autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Reload as a topper for Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    For me, the main reason to look for a coating spray topper like reload would be to retain that incredible hydrophobic properties and self cleaning of the original coating, and of course it would keep that surface ultra protected, vs a sealant or a wax.
    I just don't get your above analogy:

How in the World would the original Coating's (PBL's) incredible hydrophobic and self-cleaning properties
    be manifested if they're covered-up with a spray topper like Reload?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

How in the World would the original Coating's (PBL's) incredible hydrophobic and self-cleaning properties

Bob
    That's my question in a nutshell, per my original post about this I mentioned that the coating is LOSING some of those very abilities after 3 weeks and two washes (with black label soap).

I'm looking to retain those properties by adding a coating based spray every month or so.. As I understand it, that's exactly what reload is.

Macro

Post Thanks / Like

That's my question in a nutshell, per my original post about this I mentioned that the coating is LOSING some of those very abilities after 3 weeks and two washes (with black label soap).

I'm looking to retain those properties by adding a coating based spray every month or so.. As I understand it, that's exactly what reload is.

Macro
    Again:
    Even if it's possible...
    How would you know if the PBL Coating was being "retained" if it
    was being covered up with Reload or some other "topper"?

It's attributes, surely, would not be evident.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Again:
    Even if it's possible...
    How would you know if the PBL Coating was being "retained" if any of it
    was being covered up with Reload or some other "topper"?

Bob
    I agree with you - you wouldn't. And that's why I was asking about topping it first, as one of the main reasons I went with a coating this time was the idea that it would be super glossy, slick and protect all by itself for up to three years.

I don't want to top it with anything if I don't have to, but judging by how the slickness and hydrophobic properties of that coating has diminished since its first application it's got me trying to figure out an alternative.

Macro

Post Thanks / Like

Losing it's beading/sheeting properties?

Did you prep the paint correctly?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you - you wouldn't. And that's why I was asking about topping it first, as one of the main reasons I went with a coating this time was the idea that it would be super glossy, slick and protect all by itself for up to three years.

I don't want to top it with anything if I don't have to, but judging by how the slickness and hydrophobic properties of that coating has diminished since its first application it's got me trying to figure out an alternative.

Macro
    Just to note:
    Many of "The Coatings" attributes are not easily accepted by some that expect them to behave,
    at least to a certain degree, as do Waxes and Sealants.

Another point:
    One aspect of the car-washing process that is, oftentimes, overlooked:
    If all of a car-wash product's surfactants have not been totally, thoroughly rinsed-off/removed...
    they can actually cause the appearance that a Coating's (and other LSP's as well) attributes:
    Have been compromised.

Check your PBL Wash's dilution ratio; and, re-wash/rinse, rinse, rinse. And rinse some more.
    "Top-up"? If you so desire.

Side bar:
    I'm no longer going to interfere with your choice of any Coating-topper(s).
    ^^^.........................{Good News, or what!! LOL}.........................^^^

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Just to note:
    Many of "The Coatings" attributes are not easily accepted by some that expect them to behave,
    at least to a certain degree, as do Waxes and Sealants.

Another point:
    One aspect of the car-washing process that is, oftentimes, overlooked:
    If all of a car-wash product's surfactants have not been totally, thoroughly rinsed-off/removed...
    they can actually cause the appearance that a Coating's (and other LSP's as well) attributes:
    Have been compromised.

Check your PBL Wash's dilution ratio; and, re-wash/rinse, rinse, rinse. And rinse some more.
    "Top-up"? If you so desire.

Side bar:
    I'm no longer going to interfere with your choice of any Coating-topper(s).
    ^^^.........................{Good News, or what!! LOL}.........................^^^

Bob
    That's a really good point. Next time I wash my truck, I will double check to rinse very thoroughly.

After all, it's only the 2nd time I have used the black label soap, and the directions are to use one pump per gallon, so I used 4 gallons of water and 4 pumps.

And don't get me wrong, the truck looks great - I used to use Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 and would top that as needed with CG hybrid V7, and that was a great combo for my grey Land Rover - this is even better and that's not topping it at all.

And by no means are you interfering, I am happy you are providing good info!

Macro

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive the crappy iPhone shot, but this was the truck after first applying the Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating.

Not too shabby, especially for a grey color.

Macro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarPro Reload as a topper for Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating?-lr4_blacklabelpaintcoatingreflection_002-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    I reckon the same could probably be said about those who top some sort of Sealant with a Nuba Wax. That certain qualities of the Sealant are now lost, or diminished.

The hard sterile shine is now warmed up (which some like), many Nubas are said to attract more dusts, and there's then the wonderment if a Nuba with their solvents that came behind after the Sealant, and then possibly compromised the Sealant in some respects (like possibly actually removing them?)

Thus, as some would maybe say, a waste of going through the trouble, and a possible waste of money of applying a Sealant in the first place?

I would "think", that a Coating would have a better ability to stay adhered to the paint (provided application was properly done), that almost anything that would come behind as a topper would at least not compromise its longevity as one quality of these products?

It seems the OP is then seeking a topping product to lessen the loss of other qualities that these Coatings possess. Which I think we all are interested to some point.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    It seems the OP is then seeking a topping product to lessen the loss of
    other qualities that these Coatings possess. Which I think we all are interested to some point.
    Mark
    As I mentioned before:
    Some Coatings' attributes do not showcase the same attributes/qualities as other classes of LSP's:
    "slickness/continued slickness" over its expected service life, as one possible example.

Who'd ever want any Coatings on their vehicles whose qualities/attributes were said as being compromised...being lessened...
    by the use of something as seemingly benign like its supposedly synergistically formulated car-wash shampoo.
    What chances, then, do these kinds of Coating stand against the other, and more injurious chemicals it will be facing?

IMHO:
    "Topping" a Coating should never be a requirement, in order to keep it: Being a Coating.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast