if the one drawback in a prep situation is that it somehow leaves some sort of weird film, i'm nullifying that with the additional solvent cleaning after. there are a million ways to get the net result of a clean surface for coating though.

Post Thanks / Like

i want to add something and this might clear some of the confusion up...

if one is cleaning fresh film, they are simply trying to remove oils, release chemicals...whatever the heck might be on there from production and installation to insure that the substrate is just the top coat of the film. when i say strip here, i mean all of that. there is no reason the film should have any waxes or sealants on top other than the factory self healing coating.

if i were trying to remove waxes or sealants, i'd use Power Clean.

i use Dawn to wash aggressively if i'm not using Reset or Power Clean, it just depends on the situation. and if i use IPA, it's because a coating is going on, esp. if i'm not using primer or the like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    I coat Xpel Ultimate PPF all the time and have coated Suntek as well and all I do is give a quick IPA wipe down then apply the coating.
    Do you use an actual ipa or something like eraser?

The Film is about 2 months old and has 2k mikes over it. I have washed once with foam cannon chemical guys snow soap a d mitt using two bucket method. After I used chemical guys clear film protectant. That was about two weeks ago and all that's been done. next weekend I am hoping to apply opti coat so I am just trying to clean it well. It shouldn't need a polish. I still question of any of the car does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by solar07 View Post
    Do you use an actual ipa or something like eraser?

The Film is about 2 months old and has 2k mikes over it. I have washed once with foam cannon chemical guys snow soap a d mitt using two bucket method. After I used chemical guys clear film protectant. That was about two weeks ago and all that's been done. next weekend I am hoping to apply opti coat so I am just trying to clean it well. It shouldn't need a polish. I still question of any of the car does.
    I use either Eraser or an IPA whichever I have on hand.

If you're going to coat the car then make sure you have the paint in the condition that you want it to be before coating. IMO if wont hurt to give it a polish before coating if you're unsure of the condition of the paint. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast