autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleansing Lotion or Advanced Finishing Polish: Which is best for my situation?

I've been "on"AG for several years benefiting from all the great experience, but have only recently started posting questions, like this one.

I have a new Audi (2 months old) DD (90 miles highway a day) that got a coat of WDG (original) within it's first two weeks of ownership (not sure if that matters, but in case it's relevant, I mentioned it.) I gave it its weekly washing and was planning on trying out a sample of BFWD, and found the CC has picked up surface contaminants. I've read all the advice about planning to polish if you're going to clay. My question is, since the car is new and the surface is scratch and swirl free, should I use Finishing Polish after clay, or would the Cleansing Lotion do it. I'm planning to use a brand new bar of clay (I have a Megs on hand.)

Thanks for your suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleansing Lotion or Advanced Finishing Polish: Which is best for my situation?

I'm not a fan of removing clear coat if its not necessary...unless you have defects that a cleaner will not handle.

If you polish, you will have to apply a cleaner afterwards anyway (IPA, eraser, or some post-polish, pre-sealant product) ...to remove any polishing oils left behind.

Polishing in your case seems unnecessary if your paint's surface is defect free. Most good cleaners should handle anything that doesn't require abrasive action.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleansing Lotion or Advanced Finishing Polish: Which is best for my situation?

I would say if it doesn't pass the "baggie" test, then clay first to get rid of said contaminants.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a chemical paint cleaner (lotion), Lusso Paint Revitalizer is the best I've ever used.
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I'm not a fan of removing clear coat if its not necessary...unless you have defects that a cleaner will not handle.

If you polish, you will have to apply a cleaner afterwards anyway (IPA, eraser, or some post-polish, pre-sealant product) ...to remove any polishing oils left behind.

Polishing in your case seems unnecessary if your paint's surface is defect free. Most good cleaners should handle anything that doesn't require abrasive action.
    So this is my dilemma. The car doesn't need to be polished (and the removal of CC that goes with it), but it does seem to need to be clayed. But claying will probably leave behind surface scratches in return for the imputities it removed. Are there any alternatives to claying that won't scratch, thus requiring me to polish after? Could a cleanser like Pinnacle take care of what I'm feeling on the surface (given that it is a new car) without needing to clay?

Maybe it's the Megs Gold Class car wash I'm using not getting the job done?

Post Thanks / Like

Fine grade clay should not mar your paint if used properly. Plenty of lube. You can also try nanoskin products. The third option is chemical decontamination. IronX, Trix and Wolf's Deironizer would fall under spray on and rinse off.
    Brand new Audi with hard CC. A fine grade clay will work well for you IMHO.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

You could try a product like Iron-X. I was having problem having OTC clay marring my finish, but I tried Sonus clay and it did not mar. I'm sure pinnacle clay would not mar, as well. Of course, if it's touching the surface, it could always cause surface scratches - thus why products like Iron-X, Iron Out, et. Al. Have become so popular.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into Iron-x