autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Label Coating - Streaking -_-_- Follow with what now??

Hi guys and you too Detail Kitty / Monica.

Developed a problem today and I need a fix for it BEFORE 10:00 tomorrow morning.

We just finished up on coating a Jaguar Vanden Plas for a new client. (Nationwide Body Shop chain, that could end up providing some regular work.)

The car itself is really nothing special. Its been repainted on the left side, has 181,000 miles on it, and the hood and deck lid have also been repainted and or blended during this last visit to the body shop.

The owner evidently was insistent that this car has had (operative phrase) "has had" a coating installed, somewhere back in Missouri. And of course she doesn't know what it is/was and there is absolutely no evidence in the car that would show what product had been used such as certificates or holographic stickers etc.

Long story short when they asked if I could apply a coating to this vehicle I said sure, and gave them a price. That was the day it had came out of the paint booth and still needed an extensive amount of work done to it.

I told the body shop manager at the time that the price was dependent upon them doing all of the color sanding, cutting and buffing, and final polishing as if they were going to deliver the vehicle to the customer.

This would assure that everything runs smoother, faster, and save both them (the Body Shop), and the insurance company, a great deal of money.

I mean sure if they wanted to hire us to do all of the work that the body shop can do and pay more for it, that's fine with me.

BUT.... It'll be much quicker for them to do the best possible job they know how, then hand it over to us for completion. After all, this is where we do "What We Do"!

Without getting into just how bad of a job they did prepping the vehicle prior to handing it over to us I need first to describe the problem I'm having because I need a solution to this ASAP!!!

We ended up doing a 2 stage compound & polish on the entire right side of the vehicle and roof. Plus a medium cut compound on the hood and trunk.... before any of the above could be polished. (All along however we were only supposed to be doing a light final polishing on the entire vehicle and then going over the entire thing with paint cleansing polish prior to applying the PBL coating.

It was delivered bright n early via a rollback last Saturday morning. After a quick snow foam (or two)and the breaking out of various Nanoskin pads of all shapes and sizes we were on our way.

By the time we went to bed Saturday night the right side was compounded with 101 along with the hood and roughest areas of the roof and the trunk lid.

Sunday afternoon rolls around and from there it was time to FINALLY GET TO POLISHING. (Remember, we were not supposed to have to compound anything what so ever!)

Polished the hood, roof along with both front fenders, and started into the doors.
    Then before stopping for the evening we applied first round of PBL Paint Cleansing Polish. Typically we'll do the cleansing polish by hand, and remove it by hand.

So before turning in Sunday night we had the hood, both front fenders, the roof, and the trunk all coated!

Then of course Monday and Tuesday evenings were spent polishing the rest of the vehicle and applying PBL coating to that as well.

You may have noticed by now that I said "evenings" on more than one occasion. This is because I am currently fighting with an insane amount of pain with ruptured and herniated discs in my lumbar spine, which does not allow me to work AT ALL by myself.

Without my most amazing, beautiful, and hard working wife this job just simply would not have gotten done!!!!!

I'm not sure how much she actually enjoys detailing vehicles with me but I know that she doesn't hate it! And I know we have a good time doing it. (As good as we can considering how bad I feel.)

And from where I'm lying down at (notice I did not say from where I'm standing) because as of late it is very VERY HARD for me to stand, and walk, MUCH LESS BENDING (at any degree what so ever) is all but impossible.

Anyhow, we finally get the Jag done and we get the coatng all done on it last night (Tuesday).

I had originally I told body shop that we had to keep it for the coating to cure without any moisture, for a minimum of 24 hours. Therefore they could pick it up either Wednesday afternoon late or early Thursday morning.

Having said everything that I've said thus far I'm finally getting to the point of this freaking thread!!!!!!

This afternoon I pulled the car outside to give it its final dusting before calling them telling them to send a rollback for it.

I had previously picked up the Pinnacle Black Label booster / detailing / maintenance kit. So why not use either a few a little quick spritzes of the booster or Black Label detailing spray, right?

I mean after all this stuff is purpose made for the Black Label coating, it has a synergy doesn't it? That's what they told us after all, right?

So the question is do you use an ever so slight amount of detailing spray on your favorite 700 GSM microfiber towel?

OR.....

What about a few spritzes of "booster" after all it does say that you can use it to boost your coating and achieve better gloss and shine and protection!

First WHAT I DON'T like!!!

So far with the exception of the shampoo all of the pinnacle black label products spray when you press the button or pull the trigger. There is some sort of atomization of product going on and results in a spray. (That is a GOOD thing, so to speak.)

With the exception of spraying in the wind where you end up losing anywhere from a small amount to most all of what you're trying spray.

The Black Label detailing spray is a very fine mist very very fine spray but it does spray and it is perfect for spraying on your favorite microfiber towel and then apply applying to the surface of your vehicle.

The pinnacle Black Label coating booster however was quite a shock. It does not spray, instead it squirts! It squirts a rather narrow beam like a squirt gun which tends to splatter all over the place when you're trying to say spray the roof and not get it all over the sunroof, or spray the hood and not get it all over the windshield!

OTOH if you are spraying it onto an applicator and then applying it as you would a a coating then you don't have to worry so much about losing product into the four winds.

However I still digress.

After we figured out which one squirted and which one misted we decided to use a plush 700 GSM towel and dust the car prior to pulling it out into the sunshine.

Inside our detailing space we have fluorescent lighting, we have high output fluorescent lighting, we have halogen lighting, we have hi output LED lighting, we have incandescent lighting,we have led inspection lights, we have xenon lighting....... basically there is no shortage of lighting!

Once we pulled this beautiful black Jaguar out into the Sun today however we (my son and I) almost became suicidal!

We don't know if it was the booster or if it was the detail spray but something has caused this thing to streak like nobody's business!!!!

I'm not sure that it is the product needing leveling because the 1st of the product was put on Sunday and we never noticed any of these problems.

It seems to be more of an interaction between either the booster or the detailing spray.

FWIW I don't use the yellow foam applicator because it seems a bit 'thirsty' so I use the typical suede microfiber method. And this is the first time that I've ever experienced streaking like this with this product.

BTW This Jag isn't solid black, it's a VERY FINE metallic. From arms length you cannot tell that it's metallic. Literally, you have to get right up on it to tell that its not a solid color.

So any ideas as to what is causing this streaking as bad as it is?

I had to pull it back inside to do anything else to it because it is so cold outside that no liquids will dry on the surface.

ONR? (With or without 'wax')?
    Megs Ultimate Detailing Spray?
    Megs D156?
    DG 951?
    Yet another shot at Black Label Detailing Spray?
    Black Label paint cleansing polish?
    Pinnacle paint cleansing lotion ?

This one falls under " #HELP "

I have got to deliver this car in the morning before it starts raining! (And or sleeting and snowing AGAIN!!!!!)

(Did speak with Brian this evening and hopefully Nick will have an answer early tomorrow.)

Guess we'll see, huh?!?!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Label Coating - Streaking -_-_- Follow with what now??

Was this Coating applied to any of the vehicle's re-spray, before it had time to complete it's solvents' "outgassing/curing?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no authority, but let me ask, did you try just another wipe down with just a clean dry MF Towel? Could it be high spots that weren't properly leveled?

I know this is probably a dumb response, and fully reading what you wrote, you state that all looked perfect prior to the booster-detailer being used, and with the ample lighting, one would believe you would've seen such anomalies right away?

I have had the same exact thoughts as FUNX725 also had though, that why would a person coat, or even use any wax, or sealant that soon after paint work being done?

I would think that even after sitting in a booth baking, that time still must be allowed for further paint curing?

Perhaps all that should've been done was the compounding, polishing, and then only a glaze like Megs #7 after?

Wish I could be of more help.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

The only other guess was to not use anything so soon after the coating was applied? Again, I'm drawing straws here, and I assume that there's no explicit directions, or cautions about this with the GL Booster, or Detailing product?

Post Thanks / Like
    From reading your post, and my knowledge of streaking, it sounds like its a post-coating problem. Meaning its either the booster or the detailer. You may have used too much of either or both. You mentioned a stream from the booster, this may have led to using too much product. Are you sure you had the trigger turned to the proper spray setting?

Also, did you spray the detailer onto the paint or onto the mf? I'm guessing directly on the paint is the better choice.

My suggestion is try a dry wipedown, if no luck, try another go with the detailer. If still no luck, maybe give a waterless wash a try on the problem areas.

Since you mentioned not seeing it after the coating cured, i don't suspect high spots.

Good luck!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before the 30 day cure time?
    YES! (Yet PBL claims to be able to be applied with water born paint systems as they both have some of their own "off gassing" going on. ) Somewhere I read an article to that effect as well.

The car is a 2000 model, and the paint job is a mix of new bc/cc and blended cc over old bc. Plus the right side is original. BOY WAS IT ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!

Given my choice it'd have been a decent buff-n-polish with a sealant (at best).
    But the owner has been jumping up and down with the insurance company (the one with a gecco as their mascot) something AWEFUL about how she had a "coating" on her car and if you were a fly on the wall it'd probably sound like; "You be gonna PAY for me to get dat paint pro-texion like what I had!"

So to both call her bluff and placate her they found a price they can live with. I do know had it been 2 other shops in town that what I did for $800 (after discounts) would have easily been twice that.

What threw me is the OLD PAINT side smeared as well.

It just has to be something with the booster and PBL QD. My son was dusting it with the QD AND A 700gsm towel. (By spraying on the towel first. )

Then he picked up the bottle (that he THOUGHT was QD) and sprayed the towel. Except that one was solid, wet, squirts!

Heck, right now I have no freaking idea. Tried ONR, but it was so cold nothing would dry on the surface.

Tried DI water same thing, its so cold that nothing dries, plus DI has zero lubricity in it whatsoever!

I can tell you this: I would bet my entire free that there never was..... ONE DROP of coating on this car. People that spring for a coating tend to keep their cars up. This puppy has so many markings on my VIF that you can't even read them all.

And I didn't even TOUCH the interior! (Falling headliner and all.)

It's a shame that my sons 98 4 runner 2 wheel drive Limited that cost less than 1/3 of what this car did in 2000 is now worth more then this car is! (Considering it has 181,000 miles on it. ) literally spent 10%+ of the value on buffing the paint.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post

The pinnacle Black Label coating booster however was quite a shock.

It does not spray, instead it squirts! It squirts a rather narrow beam like a squirt gun which tends to splatter all over the place when you're trying to say spray the roof and not get it all over the sunroof, or spray the hood and not get it all over the windshield!

Really?

I have NEVER had one of these sprayers squirt like a squirt gun, only spray out a fine atomized mist.

After reading your above statement I went out to the warehouse, grabbed a brand new bottle of the detailer and the booster, shook them well, pushed the lever to the >on< position, gave the trigger on both a healthy pull and both products atomized the liquid like normal.

Call Nick this morning and cite this thread, (I'll have already sent him the link to it), and he'll send you either a new sprayer or a replacement bottle of product.

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post

So any ideas as to what is causing this streaking as bad as it is?

Real simple... a streak or a dark patch is nothing more than excess product not removed.

Think about it.... if the paint looks normal in some areas but other areas are darker, what could be the difference between the paint in these two areas? The difference is trace residue not removed.

I would first to simply give the area a slow wipe with a plush soft microfiber towel. Like I describe here,

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish

Note: The final wiping technique is not for the initial wiping-off of the wax or paint sealant, but instead is for after the majority of product has been already been removed and now all you’re doing is giving the finish a final wipe.

Turning a diamond in the rough into a glistening gemstone
    You started early in the morning by washing the car, then you clayed the paint, then removed all the swirls and scratches, then polished the finish to a super high gloss and after that you applied your favorite wax or paint sealant. You’ve taken a diamond in the rough and turned it into a glistening gemstone. After removing the wax or the paint sealant it’s time to give the paint one last final wipe to remove any trace residues and showcase all your hard work.

Here’s a tip to help you insure there are no streaks or smears left on the paint and a technique that on some hard to work on paints that might be just the ticket for creating the perfect finish in any lighting condition.

The Final Wipe
    After all the work is done, when it’s time to give the paint the final wipe-down before you stand back and say to yourself it is finished, and then you take your pride and joy for a spin around the block or turn the keys back over to the owner, you usually want and need to give the paint a final wipe-down to insure you didn’t miss any spots and to remove any trace residues off the paint that can stand out like a sore thumb in the right light at the right angle that will so easily distract everyone’s attention from the work of art you’ve created.

This technique can often times help you to remove any stubborn streaks or uneven looking areas on the paint, and it’s exactly opposite of what I’ve often seen enthusiasts and detailers do my entire car detailing life.

The Technique
    The technique is to wipe the paint down slowly using your best, premium quality microfiber polishing cloth using gentle, even pressure. Fold your polishing cloth 4-ways to provide plenty of cushion to help spread out the pressure from your hand as best as you can over the face of the folded microfiber.

Fold your microfiber polishing cloth to create plenty of cushion to help spread out the pressure from your hand and to give you 8 dedicated wiping sides.

The secret to this technique is purposefully moving your hand and wiping cloth s-l-o-w-l-y over the paint, not like a spastic crazy guy moving his hand at light-speed over the surface.

How it works
    The way this works is really quite simple but let me break it down for you into simple terms so everyone can understand. When making the final wipe, your job is to remove all trace residues from the previously applied wax or paint sealant; that’s your job. While to the human eye the surface of your car’s paint looks smooth and flat, under a microscope it’s actually a landscape of hills and valleys, (which is high spots and low spots), as well as pits and pores and interstices. (Interstices = microscopic gaps and cracks in the paint)

Trace residues remain in the lower imperfections on the surface and when you move a polishing cloth over the surface the fiber’s of the polishing cloth grab onto and removes residues off the high points the easiest. Again, your job is to remove all the trace residues and do it in such a way that you do no harm to the highly polished surface at the same time, thus you need to use a premium quality microfiber, folded 4-ways to help spread out the pressure of your hand.

Now think about it, if you’re moving the microfiber quickly over the surface how much time do the residues on the surface have to transfer to the cloth? Seconds? Milliseconds? That’s not very long.

That’s why wiping like a mad man won’t remove streaks or residues and could possibly inflict swirls and scratches back into the finish.

Slow down to speed up
    Instead, how about moving the polishing cloth slowly over the surface and enabling the microscopic sized fibers to get into the low portions where once they make contact with any remaining wax or polymers, the residue will have time to transfer from the paint to the cloth?

This is called the final wiping technique and most people would agree it makes sense. It also works most of the time for stubborn streaks that sometimes show up on dark colored paints but it’s also just a good technique when working on highly polished surfaces where your or your customer’s expectations are high.

If you’ve ever spent upwards of 8 hours and/or longer polishing out the paint to perfection on your car, or a customer’s car then you know how much work goes into,
    • Washing the car.
    • Evaluating the surface.
    • Claying the paint.
    • Taping off trim, body lines, emblems and badges as well as hard, thin edges.
    • Removing swirls, scratches and other paint imperfections.
    • Polishing the paint to a high gloss.
    • Applying the wax or paint sealant.
    • Removing the tape and carefully wiping off any left-over residues around body lines and trim.
    • Removing the first and subsequent coats of wax or paint sealant.
    Now it’s time for the final wipe and the last thing you want is to do anything that could potentially instill any new swirls or scratches into the now pristine finish.

That’s why as you progress through the process, after each step you have to be more and more careful when wiping off any compounds or polishes and usually as you progress through the process the quality of your wiping cloth increases along with your carefulness as that’s how show car finishes are achieved. You can’t just wipe with any old towel and do it in any old way. Show car work demands focusing on the task at hand and using your best skills and your best tools to reach the goal of a flawless show car finish.

Rushing at the very end doesn’t make sense and if you instill swirls and scratches because you’re wiping off the car like a lunatic or not using your best quality polishing cloths, then that’s working backwards in the process.

Simply put, sometimes you have to slow down to speed up.

That is, sometimes using a slow wiping motion, or slow rate of travel, will be more effective at removing all trace residues and enable to reach your goal versus moving your hand and polishing cloth quickly over the paint. Sure at the end of the process you’re tired and ready to clean-up and be done with the car but the technique you use for your final wipe-down of the paint needs to be calculated, methodical and precise. And after you make the final pass and you lift your hand and polishing cloth off the paint you can stand back and admire your work and then say, “It is finished”.

*****End of article*****

If the above final wipe moving the towel very slowly over the surface does not remove the excess residues then at least you know the residues have a tight or strong bond to the paint.

Next I would try misting the detailer onto one side of a clean microfiber towel and then repeating the slow wipe.

Let me know if any of the above helps...

I too have seen streaks with the coatings, not the detailer or the booster but I have seen streaks all my life with just about any LSP. It's just a visible sign of un-removed product.

Post Thanks / Like

Having just played with both the PBL booster and the detailer this week, I have some thoughts.

My booster bottle did squirt over time, but it was because of a white build-up on the nozzle (I'm assuming this is the nano-silica magic that is just too awesome for earth's atmosphere). After wiping off the build-up from the nozzle, it atomized great.

I also found that applying PBL booster by spraying on a panel and wiping with a towel was hit or miss in cold temps with cold panels (like at or below freezing). It was leaving a lot of high spots right where it was sprayed on the panel and where the towel was initially applied to the paint. These high spots took a little passion to remove. Applying directly to a yellow foam applicator and wiping on yielded the best results for me. It sounds like you are not a fan of yellow applicators, but that may be a better option if the towel isn't working for you with PBL booster.

The PBL detailer has given me no streaking in cold temps on cold panels. Areas that were applied heavy buffed off easily if they were addressed immediately.

I'm thinking this is the booster streaking. Maybe Mike/Nick know the best way to remove excess PBL booster (another coat or just hit it with the PBL detailer?)

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    Having just played with both the PBL booster and the detailer this week, I have some thoughts.

My booster bottle did squirt over time, but it was because of a white build-up on the nozzle (I'm assuming this is the nano-silica magic that is just too awesome for earth's atmosphere). After wiping off the build-up from the nozzle, it atomized great.

I also found that applying PBL booster by spraying on a panel and wiping with a towel was hit or miss in cold temps with cold panels (like at or below freezing). It was leaving a lot of high spots right where it was sprayed on the panel and where the towel was initially applied to the paint. These high spots took a little passion to remove. Applying directly to a yellow foam applicator and wiping on yielded the best results for me. It sounds like you are not a fan of yellow applicators, but that may be a better option if the towel isn't working for you with PBL booster.

The PBL detailer has given me no streaking in cold temps on cold panels. Areas that were applied heavy buffed off easily if they were addressed immediately.

I'm thinking this is the booster streaking. Maybe Mike/Nick know the best way to remove excess PBL booster (another coat or just hit it with the PBL detailer?)
    Are too I think this has more to do list the incompatibility off the booster nozzle and the Earth's atmosphere!

After bringing it in last night and letting it bake for a number of hours underneath a multitude of various lighting paraphernalia it seems to have helped with any high spots that may or may not have been related to lack of product drying correctly.

FWIW We always use the yellow foam applicator that comes with the kits for the glass coating.

Although I still feel that it applies to much product on painted surfaces, ( or at least it certainly absorbs more product then my tried and true suede microfiber applicators.

With rain on the way again this morning we pulled it back outside along with the plethora of lights that seem to follow this car everywhere ( by now our neighbors must think we're nuts)!

There we're actually only about 3 high spots remaining. Which were taken care of with a few carefully placed spritzes of PBL QD Spray.

As for the booster spitting and squirting that problem still remains. And when taking into context how bad it looked yesterday afternoon it had to have been the combination of both QD Spray and a MASSIVE overload of product on the towel from the "booster".

Now if I can only get a roll back here in time to get this car delivered back to the body shop before it freaking rains on it!

Mike Phillips

Thanks for sharing the above. I have not seen any kind of build-up on the outside of the nozzle, at least not as of yet. I do keep all our products in our very nice garage or warehouse where the climate is controlled. I also have a tendency to wipe the bottles down as I take pictures of them in my write-ups, so it could be I'm cleaning them without even looking at them.

I'll try to take note in the future.

Hard to say... one thing, it's kind of a sign of some real "stuff" in the bottle.

As I posted previously, I have seen some streaking and dark patches but nothing a soft wipe has not overcome. Could be our shop environment?

I have a black Tahoe tomorrow and I'm planning on coating it so I'll pay close attention to the surface at the end of the project.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast