autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

PBL Coating Detailer vs. PBL SiO2 Detail Spray

Just a quick comparison here. I wanted to compare these two since I’ve wondered the difference for awhile. My X5 has ceramic wax recently applied and had accumulated a bit of dust from a short drive and otherwise just sitting around.

I applied PBL Diamond Coating Detailer to the drivers side of the car. It has the light mist spray head that the PBL 8 ounce sprays come with. Very little is used during spraying. It’s well lubricated despite the little amount (I’m only picking up light dust). It melts into the paint and leaves zero streaking. There’s no need for a final wipe with a clean towel for this product. I just used MF sides in 8ths and wiped it down. I can’t tell if it lays any protection down. My guess is no or very little given the ease of use. The finish looked great afterwards, as the LSP is new.

I applied PBL SiO2 Detail Spray on the passenger side. This also is very lubricated feeling, but a bit thicker. I used more for sure because I have it in a 16oz bottle with normal spray head (which is how it is sold if bought in 16oz). This didn’t streak bad but there was a slight haze and I did choose to do a final wipe with a clean MF. It didn’t melt in the paint so fast, a bit longer working time. My guess would be that this has substantially more protection left behind, but also more was applied on each squirt even though I tried to use very little.

Overall, both products feel like very high quality QDs as one would hope for the price. I actually enjoyed using the original Coating Detailer more during application. However, the Coating Detailer has a very outdated price tag of $80 for 32oz and $30 for 8oz. Maybe this could fly 5 years ago when it was new and not much else on the market, but with all the competition, PBMG could look at re-evaluating the price point. For perspective, Polish Angel’s QD (Presto) and WW (Sprayduster) both go for around $43 per 16oz.
    SiO2 Detail Spray is also expensive at $50 for 32oz and $35 for 16oz, but a better deal and it is likely leaving much better protection down.

For the price and protection, the newer SiO2 Detail Spray is my clear winner despite Coating Detailer’s very satisfying, user friendly application.

I can’t tell a difference between shine from either, the car looks exquisite, as it did a week or two ago when the latest ceramic wax was applied. Pics below:

PBL Coating Detailer vs. PBL SiO2 Detail Spray-img_1207-jpg
    PBL Coating Detailer vs. PBL SiO2 Detail Spray-img_1187-jpgPBL Coating Detailer vs. PBL SiO2 Detail Spray-img_1188-jpgPBL Coating Detailer vs. PBL SiO2 Detail Spray-img_1189-jpgPBL Coating Detailer vs. PBL SiO2 Detail Spray-img_1191-jpgPBL Coating Detailer vs. PBL SiO2 Detail Spray-img_1192-jpgPBL Coating Detailer vs. PBL SiO2 Detail Spray-img_1193-jpgPBL Coating Detailer vs. PBL SiO2 Detail Spray-img_1196-jpg

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PBL Coating Detailer vs. PBL SiO2 Detail Spray

I like the new Pinnacle Black Label SiO2 Detail Spray too. It offers much more protection and slickness IMO.

Pinnacle Black Label SiO2 Detail Spray