autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How-to Machine Apply Wax using a DA Polisher

How-to Machine Apply Wax using a DA Polisher

3M's but not 3M
    Mike the owner and Mike his buddy joined me, (Mike Phillips), here at Autogeek's Show Car Garage to put a Show Car Finish on a 1954 Corvette

This Corvette was restored as part of a car collection and painted approximately 20 years ago using a basecoat/clearcoat paint system. Although from 5 feet away it looked great, we felt the paint and could feel Above Surface Bonded Contaminants of some type all over the paint, even the sides using Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay.

These are the contaminant after claying just the passenger side door, a vertical panel that is often times skipped by most people. Although contaminants primarily build up on horizontal surfaces, you can still have Above Surface Bonded Contaminants on vertical panels. Because we wanted to maximize the gloss we clayed all the paint panels.

There were some very light swirls in the paint but Mike aka Merlin will be doing a complete swirl removal process on this car down the road so for today the goal is just to apply a coat of wax to protect the paint and create a show car finish.

In most cases, claying will remove a majority of anything off the top surface of the paint, so after claying you really need to apply a coat of wax or a paint sealant.

What we want to do with this project is show that with just two simple steps, claying and waxing with a true show car wax, you can bring out the full richness of color and maximize the glossy look everyone loves...

Applying Paste Wax By Machine
    Souveran Paste Wax can be applied by hand or machine, I personally prefer to apply all my waxes and paint sealants by machine plus the owner Mike has never used a DA Polisher before, only rotary buffers, so I wanted to introduce him to one of the most popular types of machine polishers in the industry.

Using a microfiber glove to hold the wax, you can pop the wax out of the jar and then simply swipe the wax a few times across the face of the foam finishing pad and you're ready to machine wax. Sometimes it helps to lightly heat the outside of the plastic jar with a Hair Blow Dryer as this will loosen the grip crated by surface tension the wax has with the jar.

Here's Mike the owner using a DA Polisher to machine wax his Corvette...

Next up I get Mike aka Merlin on our forum set-up to machine wax...

Then I put some wax on the face of my pad and we thoroughly waxed this Corvette in less than 10 to 15 minutes...

Notice the cord over the shoulder to prevent it from marring the finish...

Pinnacle Souveran Wax does not need to dry before removing, so after we machine applied the wax we then slipped on Microfiber Gloves and removed the wax using Cobra Indigo Microfiber Towels.

The microfiber gloves make it real easy to grip the microfiber towels plus you never leave any finger print smudges should your hand touch the paint in the process. For show car quality work, you can't go wrong taking the extra step to wear microfiber gloves.

Mike Phillips

Re: A Show Car Wax for a Show Car Finish at Show Car Garage

Continued...

As the wax comes off the gloss appears...

Beauty shots...

Here's a shot of the dash and cockpit...

Comfortable seating for two...

The 1954 Corvette had little fins leading back to the tail lights...

Chrome Headlight protectors protect the headlights and give classic Corvettes a unique style

The shape and design of the front grill is a work of art...

These are the original 1954 Corvette Hubcaps... do an eBay search and see what just a full set of these goes for now days...

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and Clay Lubricant safely remove above surface bonded contaminants and restores a clean smooth surface which creates gloss and provides a perfect surface for applying the Pinnacle Souverän Carnauba Wax.

All three types of DA Polishers work great as do any of the soft finishing pads available at We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

Pinnacle Souveran, a true show car wax also called a finishing wax...

Parting shots...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Here's a quick video I took using my iPhone 3GS before Mike and Mike left with Mike's 2-door Chevy...

1954 Corvette Just Waxed with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

Products Showcased

Pinnacle Natural Brilliance
    Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax
    Pinnacle Clay Lube
    Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

Microfiber Products
    Cobra Indigo Microfiber Towel
    Cobra Microfiber Gloves

Tools
    Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher
    Griot's Garage Dual Action Polisher
    Meguiar's G110v2 Dual Action Polisher

Pads
    6.5" CCS Blue Finessing Foam Pad
    6.5" CCS Red Ultrasoft Wax/Sealant Foam Pad
    5.5" Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Gray Flat Pad

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: A Show Car Wax for a Show Car Finish at Show Car Garage

Nice!!!! Thanks for the pics and vid!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's what I call a professional team with professional results!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Great pics and video!

btw whats the difference between application of wax by red/gray/blue pads?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
    Great pics and video!

btw whats the difference between application of wax by red/gray/blue pads?
    Just trying to show that all three can be used for this kind of procedure, they are all very soft and gentle to the paint.

Good question...

Post Thanks / Like

That car really goes well with Pinnacle Souveran, what a beauty!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek
    As the wax comes off the gloss appears...
    Thank you very much Mike P. or taking your time to explain the paint and finish that you found on the '54 Vette.

Your expertise explaining what you discovered about the paint, avoided what could have been a VERY co$tly mistake.
    Thanks again Mike P.! Thanks to you, I now know the correct four P's path (paint, pads, product, process) to take.
    This new knowledge will allow me the ability to produce a brilliant, swirl free, show car finish on this very sweet car.

Just a FYI...Mike S. (the '54 Vette owner) told me that he did clay bar this car last week!
    As Mike P. explained, this is a VERY important step to creating that deep, wet, glossy finish.
    When claying, take your time, and (cellophane test) check your work to make sure it's clean.

In the picture you can see how much was left behind on just one door panel.

BTW - We had a great time and the Pinnacle Souveran paste wax is just flat out awesome!

Mike Phillips

Thanks for bringing Mike and his 1954 Corvette to Autogeek's Show Car Garage Merlin, it was a lot of fun to work on...

Just to note for anyone reading this, originally Mike and Merlin were bring this car to our facilities because the owner thought it had a paint run in the door, after close examination, it appears to be a stress crack in the fiberglass under the paint.

I offered to remove the run and was going to document the process for a how to article, but after determining the run wasn't a run but a crack under the paint, I cautioned the owner against sanding on it because sanding wouldn't fix the problem and chances are very good sanding would have went through the high points of the "line" in the door and exposed primer which is probably white in color, this would have looked horrible and opened an expensive can of worms.

Merlin, can you call Mike and see if he wants to bring his 1959 Cadillac down for a paint polishing session this week?

I will look cool parked next to the other 1959 Cadillac arriving here today...

The Caddy King's Hidden Collection of 1959 Cadillacs!

This is Ted's daily driver, a silver 1959 Coupe de Ville...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast