autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating - Chemical Resistance

Does anyone know if Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating can stand up to Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner? It seems to me the coating is starting to break down after 5 months and there is some brake/road dirt on the barrels that I can no longer remove with just wash soap and water. Will Sonax remove whatever is left of the coating? I was hoping for more longevity from this coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating - Chemical Resistance

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this also. I have been wondering how any brand of coating stands up against wheel cleaners.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could help, but even though I use PBL Wheel Coating, I only use normal wash soap or RW/WW to clean them and haven’t had issues of break dust sticking until way after the coating is deteriorating. I typically only need to use strong iron remover cleaners at the time I decide to re-coat or use something else (Like Hydro Blue in summer months).

I want to say that I get 7-8 fall/winter/early spring months before going with heavy cleaners and switching to Hydro Blue on top. Then completely strip and redo PBL in the fall.

I do recall Nick saying in a thread that the iron removing cleaners shouldn’t have significant impact on coatings... but I could see them chipping away over the course of 5+ months if used often, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Although there are better wheel coatings, it is decent. What kind of environment was the wheel exposed to? That will have an impact on durability. Most wheel coatings will not be impacted by a wheel cleaner but that depends on the ph and the ph range of the coating. In most cases soap and water is more than enough to clean the wheels.

It might be time to reapply.

5. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in NJ so the wheels see warm temps, cold temps, rain, and some salt in the winter months. Soap and water still get the wheels clean but water doesn't bead like it did before and like I said there is some brake dust that accumulates on the barrel of the front wheels. I wouldn't say the coating is completely gone but it does seem to be breaking down a bit more quickly than I thought it would.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the PBL coatings for a while now, and in my opinion, the wheel coating doesn't hold up as well as the paint coating. The best thing I've found to do is go over the wheels with PBL detailing spray every other wash or so. Even on brand new wheels, and using the dedicated polish before coating, I've been let down a bit in the durability department. As always, others' results may vary.

Post Thanks / Like

Soap and water is all you need to clean wheels that have been ceramic coated. The Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner will not remove the PBL Diamond Wheel Coating, but it may slowly degrade the coating over time. I would give the wheels a good cleaning, polish and reapply the PBL Diamond Wheel Coating.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating

9. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It could be worth to test out the Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus. It's more effective to desolve the imbedded brake dust. And it's ph neutral which actually most non acidic wheel cleaners are not. A dedicated paint iron remover would work great too. If the coating has standed up to the accumulated brake dust. The Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus is gentle to get it off. And if it's not standed up when you got the imbedded brake dust off. Then you have a first great step before reapplication of the wheel coating. So useing an iron removing wheel cleaner is a win win in your case IMO.

And I would not be affraid to something like the Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus as maintance and I do so my self. I have had the PA Supersport Wheel Coating which is not a full blown ceramic coating. And it holded up good with a touchless wheel cleaning with the Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus and a PW. If you have problems with the getting a lot of brake dust use a as close to a ph neutral wheel cleaner monthly or every 3-4 wash. If you use a car soap and mitts and brushes in between. As some iron particals you just don't get off with a regualar wash. Anyone can try after you have washed for a month or 2 with just car soap solution. And spray on a wheel cleaner with the bleeding reaction from it after a wash after this time. I would be very surprised if you don't get a bleeding reaction from it on your newly washed wheels. And the brake dust that you don't get off from a normal wash. It will be degrading the wheel coatings longevity faster. So the use of a as close to a ph neutral wheel cleaner I see just as a good maintance. And if your wheel coating don't holds up to a ph neutral wheel cleaner or an iron remover then sorry it's not such of a good wheel coating. Also I would take a good look at what kind of of wheel brushes you use to clean the wheels with. As if these is on the harder side of the wheel brushes out there then they will also degrade wheel coating longevity faster. Something like the Wheel Woolies that's gentle but still effective cleaning ability from them and or a gentle mf wash mitt or pad. Would give the wheel coating to last as long as possible.

Just remember that some bleeding wheel cleaners is very high alkaline ph level instead. And if it's up in the top of the ph14 level they will be very aggressive on the wheel coating. Otherwise if it's like any of the full blown wheel ceramic coatings they are very chemical resistant but the highest levels as ph13-14 and lowest ph 1-2. Then it's like a ceramic coating on the paint it's on how you touch your paint and how well it handles that.

/ Tony

11. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the pH of Full Effect wheel cleaner much different? I just got a 6 pack as part of a pre-Christmas order I placed and would hate to waste it. For me a 6 pack is like a 3 year supply.

For wheel cleaning I use a Meguiar's wheel brush, Speedmaster wheel brush, and microfiber wash mitt.

I'm thinking of coating my new M340i with Gtechniq CSL, I wonder if I'd have better luck doing the wheels of both cars with that, too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post
    I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this also. I have been wondering how any brand of coating stands up against wheel cleaners.
    I am now on my second set of coated wheels. My first were the summer wheels on my previous car coated with CQuartz "classic" paint coating. The current wheels are my winters wheels coated in CQuartz UK 3.0 paint coating.

The first set survived over two summers with regular washings with either Griot's wheel cleaner or Poorboy's World non-acid wheel cleaner. Towards the end of the third "warm" season the coating appeared to be failing and would need to replaced...but I sold the car. That would have been at least 18 months.

The second set, my current winter wheels, are about three months in and 2~3 washes with the Poorboy's World product. They are still going strong.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast