autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not So Easy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not So Easy

Quote Originally Posted by DP4Duke View Post
    I did not apply Synergy with the machine because I could not get the wax to pop out of the container and I do not have a pad that small,

DP4Duke: In order for me to use a paste wax on my PC, I often have to use a small butter knife and take a little of the wax out of the can and spread it around on the pad. This doesn't have to be like smearing butter all over a biscuit, just use the tip of the knife and pull a pea-sized piece of wax out and spread it on the pad and do this two or three times to the pad to get a workable amount of wax on it.

After doing this for a little bit, you'll get the hang of this type of application.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Not So Easy

I very much appreciate all the advice and input and will take each person's comments into consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    DP4Duke: In order for me to use a paste wax on my PC, I often have to use a small butter knife and take a little of the wax out of the can and spread it around on the pad. This doesn't have to be like smearing butter all over a biscuit, just use the tip of the knife and pull a pea-sized piece of wax out and spread it on the pad and do this two or three times to the pad to get a workable amount of wax on it.

After doing this for a little bit, you'll get the hang of this type of application.

Great advise, I've been using a rounded 1" putty knife in the same manner. Remember thin is in, can't say that enough. A little goes along way when machine applying.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Use the short side of an old credit card to scrape a small amount of wax out of the tin then use the same credit card to lightly 'butter' the pad. No need to take the wax out of the tin, buy more tools or find smaller pads.

Other than maybe Leatherique products, is thick ever 'in'? The most over used comment on every detailing forum.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

expdetailing stated, "Don't fall into the trap of believing that a pbl surface cleansing polish is needed." Since I only applied one coat of Synergy, I thought I would follow up with another coat of wax in one or two months. Is it the opinion of most members that the surface cleansing polish may not be needed if I apply another coat of wax? The car is fairly new and well-protected.

Post Thanks / Like

expdetailing stated, "Don't fall into the trap of believing that a pbl surface cleansing polish is needed." Since I only applied one coat of Synergy, I thought I would follow up with another coat of wax in one or two months. Is it the opinion of most members that the surface cleansing polish may not be needed if I apply another coat of wax? The car is fairly new and well-protected.
    You won't need to use the SCP every time to top it off. Just initially and every once and a while to strip it and start fresh. It's probably a good idea to clay, strip, polish, every 6 months more or less.

Post Thanks / Like

I applied Synergy on my car today and found it to be rather difficult to apply and not so easy to remove. I clayed and used the cleansing polish prior to doing this. I also applied Black Label Paint Sealant prior to using Synergy.

I am aware of the debate of using a sealant and a wax. After my experience, I must say that I see no difference in the shine after applying Synergy. In fact, I was disappointed with the product, from the application to the visible result. I have read how easy Synergy is to apply so I am a bit concerned as to why I did not have that experience. I am also concerned about spending close to $200 on a wax that gave me less than expected results. I should have stuck with the sealant, as it looked spectacular after applying it.

I would appreciate any advice or tips on this issue, as I would like to figure out why the Synergy gave less than spectacular results.
    Don't feel bad. There are few select human beings on this planet with such accute visual perception that they can discern the actual difference between sealant only and a wax "layered" on top of one. You nor I, apparently, are one of those gifted individuals, therefore it is largely a waste of time (and product). Save the wax for next time and see which you like better - sealant OR wax.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't comment on synergy as I have never used it, but I have used the Fuzion, which I can't imagine that the two are much different. Perhaps same product in a different container. In any scenario, fuzion was as easy to apply as Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant and as easy to remove as Wolfgang Deep Gloss sealant. The key here is "thin". Apply WGDGS too thick and you will struggle... same with fuzion, I'd imagine same for synergy.

My observations on a jet black car
    WGDGS + Fuzion, the fuzion actually took some gloss away but made it appear deeper. Mind you it's minimal, but it did. Also, took some of the sleekness off. I tried Fuzion one one panel and WGDGS on one, I like the WGDGS look better plus it feels super duper uper slick.

Did an experiment with Callonite #915 on top of WGDGS and found similar results, the #915 took some of the gloss away, but did make it appear deeper. Took more of the sleekness off compared to the fuzion. Also, panels topped with wax over WGDGS seemed to attract more dust.

My conclusion... sealant for glossy and wet look. Sealant make surface sleeeeek. Sealant to keep car clean longer. Wax for depth.

Conclusion #2... I'm a sealant guy, wont waste money on waxes.

Conclusion #3... callonite #915 applied thin stands up to fuzion in terms of appearance but fuzion is more forgiving.

To the OP, if you can't see the difference, dont waste your money. I can notice a difference, but it's so minimal that I dont see the point.

p.s. on white, sealant all the way, wax is just pure waste of money imho

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123