autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

The GLASSY look - Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - 2014 Maserati

The GLASSY look - Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - 2014 Maserati

Have you ever heard someone say,

It's all in the prep work

I have and it's true. A flawless custom paint job starts with doing the proper prep work to restore all the car's body panels to pristine condition before primer and paint.

Same thing goes for detail job. The end results are determined by the prep work.

EXCEPT, when it comes to the final LOOK of the car, I use the term GLASSY to describe the appearance results created by a properly applied ceramic paint coating.

With a traditional car wax or synthetic paint sealant, if you do the prep work right you can create an extreme GLOSSY looking appearance. Do the same prep work and apply a ceramic paint coating and the gloss level is a tick higher, enough that the word glossy doesn't do the results justice. Thus the word glassy.

Here's the glassy look....

Paint sealed with Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

I think the results speak for the product....

All work performed using products from Pinnacle Black Label. The tool I used is the NEW CBEAST by FLEX.

Pads: I tested 3 different pads, the pads I went with were the B&S Uro-Tech 6" Dark Blue Heavy Polishing Foam Pad

On Autogeek.com

FLEX 8-125 18.0 Polisher Kit - aka the CBEAST!

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Prep Spray 8 oz

Pinnacle Black Label Compound 8 oz

Pinnacle Black Label Polish 8 oz

B&S Uro-Tech 6" Dark Blue Heavy Polishing Foam Pads

GYEON Bald Wipe Microfiber Towel 16x16

12 Pack Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

2. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The GLASSY look - Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - 2014 Maserati

Love the color and the glassy look! Still haven’t tried my PBL coatings but will hopefully in autumn.

Mike Phillips

Re: The GLASSY look - Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - 2014 Maserati

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Love the color and the glassy look!
    That's what everyone says when they walked out to the garage,

Love the color!

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Still haven’t tried my PBL coatings but will hopefully in autumn.
    It's a great product. But just like with any wax, sealant or coating, the real driving force behind great results are great prep-work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    It's a great product. But just like with any wax, sealant or coating, the real driving force behind great results are great prep-work.

Yes, the prep work is the reason for my delay. I want to have days to do it right (as part of my yearly, thorough decon and correction), so waiting for that opportunity.

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

That finish looks incredible Mike! Well done good sir!

As mentioned, the end results are created from the prep work to get there.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for information about the PBL coatings and process. What is the difference between the surface and paint coatings? I have Meguiars Ultimate Polish and M205. As I understand it for a coating a pure polish is needed. Is the surface prep spray ok to remove the oils or do I need to switch polishes?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats great I love the glassy look. Especially on black paint. That's what I strive for. I didn't have luck with the black label coating. Mostly the prep polish is where it went wrong in my opinion. I would recommend to the poster asking that you use the prep spray instead.

If you can get a water based polish even better. The rupes millie ultra fine polish would be a great choice assuming the paint is in great condition or its used as a last step polish. The new mequiars 210 finishing polish I also really like. It uses oils and leaves them behind but it seems like much less then other oil based polishes like 3500 for example. It wipes off squeaky clean.

Either way I would use a prep spray with clean, uncontaminated towels. You can never be to careful at this stage when you've done all that polishing work.

10. Thanks RobThom thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love that color. Awesome!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobThom View Post
    Looking for information about the PBL coatings and process. What is the difference between the surface and paint coatings? I have Meguiars Ultimate Polish and M205. As I understand it for a coating a pure polish is needed. Is the surface prep spray ok to remove the oils or do I need to switch polishes?
    The prep spray is fine. I would recommend to go around the car twice to ensure the oils from M205 are removed. The prep polish is a wasted step in my opinion after using something like M205. The prep spray is faster and will do the job.

Use Diamond Surface Coating on all hard exterior surfaces, including paint, wheels, glass, and chrome! Diamond Surface Coating forms a hardened glass membrane that fills in the microscopic pits, pores, creating a perfectly smooth surface that dirt cannot adhere to.

Black Label Surface Coating replaces the need for 3 separate surface-specific coatings. Its unique formula was designed to bond to painted, metal, fiberglass, and silica-based surfaces.

The paint coating is intended for paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast