autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Can you layer Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post

If you apply the product properly, there will be no need for a 2nd coat.

Adding an additional layer is not going to increase longevity.

But it does seem to really amp up the gloss!

Might not add to longevity but from experience, it does restore that super glassy appearance...
    (The Surface Coating, that's what I'm using on Stacy's MB)

Last Saturday after detailing a brand new MB E350 I washed Stacy's car and then, well here's what I wrote on this page, note the red text...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ictures-5.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

***Update***

Frequent car care is easy car care... and fast too...

It's been 50 days since we did a show car makeover on this Mercedes-Benz. It's been raining a lot here in South Florida so this last weekend I washed her using the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Shampoo and a Montanna's Boar's Hair Brush, then dusted each panel with a mist or two of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, spread with a clean microfiber towel and then buffed to a dry shine.

How's this for the glassy look?

Then a quick vacuum and she looks as good as the day we did the full-blown makeover.

So while it might not help longevity it certainly doesn't appear to hurt the looks...

I like keeping this silver car looking slick and shimmering...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    ...Stacy's MB
    ...Stacy's car

I like keeping this silver car looking slick and shimmering...

^^^^^^
    It is, indeed: A very beautifully styled vehicle.

Slick & Shimmering: You couldn't have described it with better precision!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question about 2nd coat.

Lets say after a year, or 18 months, the first coat is just about to fail, or maybe even starting to fail in a few areas.

If the car is prepped again with the surface cleaner, and then recoated with the surface coating, will that replenish the entire coating?

Or would it be better to polish to remove everything and start from scratch?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post

Lets say after a year, or 18 months, the first coat is just about to fail, or maybe even starting to fail in a few areas.

If the car is prepped again with the surface cleaner, and then recoated with the surface coating, will that replenish the entire coating?

The bonding of the product to its substrate is what is at the heart of longevity, so it would NOT make any sense to apply a second coat on a failing (or failed) product. You cannot replenish the properties or reinforce the product, so applying good product on top of bad is not advisable. It is best to polish and apply fresh

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Mike Phillips

If the car is prepped again with the surface cleaner, and then re-coated with the surface coating, will that replenish the entire coating?
    Yes. At least that makes sense.

That's a good question. A long time ago I found nothing looks better than a freshly waxed paint job. Probably goes without saying for synthetic paint sealants and paint coatings too.

Polishing acts to remove even fine surface defects that they eye cannot detect. Then after polishing and sealing, the finish just gleams...

A great example is this brand new Mercedes Benz I buffed out last weekend, the paint looked GREAT before we even started. I told the owner, the hardest thing to do is to take a finish already in great shape and make it look better.

But... you can do it and by just following the basics.

Any car that is a daily driver is going to look better with some attention versus no attention 18 months down the road.

Use you own judgment but one thing for sure, the majority of people that hang out on detailing forums like this one tend to "do something" to their car's paint long before the stated longevity for any LSP expires.

As for me? I like doing something often to my personal rigs because of my job but also because it's my thing...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post

The bonding of the product to its substrate is what is at the heart of longevity, so it would NOT make any sense to apply a second coat on a failing (or failed) product. You cannot replenish the properties or reinforce the product, so applying good product on top of bad is not advisable. It is best to polish and apply fresh

That makes good sense too...

Guess it depends on how much work you want to do...

Post Thanks / Like
    I certainly agree with Mike and because today's sealants are so easy to use, doing something to your paint every 3-6 monthes is a good idea. For those of us in the midwest we really can't do too much to the car, unless you've got a heated garage, as far as applying a product due to temps not being 60. I've found that doing rinsless washes so far shows the paint coating I'm using is doing its job, even with the car full of dirt/salt right now you can still see the shine under there, paint coatings are great for severe winter duty especially, ofcoarse looks great when the weather breaks as well!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for helping answer my question!

I was coating my wheels last night with the Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating and couldn't help but notice on the instructions on the back of the bottle that you should apply a second coat of it 24 hours later after its cured to make sure you have everything covered.

Made me realize that at least for the wheel coating its "layerable" in some fashion - at least to fill missing areas, and then gets buffed off currently covered areas....

Mike, great tip about using the coating as a light spray wax after a wash - I was thinking the same thing but didnt want to jump right in and screw up the surface. Im very experienced with wax, sealants etc its just these new paint coatings that are a whole new world for me!

If I could request one more thing from the gods at autogeek it would be for a black label diamond quick detail spray (like carPro Reload) for weekly paint freshning up for those guys like myself who have gottten used to the QD/Spray Wax wipe down after every wash

Another question I have is about the buffing off process of the high spots of the paint coating. Following the instructions it says immediatly lightly buff off any residue, which I did - however I couldnt help but think it was taking off the coating a bit as well. Reading this thread it sounds like people wait a couple mins before going back over it with a microfiber. Does it really matter?

The cured paint is now very slick, so I know its got some paint coating on it, just wanted to make sure i had not buffed it off too soon.

Thanks again for all the great info everyone, I knew that I would get some great info from you guys! Might be worth creating a sticky with all the common questions and answers as a quick start guide for the new Pinnacle Black Label Diamond coatings.

Macro

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,

After 3 weeks and two washes with Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Shampoo I have noticed the paint surface is starting to lose the slickness and some of the hydrophobic properties it had after the initial application of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating.

I'm wondering, I know Mike had used one or two sprays of the paint coating per panel as a post wash QD spray and wiped it with a microfiber to regain some gloss, and thats a possibility for me, although I must admit not a very cost effective way of boosting the coating. I have been looking at carPro Reload and was wondering if that can be safely applied on top of the pinnacle to help boost shine and slickness?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Macro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Hey guys,

After 3 weeks and two washes with Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Shampoo I have noticed the paint surface is starting to lose the slickness and some of the hydrophobic properties it had after the initial application of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating.

I'm wondering, I know Mike had used one or two sprays of the paint coating per panel as a post wash QD spray and wiped it with a microfiber to regain some gloss, and thats a possibility for me, although I must admit not a very cost effective way of boosting the coating. I have been looking at carPro Reload and was wondering if that can be safely applied on top of the pinnacle to help boost shine and slickness?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Macro
    There has to be some other explanation, you shouldn't have to re-apply even a mist of the surface coating. How confident are you in your original application process?

The slickness of the product will subside eventually as the coating starts to accumulate grime from the elements and such, but it certainly should not be losing its hydrophobic properties, I speculate.

If in fact the PBL coating is failing after only a few months time after making claims of 3 years and charging $80+ for a bottle of the paint coating, then something doesn't add up.

I understand there is some user-error to this product and any coating for that matter, but I've heard on several separate occasions that people are experiencing less water-repellency and slickness as if the coating were already failing.

It would be nice to know if there is indeed a flaw in the product, OR if every instance of apparently "coating failure" is actually user error.

I've had the PBL coating applied for about a month now, and only prep'd the surface with CarPro Eraser. Seems to be doing well contrary to dogma around here. However, who knows what it'll look like a few months from now (and if it fails I'll know it was my own fault, so I'm okay with that).

However, if the people who did follow proper application technique using the PBL prep cleanser, there should be no reason for the coating to be failing prematurely.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast