autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Grocery Cart Scratch Removal using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Porter Cable 7424XP

Grocery Cart Scratch Removal using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Porter Cable 7424XP

It's Saturday, September 26th, 2009, a nice sunny warm day and I thought I would come to work and test out the RaggTopp Convertible Fabric Top Protectant on my brand new Bikini Top on the Jimmy. The Bikini Top is made out of a waterproof material, (Sunbrella I think), but it's been raining here a lot so while it's brand new and clean, I want to lay down some extra waterproofing protection.

As I get started, Max drives up and shows me a couple long scratches in the rear, passenger side fender from a shopping cart. He wants to know if I have time to remove them and slap some wax back on the affect area and of course I do!

The scratches weren't deep throughout the entire length of the scratches but there were some areas, probably the point of impact where they did go deeper.

One thing I've been recommending for years on the forum is,

You can't always completely remove a scratch but you can often times improve a scratch to the point where you either can't see it, at least easily or or at least you can live with it versus have the area repainted.

Such was this incident. I figured I could completely remove all traces of the deepest portions of the scratch by sanding a little with some #2000 Nikken followed by a little #2500 Nikken and then simply remove my sanding marks but at the same time a lot of people can't and don't want to take a simple fix to these extremes so for now I just removed and improved the scratches to the point that you would have to know where they are and then be at the right angle to see them.

The below photo has not been resized but I did flip it 90 degrees so you wouldn't have to horizontal scroll.

This is the Porter Cable 7424XP with the bonus flat cutting pad that comes with the CCS Spot Buffs 4 Inch Foam Pad Kit while supplies last. I'm using the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover on Speed Setting 6 to work the scratches out. I followed this with the White CCS 4" Polishing pad with the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish again on the 6.0 Speed Setting and the applied some Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 to seal the paint afterwards. The white towel is on the tire to prevent splatter from getting all over the tire and wheel.

Products used
    Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover
    Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish
    Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    CCS Spot Buffs 4 Inch Foam Pad Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shopping Cart Scratch Removal using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover

Thanks for the post Mike. Looks like you can just barely see the divet of the scratch. Unless you're looking right at it, I bet most people wouldn't even notice!

Looks pretty similar to the small scratches I removed with the same Pinnacle combo on a Western Hauler Dodge pickup last week. (Planning on a show and shine, but I ran out of daylight, I'll get pics when I touch it up before a parade next week) The combo did such a good job on 1 scratch that the owner couldn't find where the scratch used to be until I pointed it out to her.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really liking the looks of Pinnacle products......Dang, another product line!!!!!!!

I just ordered some 5.5" LC pads (among other stuff ) and exhausted my funds for the 4" pad kit too!

Great job, unless you know exactly where to look, you can't even see the scratches! I found them once and now can't find them!

Nice to see your Jimmy home now too! Get that motor broke in yet?

have fun!

Aaron
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Evolve View Post

Thanks for the post Mike. Looks like you can just barely see the divot of the scratch. Unless you're looking right at it, I bet most people wouldn't even notice!
    And for a daily driver, this is the goal. Improve the scratch but don't try to completely remove the scratch to avoid buffing through the clearcoat.

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Nappers View Post

Great job, unless you know exactly where to look, you can't even see the scratches! I found them once and now can't find them!

Aaron