autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

PBL paint coating question

Can the diamond paint coating be applied over top other polishes? I'm planning to use some blackfire products, use the PBL cleansing lotion followed with the paint coating.

Any reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PBL paint coating question

you'll be fine...but you're not applying it over any polishes, you'll remove the polish residue, then apply the paint cleanser, than coating...but yeah any polishes will work so long as you you the cleansing lotion to remove them after your wipe down
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using polish in the generic sense? not meaning to mock or offend, it's just hard to tell sometimes. Do not try to apply it over waxes, sealants, gloss enhancers, AIOs, etc.

Just to clarify, the paint coating should be applied to a bare paint surface. The BL prep polish is designed to do just that, but others have mentioned that the DP prep polish works as well as an IPA wipedown, Carpro eraser, etc.

Bottom line: apply it to clean, bare paint only. How you get there is up to you.

Post Thanks / Like

You need the cleanest paint you can produce and to put a glaze, sealant, wax or anything else will prevent proper adherence of the coating.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

How bout layering polish and wax over top the coating? Would that be ok?

Reason I ask is I have a lot of blackfire products and I love the results I get. I don't want to throw all that money away. I'd like to have a nice long term layer of protection as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Docpeanut View Post
    How bout layering polish and wax over top the coating? Would that be ok?

Reason I ask is I have a lot of blackfire products and I love the results I get. I don't want to throw all that money away. I'd like to have a nice long term layer of protection as well
    You want to do all your polishing before protecting with the coating. Yes, you can add wax to it after the coating cures. Some feel its pointless, others feel it adds more gloss and depth. Personal preference.

If you like applying products every week or however often you like, then maybe you'd be more happy going with a sealant. Coatings are meant to be the final step and to protect the paint for a long, long time, without needing additional products, other than maintenance washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello.

You haven't wasted any money, feel assured.

First: You can do entire correction and polish your paint to a high gloss using your products. After your last polishing step, I would (please, read: I):

- If using a conventional wax or paint sealant, use it right away.

- If using PBL Coating:
    a) Wash the car gently to avoid instilling swirls (you've already removed), with a shampoo like CG Citrus Wash (or other you prefer), even to remove compound dust or polish residue from prior steps.
    b) Dry gently (to avoid swirls and scratches).
    c) Polish the entire car with PBL Cleansing polish.
    d) Apply PBL surface coating.

Someone would skip the 3 steps I've cited. No wash, no PBL Cleansing, just an IPA wipe down and coat. Nothing against it, it's just not my practice. Coating application is the most expensive service I offer, the client really get's what he paid for (and it's listed, Wash and Cleansing Polish before).

In my opinion, if you're going to apply a 3 years durable coating, you would give your best to do the most professional prep. possible.

Again, after coating, (need to wait some minimum time I can't say exactly), but I do wait 1 - 2 weeks (client returns for a free maintenance wash (1 per client), then apply some carnauba wax to give the final touch.

That's it, you can use all you have to prep. the paint before coating, and keep waxing with carnauba whenever you want to.

I don't know but also am curious about applying synthetic waxes over BL coating. Can I layer Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax over it? A paint sealant? Or just Carnauba Waxes. With or without cleaners?

I know it may not even be necessary (for the coats I've applied, shine and slickness to the maximum), but it's always refreshing the look and feel of a just waxed car... Maybe after 6 or more months after coating that refresh would be even more noticeable.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton