autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Label surface coating, what's going on here?

Your Challenger looks great! I hope it cured properly and lasts. I'm another enthusiast if you need to talk to someone local. I'm in North Dallas.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO def. the temps are the issue. I wanted to coat my vehicles before the winter but had to many details to do and couldn't get to my own vehicles, so they got DG 501/601 for the winter. I am waiting till the spring to apply the coatings.

Orange tuff shine applicator sponges are also a good choice for applying coatings as they do not absorb too much product and spread evenly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Wiped off after sitting overnight? I dunno' 'bout 'dat.
    Temps I would bet played HUGE into that. I've not done but 3 different paint systems with it, all while it was upper 60's to 70's during the day, nothing lower than mid 50's at night. It noticeably flashed during application.

You said you applied it with the finger pockets, yes? It is my understanding those are for applying the wheel coating, whereas AG would have you use the yellow foam applicator for either the "paint" or "surface" coating. FWIW I think the yellow applicator might indeed have you using twice as much product as you need due to it absorbing so much. I can say however that it is a great deal softer, and MUCH flatter than you'd ever get the finger pockets.

I have tried the foam applicator but I still prefer the CarPro suede cloth like I'd use with Cquartz. Plus the cloth seems to save a TON of product, and goes a long way towards a smoother applicaton. Also, where you can buy 10 4"x4" pieces for $12.99 I buy the 10 16"x16" cloths for $19.99, then cut them with "pinking shears" (zig-zag sissors) and can make ONE HUNDRED SIXTY 4"x4" applicators. I mean 12.5˘ each versus $1.29 each is a no brainer.

I can say that with either of the two above ways to apply I've seen it flash pretty much the same. The foam has a noticeable sqqqqqqqqeeeeeekkkkk going across the paint as well. Where the suede cloth is quite and smooth.

Just thought I'd toss that out there.
    I am fully aware that some may not believe me, but it was indeed a full 16 hours after application before I could wheel it out of the garage and see in the sunlight what my eyes couldn't detect in the garage light.

I used the finger pockets as that was a method Mike had used to apply it on another vehicle. It seemed the best way to get at all the thin places like around the hood induction scoops and front bumper trim. Application seemed to be going well, so I never changed my procedure. I too noticed it flashing almost immediately after the finger pocket moved over it.

The smudges I was wiping out the next day were translucent in nature, faint, but very visible on the black paint. A lot like the smudges a streaky QD would leave behind.

I don't have an explanation as to why they would wipe off the next day. I appreciate your insight into the carport suede cloth usage. Should this fail, I might just go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post
    Your Challenger looks great! I hope it cured properly and lasts. I'm another enthusiast if you need to talk to someone local. I'm in North Dallas.
    Thanks! I might just take you up on that offer some day, if for no other reason than to "shoot the poop" about stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    I am fully aware that some may not believe me, but it was indeed a full 16 hours after application before I could wheel it out of the garage and see in the sunlight what my eyes couldn't detect in the garage light.

I used the finger pockets as that was a method Mike had used to apply it on another vehicle. It seemed the best way to get at all the thin places like around the hood induction scoops and front bumper trim. Application seemed to be going well, so I never changed my procedure. I too noticed it flashing almost immediately after the finger pocket moved over it.

The smudges I was wiping out the next day were translucent in nature, faint, but very visible on the black paint. A lot like the smudges a streaky QD would leave behind.

I don't have an explanation as to why they would wipe off the next day. I appreciate your insight into the carport suede cloth usage. Should this fail, I might just go that route.

Thanks! I might just take you up on that offer some day, if for no other reason than to "shoot the poop" about stuff.
    I believe you because it also happened to me. My thoughts at the time were that it may have been collected moisture on poorly coated area, but after using the MF towel to wipe the area gently I noticed it required a little bit of down pressure to "remove"..... so not moisture. It has to be excess product which did not flash with the rest. I do have impecable (aka neurotic) application technique and prefer applying with the CarPro suede MF cloth wrapped around a tire applicator so technique may not be a huge factor but the removal may be.

The coating starts the bounding process on application and is recommended to be removed shortly thereafter. If you work a large area you are very likely to miss removing the excess on small patches. The product become water resilient over a 12 hour cure period but was told that full cure takes closer to 30 days (so the fingernail experiment described in a previous comment does not surprise me).

In all I may have had 2 to 3 of those "excess coating" spots to clean up (14 hrs after coating) but they were removed rather easily and the results were flawless.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post
    IMO def. the temps are the issue. I wanted to coat my vehicles before the winter but had to many details to do and couldn't get to my own vehicles, so they got DG 501/601 for the winter. I am waiting till the spring to apply the coatings.

Orange tuff shine applicator sponges are also a good choice for applying coatings as they do not absorb too much product and spread evenly.
    I have a few of those sponges brand new and unused laying around. Also bought the Lake Country foam applicators as seen on the AG sales site. If the coating does indeed fail, I'll wait for consistent 60 degree temps and go back over best application practices to put it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    I believe you because it also happened to me. My thoughts at the time were that it may have been collected moisture on poorly coated area, but after using the MF towel to wipe the area gently I noticed it required a little bit of down pressure to "remove"..... so not moisture. It has to be excess product which did not flash with the rest. I do have impecable (aka neurotic) application technique and prefer applying with the CarPro suede MF cloth wrapped around a tire applicator so technique may not be a huge factor but the removal may be.

The coating starts the bounding process on application and is recommended to be removed shortly thereafter. If you work a large area you are very likely to miss removing the excess on small patches. The product become water resilient over a 12 hour cure period but was told that full cure takes closer to 30 days (so the fingernail experiment described in a previous comment does not surprise me).

In all I may have had 2 to 3 of those "excess coating" spots to clean up (14 hrs after coating) but they were removed rather easily and the results were flawless.
    This is encouraging news to hear. As there aren't any hard-and-fast directions on the AG sales site or the bottle of surface coating itself, were you given any direction on how long to wait before washing the vehicle? I'm thinking I should double that amount of time based on the current temps to be safe. On the other hand, I wonder how much dirt should be allowed to remain on the surfaces while the coating is curing out fully.

I kept it away from moisture as long as I could, but being my DD, it's got to go out side sometime. There was light misting rain yesterday and through today with stronger showers expected tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    I have a few of those sponges brand new and unused laying around. Also bought the Lake Country foam applicators as seen on the AG sales site. If the coating does indeed fail, I'll wait for consistent 60 degree temps and go back over best application practices to put it back on.

This is encouraging news to hear. As there aren't any hard-and-fast directions on the AG sales site or the bottle of surface coating itself, were you given any direction on how long to wait before washing the vehicle? I'm thinking I should double that amount of time based on the current temps to be safe. On the other hand, I wonder how much dirt should be allowed to remain on the surfaces while the coating is curing out fully.

I kept it away from moisture as long as I could, but being my DD, it's got to go out side sometime. There was light misting rain yesterday and through today with stronger showers expected tomorrow.
    I did have a conversation with Nick and found that most of what he was sharing was common coating recommendations. He may have some different recommendations now that the product has been around and tested by more "end users" but what was shared is: you can recoat within 24hrs (recommended to assure 100% coverage), no exposure to water/rain for the 12 hr cure time, no wash for 1 week (and need to be gently washed at that point because the product is not 100% hardened) and maximum cure around 30 days (under normal curing conditions). Obviously cure time will be affected environmental conditions (ie. humidity, temperature etc.. )

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

I did have a conversation with Nick and found that most of what he was sharing was common coating recommendations. He may have some different recommendations now that the product has been around and tested by more "end users" but what was shared is: you can recoat within 24hrs (recommended to assure 100% coverage), no exposure to water/rain for the 12 hr cure time, no wash for 1 week (and need to be gently washed at that point because the product is not 100% hardened) and maximum cure around 30 days (under normal curing conditions). Obviously cure time will be affected environmental conditions (ie. humidity, temperature etc.. )
    Interesting, looks like I'll be redoing mine in the spring. I added PBL sealant over paint coating after it cured for 12 hours then put BF BlackICE a week later. Thanks for the info Claude!

Post Thanks / Like

It'd be nice if this above information was included in the products' descriptions/instructions.
    It may have been a god-send to at least one AGO-forum member.

TO WIT (From this thread): CarPro Reload as a topper for Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating?

And from the OP (in part...w/my highlighting):
    Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Hey guys,

After 3 weeks and two washes with Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Shampoo

I have noticed the paint surface is starting to lose the slickness and some of the hydrophobic properties it had
    after the initial application of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Macro

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

That is good info indeed. Hard as it may be on my OCD, I'll have to refrain from washing it this weekend.

I'd really like to see what happens over the long haul. The finish looked fantastic after I got the excess removed. My goal is to truly try to go with this as my LSP for as long as I can hold the detailing bug at bay.

So figure about February and I'll be topping it, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

When the vehicle cooled it began to condensate....normal. Likely the sealer lifted a bit prior to setting up. Nothing a damp cloth and the flat of your hand would not resolve. Sealers are much different than waxes. I learned that in VERY short order. The advantages I see are that they are mostly bullet-proof. That said, they don't have the depth of lets say carnubas of the best brands. I find many individuals wax for comfort and that wow appeal. Get used to the product and don't let it set-up blotchy if you will. That would mean apply outdoors where you can see. Just some suggestions!!! Remember sealer for durability and carnuba for real WOW. Both have their place. I use both on all six of my cars in the event of invading birds, like Alfred Hitchcock you know. Be well!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast