autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

XMT 360 pad choice

So, I just took advanatage of the buy 3 get 3 deal on the XMT products...got a couple of bottles of XMT 360, for one stepping on cars that only require minimal defect removal, and dont need 100% swirl removal...I figure it would be great on the average daily driver car.

The question is, I have LCC orange (3) and grey pads (2), the 2 pads that came with my Griots Garage DA (orage and red), and 3m orange(2) and black(2) pads. I think i have a meguiars yellow laying around somewhere too, that I havent used yet.

I have been reading that the LCC green pads are ideal for the 360 application, and will probably pick some up next order, but for now, would the LCC grey pads be the better choice than orange? Or....suggestions?

oh, also, got teh MaxWax for free with my recent order as well, this would be a nice topper for the 360, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: XMT 360 pad choice

I like to use the lake Country Green Polishing / Finishing Pad with the XMT 360. The Orange Light Cutting pad will give you better cutting ability for removing Swirl Marks. Since you have a free jar of the DP Max Wax I would use the Gray Finishing Pad to apply the Max Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends how much cut you need. "Average daily driver car" makes me think of a car with light oxidation, contaminated paint, and a good bit of swirling. I'd probably use 360 with the orange LC pad in this case. The finish should still be good enough to go straight to wax, if not you can follow with the gray pad.

Max Wax should also be used with a (separate) gray pad and will make a very nice topper for 360.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    I read this already, i just wanted others opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    I like to use the lake Country Green Polishing / Finishing Pad with the XMT 360. The Orange Light Cutting pad will give you better cutting ability for removing Swirl Marks. Since you have a free jar of the DP Max Wax I would use the Gray Finishing Pad to apply the Max Wax.
    Got my 360 about an hour after the post I made, tried the 3m orange pads on teh wifes Grand caravan (just the hood). Didnt get rid of very many swirls, but it did look alot better than before.

I was supposed to do another car, but it was raining all day today (again), so I just pulled the van in the garage to test the product out.

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    Depends how much cut you need. "Average daily driver car" makes me think of a car with light oxidation, contaminated paint, and a good bit of swirling. I'd probably use 360 with the orange LC pad in this case. The finish should still be good enough to go straight to wax, if not you can follow with the gray pad.

Max Wax should also be used with a (separate) gray pad and will make a very nice topper for 360.
    By average daily driver, i ment a car that sees auto car washes 2-3 times a month, sits outside sometimes, hauls the kids around, couple of deep scratches here and there, some touch up paint, etc etc etc...A car that doesnt need 100% much less even 80% paint correction/swirl removal.

I use the van to test stuff with, the wife hates it, lol.

Seems like this 360 is a good product for the "express wax" kind of customers.

It smells freeking GREAT too....

Post Thanks / Like

What about the HydroTech pads for the 360? I was going to get some Greens (in a 6 pack with more orange), but I have been eyeing these hydrotechs.

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5.5 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads, hydrotech foam buffing pads, dual action foam pads

I am aware of some of the issues people are having, and will thoroughly dry them between uses.....

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love XMT 360! It can do a lot of things but swirl removal, I don't know. It is incredible on chrome too...if you haven't tried it on chrome, do so. I think I would use anything more aggressive than an orange pad. Use a little and work it. It dries up pretty fast so watch you don't dry polish it. I have used it with a black and gray pad but I think that's all. I use Menz power finish if I want a great one-stepper. Just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

i've never used 360 but I use the heck out of poli-seal. White lake country seems to be right pad. I've used grey but I get a lot more soak through on the backing plate. White doesn't absorb through as much and has the right cut and finishes down nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the level of correction I got out of XMT360 and an orange 5.5" Lake Country pad. I don't particularly like such a short working time but it gets the job done. Here is a before and after of the combination I mentioned:

Before:

After:

Post Thanks / Like

thats not bad results....go over it once or twice more and it will get the majority of those swirls out...

I test used an Orange pad on the wifes minivan hood, got about the same results on her dark green van.

Was wondering about those hydrotech pads with an all in one...