autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which wax to make flake pop and add depth!!

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    I feel accomplished in life now I got a real response out of Bob!! Thank you Bob.
    Thank you for the kind words, and not gloss-ing over
    an example of a shine-ing response!!

Notes:
    1.) All of my responses are "real"...

Only the names have been changed:
    To protect the innocent. (~Jack Webb ca. 1967)

2.) More on Gloss and Shiny to follow.

TO WIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by ayankeeman1968 View Post
    I like keeping it simple and Ive learned so much here so that said I have no experience with the waxes you speak of but what I do to acheive max shine and wetness is prep prep prep and polish polish polish that's where your "shine" comes from as Ive learned imo
    Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    I use the BF kit.. But I'm of the belief that proper polishing will give you the look and all the toppers are just to preserve.
    o
    When it comes to BC/CC paint systems and LSPs...
    (Especially: Waxes...for this thread's theme):

-What is Gloss?
    Gloss is where light is allowed to pass through a substance/material, so the light illuminates and reflects the substrate.
    (Such is the relationship between a "perfected", polished CC, and the BC. The reflected color dazzles the eyes!!)

What is Shine?
    -Shine is where the light is reflected before it reaches the substrate. (The reflected light dazzles the eyes!!)

Then:
    -What role, if any, does silicones...and their refractive indices have in LSPs?
    FWIW:
    The refractive index of a certain polydimethylsiloxane-fluid is ~1.4. But with a little molecular modification the refractive index can be increased or decreased.

-What about silicones' abilities and characteristics of:
    "wetting", spreading, creating thin self-leveling films, low surface tension, and little internal friction, among others?

Many more variables can be further discussed/debated at later time.

For now:
    I won't go as far to say that any given LSP does...or doesn't: add (or subtract) gloss, or shine.

However:
    -I will say that, IMHO, LSPs actually do:
    "Play With Light"!!

-Isn't it how a person discerns their playful-mood, that is subjective?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I just did NO prep work (other than a wash) on a neglected 09 Equinox and the proto93 made a BIG BIG difference in the "pop" of the flake in the cherry metallic paint. I know polish and prep has some to do with the clarity of the paint but I can tell you with 100% confidence that a wax CAN upgrade the look of a car...it wont last like a polish will but it does change it.

My choice (until after (if) 93 gets released) would be Pinnacle Souveran
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    I use the BF kit.. But I'm of the belief that proper polishing will give you the look and all the toppers are just to preserve.

Sent from my Alien ship

Bingo!! I agree with HD.Detailing, Jaretr1 and yankeeman1968. I believe the prepping stage is the most important. Done right, the shine is already there. Adding a sealant/wax or whatever protection as the LSP will make no difference in the "shininess" of a vehicle. A sealant will keep that shine and IMO that is about it.

However, I believe wax brings the depth and wet look of a vehicle. You can tell the difference. It's hard to explain unless you physically see it. IMO with pictures; you can't tell. At least that is what I experience and that I suck at taking pictures with a camera.

The wax that I use (currently) is Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax. IMO, it is the best wax I have tried so far (and I have tested quite a few). I like trying different waxes for fun. I am going to try Zymol Concourse wax very soon. I need to find the time to strip the car and put the wax on that to compare with Dodo Juice SN.

I am sure all of the waxes mentioned in this thread will do just fine. But if it was me....hands down Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax. Again, my $.02 cents worth. Time will tell if I did the right thing with the Zymol Concourse wax.

Have an awesome day and please tell us which wax you went with and why!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I just did NO prep work (other than a wash) on a neglected 09 Equinox and the proto93 made a BIG BIG difference in the "pop" of the flake in the cherry metallic paint. I know polish and prep has some to do with the clarity of the paint but I can tell you with 100% confidence that a wax CAN upgrade the look of a car...it wont last like a polish will but it does change it.

My choice (until after (if) 93 gets released) would be Pinnacle Souveran
    Thank you Don good to hear from someone who had the same experience I did with this lovely wax. Have you tried many others??

I think I really need to get Drew to take some money from me if he would .

Post Thanks / Like
    Souveran, Megs gold class, collinite 845/476, eagle one nanno, and CG Extreme top coat. None better so far in my opinion. I'm sure there's wax as good out there but like I said I'm not spending $50 on a can unless #93 is released

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Adding a sealant/wax or whatever protection as the LSP will make no difference in the "shininess" of a vehicle. A sealant will keep that shine and IMO that is about it.

However, I believe wax brings the depth and wet look of a vehicle.
    Nope...You are mistaken:
    The branch of Physics known as Optics, says otherwise.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Bob you never answered on longevity of 26. And looks like souveran may be out unless I use it as a topper to something like BFWD or WGDGPS. Seeing as from what I've read I would have to apply it with almost every wash since my car is a weathered DD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    Bob you never answered on longevity of 26. And looks like souveran may be out unless I use it as a topper to something like BFWD or WGDGPS. Seeing as from what I've read I would have to apply it with almost every wash since my car is a weathered DD.
    Durability and Variables:
    You know better than me, with what conditions the vehicle that's going to be M26'ed may be confronted.

Like most waxes...4-6 weeks is a likely time period...before M26 may have to be refreshed.

Being that BFWD and WGDGPS are a different type of LSP, altogether, than Waxes:
    Are you going in that direction now?

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Durability and Variables:
    You know better than me, with what conditions the vehicle that's going to be M26'ed may be confronted.

Like most waxes...4-6 weeks is a likely time period...before M26 may have to be refreshed.

Being that BFWD and WGDGPS are a different type of LSP, altogether, than Waxes:
    Are you going in that direction now?

Bob
    No I was just looking into souveran paste and it seemed the longevity was worst than most and I wouldn't be able to apply that often (especially come winter time). So I figured I could layer that or something else on top of the aforementioned. I guess I'm still best off with a sealant. But just love the look that the SON1C Protowax is giving my car.

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. I agree with your response as far as optics. I believe what my eyes see and just about every LSP I have tried has changed something with the appearance of a just freshly polished car or not even for that matter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast