autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Help!!! Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish not removing, clumping

Hey all,

I'm having some problems with removing Pinnacle Black Label Surface Polish in preparation for Black Label Diamond Surface Coating application. Now, I am a former detailer, but I have been out of the business since '07, and haven't applied a coating before. Lots has happened in 7 years! I would imagine the surface needs to be free of any and all contaminants (including dust and microfiber lint) before application, or the coating would likely trap those contaminants within or underneath the coating layer, correct? With the surface polish not removing completely, I'm at a loss for how to proceed.
    I've noticed two distinct issues so far:

First the polish seems to "clump" into long, almost rolled bunches at the edges of my microfiber wiping zone towards the end of the removal wipedown... below are two pictures, from different spots:

This stuff will wipe off with micro, but is a pain in the rear, as it wants to redeposit on random areas of paint all the time. Relatively deep nap towels (Wolfgang Concours edgeless, bought on BOGO) do a decent job of containment, but it's taking one full towel per 1/2 panel! I don't have enough on hand to keep up!

The second big problem is this:

Areas are forming on the panel where the product is impossible to remove by microfiber alone (unless using a dangerous amount of pressure). I can wipe them off with my palm or fingertip, and I immediately notice the same kind of sticky clumps.

It looks as though both are a collection of microfiber lint bound together by a gummy (but not necessarily sticky) substance. I'm assuming that the gummy substance is the polish, and not underlying product like Meg's UP residue being stripped. But I could be wrong... is this the way it reacts to an underlying product? I tried applying by machine to strip a somewhat stubborn LSP towards the beginning of the process (after washing and before claying) and got the same results, which I chalked up to overworking with the polisher. I decided to hand apply since I don't have a decent DA polisher with variable speed (anyone looking to donate one to a good cause? ).
    I've tried applying the stuff with well folded microfiber towels, foam pads, terry pads, microfiber pads, using distilled water spray on the panel before and/or after, using only one "drop" of product per panel, using a large dollop per panel, wiping on then literally wiping off ... all with similar results in the end. The microfiber pad applicator with a spritz of water before removal seems to give the best results, but still leaves a lot of elbow grease behind for me to remove it all... and I'm still not certain ALL of it is gone.

Needless to say, this doesn't sound at all like the product description! I can't do this on an entire car... not to mention spending days of work only to get a failing coating if there is residual product left behind.

I did read this article, and associated threads, but had no luck with their suggestions:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...sh-vs-pbl.html

Just to summarize my conditions and procedures:

All work was done in a closed garage, with around 45% to 50% RH, at around 70 to 75 degrees.
    Car is a new 2014 Honda Accord, silver/grey metallic color. Paint was in extremely poor condition for a new car (NEVER buy a car at dusk... I learned the hard way). Lots of overspray, lots of rail dust (hidden in the grey metallic), and surface roughness (not sure if it was just overspray, but the paint was extremely "grabby" towards micro at first).
    Did a wash, LSP strip, Iron-X, Nanoskin fine sponge with glide 7:1 (which gave me dense RIDS, GRRR, not happy with that!), with Meg's UC, and Meg's UP on the test panel.
    The test panel was actually my trunk lid, as it was at a convenient height, and the worst damaged.
    I made sure to shake the bottle of SCP well, and even tried some polish direct from the bottle, bypassing the pump. No dice.

Perhaps it's a problem with my particular batch, or individual bottle I received. Maybe I just got old stock?? Although I would imagine this top quality stuff would have a 7 year plus shelf life. Is it simply a problem with my microfiber towels shedding too much? I've been using old (5 to 8 years old, when they still had nice piped edges) Meg's supreme shine micros for the initial wipedown, followed by a Wolfgang for the follow-up wipes. Do all micro. towels start degrading and shedding with age perhaps? Even on the spots that get "clean-er", there are still around 10 small bits of microfiber remaining... I can't seem to get it any cleaner than that! Is there something else that I'm missing?

Can't wait to finally get that rewarding experience worthy of Black Label!!

-Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help!!! Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish not removing, clumping

Did you try rewetting the clumps with additional product, then wiping?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really comment on all the details you posted other than to say I have used with excellent results the PBL Cleaner / Sealant (not the coating). Super easy on and off of both products. Machine applied both with Rupes DA.

I will say I HATE the pump and wish this had a flip top, you can't shake it enough to get it mixed since the pump tube is always on the bottom. I found a flip top that fits and ditched the pump, especially on the sealant. I hope someone at AG is listening.

This is the one two punch on my GC PBL Combo: This is before I topped it with Blackfire Black Ice.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you may have used too much product. I had the exact opposite when I used PBL CP it was the easiest thing I ever used. You need very little on the pad run the polisher on a relatively low speed and just a few passes are needed. I think it may be a combination of too much product and speed. Let us in more on your process with the CP specifically.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you should post your location. It's possible you have a member right around the block that could help you with this.

Post Thanks / Like

You used to much. But, you probably used a lot to prime/wet your pad. The trick is to prime the pad with DI water in a spray bottle (polish is water based) then use a few drops of product on the pad. If you do this it will wipe off quite easily.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the cleansing polish and noticed a bit of residue so I did an IPA wipedown afterwards and inspected under bright light - nothing left over so I applied the PBL coating.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the result of using too much product, dial it back and it won't be an issue
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I with the majority as far as too much product, or maybe the product got too hot and baked on (similar to compounds). In that case, cooler area, cooler pads, slower speed and less pressure would be the key

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I can't really comment on all the details you posted other than to say I have used with excellent results the PBL Cleaner / Sealant (not the coating). Super easy on and off of both products. Machine applied both with Rupes DA.

I will say I HATE the pump and wish this had a flip top, you can't shake it enough to get it mixed since the pump tube is always on the bottom. I found a flip top that fits and ditched the pump, especially on the sealant. I hope someone at AG is listening.

This is the one two punch on my GC PBL Combo: This is before I topped it with Blackfire Black Ice.

Wow! Gorgeous results! I hope I can eventually get to something similar, but it won't be nearly as awesome as with that nice black color.

As far as the bottle design... The flip top would be nice! There simply isn't a way around wasting product and mixing well with a polish of this thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Did you try rewetting the clumps with additional product, then wiping?
    I believe so, but can't remember the results... which means they were likely negative. I'll try this with my next round of detailing today just to see the results. Still, the holy grail here is a minimal pass WOWO procedure, and rewetting will take time.

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    Sounds like you may have used too much product. I had the exact opposite when I used PBL CP it was the easiest thing I ever used. You need very little on the pad run the polisher on a relatively low speed and just a few passes are needed. I think it may be a combination of too much product and speed. Let us in more on your process with the CP specifically.
    I agree, it does sound that way, and that was my initial guess as well!

I literally used a drop about 3 to 5 mm in diameter to prime the pad and for the initial passes, and still got the same results. Generally a PITA to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Perhaps you should post your location. It's possible you have a member right around the block that could help you with this.
    Good call! I'd love some help. I'm in Gastonia, NC, which is just outside of Charlotte, NC. Not exactly the detailing mecca of the world... but with the rich racing heritage in the area, I'd say there is an above average love for all things automotive.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    You used to much. But, you probably used a lot to prime/wet your pad. The trick is to prime the pad with DI water in a spray bottle (polish is water based) then use a few drops of product on the pad. If you do this it will wipe off quite easily.
    I'll try priming the pad with the DI water spray first and see what happens!

Also, how much product do you recommend reapplying between sections?

I did try spraying DI water directly on the panel after application to aid in the removal (all of the panel, not just the clumped spots), which helped, but then of course, you're working wet... which uses-up more decent towels than I have available =(.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    I with the majority as far as too much product, or maybe the product got too hot and baked on (similar to compounds). In that case, cooler area, cooler pads, slower speed and less pressure would be the key
    Yes, it definitely got worse when using the cheap DA (with a micro bonnet). I noticed it overheated after only 4 passes as well... so I toned it down to two, but still got some overheating... so I went to hand application after those first two tries.

As far as my general method that did produce the best results (with some stubborn product left).
    I used a 3mm to 5mm drop (imagine a sphere here) on a microfiber pad (not the best quality micro, maybe not even split fiber), then rubbed the product into an approximately 1 to 1.5 sq. ft. area with two total passes. Then, I immediately removed with a supreme shine MF, which left some residue behind... then followed this with the Wolfgang Concours MF, Wolfgang Concours-Series Microfiber Towel, german towel. Still took some elbow grease with the wolfgang.

So things I think I'll try today:
    -Priming the applicator pad with Dist. water
    -Using as little product as possible
    -Using just the wolfgang MF alone in removal

Also, I just washed and dried the wolfgangs alone, with wolfgang MF detergent, which will hopefully minimize the stray microfiber lint.

I'll try to get some additional details on everything that I do this time around and get back on the forums late tonight. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Also, as a side note, how well does the BL surface coating hide scratches, if at all? I'm trying to minimize the time spent on correction... and the depth removed from my new car's clear coat... as I unfortunately picked up a few RIDS somewhere over the last 3 months or in detailing this week. =(

Why is it that everything seems to go so much smoother on paper? Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast