autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Jeweling Wax

Yes, it was stand alone and no clay, polish decon etc. You certainly couldn't tell by looking at it. As for the baggie test, it's my daily driver so I'm not that concerned about it being perfect.

This is what I use to apply all my PA and other spray waxes. It assures total covereage and minimizes product waste.

Microfiber Applicator Pads spread car care products evenly & neatly. Microfiber is nonabrasive and safe on clear coat finishes.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    Are we still talking about the Pinnacle Jeweling Wax? If so, it's selling for $45.99. Again, it does seem high but I looked around and the Mckees jeweling wax is $39.99 for a 16 oz. bottle (although it also comes in an 8 oz. bottle). Not sure what else to compare it with. Essence is also $40 for that size bottle but most others in that broad AIO category (Speed, D166, etc.) are much much cheaper.
    Well we should just be talking about PJW... but for the most part people got off topic because one post is attempting to compare the price of a finishing wax to a jeweling wax - which is not really an apples to apple comparison when you consider THE FACT that a Jeweling Wax is a more current name for a cleaner wax. In fact, now that I think about it... probably one of the key reasons for the marketing. One can make an argument that a JW could also be considered an AIO as well. So all one needs to do to see through my lenses, is to compare Pinnacle JW with competitive products like Klasse, Duragloss, McKees, Mothers, Meguiars, 3D, etc... and one can easily see how an extremely commoditized product category (cleaner waxes) is overpriced when you look at Pinnacle's attempt (McKee's too). If people buy it knowing what they are getting, then fine, but bear in mind these JW's are not extremely new technologies. I figure a 16oz bottle costs them maybe $3 to make.

I'm certainly open to reconsider my perspective by AGO and/or Pinnacle reps.

3. Likes Ronin47 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Well we should just be talking about PJW... but for the most part people got off topic because one post is attempting to compare the price of a finishing wax to a jeweling wax - which is not really an apples to apple comparison when you consider THE FACT that a Jeweling Wax is a more current name for a cleaner wax. In fact, now that I think about it... probably one of the key reasons for the marketing. One can make an argument that a JW could also be considered an AIO as well. So all one needs to do to see through my lenses, is to compare Pinnacle JW with competitive products like Klasse, Duragloss, McKees, Mothers, Meguiars, 3D, etc... and one can easily see how an extremely commoditized product category (cleaner waxes) is overpriced when you look at Pinnacle's attempt (McKee's too). If people buy it knowing what they are getting, then fine, but bear in mind these JW's are not extremely new technologies. I figure a 16oz bottle costs them maybe $3 to make.

I'm certainly open to reconsider my perspective by AGO and/or Pinnacle reps.
    That is false, The abrasives in a jeweling wax are extra fine and have less cut. You could say they all fall into the general catageory of "cleaner waxes" but they are not the same product. There's 3 types of cleaner waxes as far as I know.

Chemical cleaner waxes that use no abrasives to clean

AIO cleaner wax that has abrasive's and or uses chemicals to clean and cut.

Jeweling wax that has ultra fine abrasive's. Similar to a jeweling polish. Think 3800 or rupes ultrafine.

You seem to be asserting that every product is the same?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

Chemical cleaner waxes that use no abrasives to clean
    Which ones are those?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Which ones are those?
    The non-abrasive cleaner waxes I know of are...

Klasse AIO
    Duragloss 101
    Poorboy's polish w/ carnauba
    Essence Plus?

7. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle products have always been a higher priced premium product line. They arent for everyone. However, all the Pinnacle products Ive used have always been excellent. Some people would also say $95 for a paste wax is ridiculous. Those same people have probably never used Souveran. So what it doesnt last. The sheer pleasure of applying it and the shine is what its all about. A jeweling wax is a product for someone that wants to take their show car as far as they can when it comes to gloss. I personally dont really have a use for this particular product. I have a bottle of Mckees Jeweling Wax ive yet to use. But for those that do, I am sure this pinnacle product will compare extremely favorably to any other similar.

9. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

A few years ago there was a forum member that "tried" to argue this,

AIO = non-abrasive cleaner/waxes

Cleaner/waxes = products with abrasives

That's all a bunch of non-sense. The letters AIO stand for All In One and this also describes a cleaner/wax.

You can call Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax and AIO if you want to even though the words on the bottle say cleaner/wax. They are different terms for the same thing. I can't even count how may times I've "tried" to explain this. My best guess is people are too lazy to type out the words cleaner/wax so they type out AIO, heck some don't even use capital letters. aio

A cleaner/wax or aio is a product that,

1: Cleans the surface - it can do this chemically or with abrasives or both.

2: Polishes to a high gloss

3: Leaves behind some form of protection ingredient be it a "wax" or something "synthetic" or fill-in-the-blank

Hope this topic is now as clear as mud.

11. Likes VitreousHumor, mwoolfso liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Then there's this....

I, yes little old me, coined the term

Jeweling Wax

Then I wrote an article for the term and the topic. The best explanation I can think of is the sentence where you see the word lumped in bold red text.

Jeweling Wax - Definition

New industry term
    I'm not sure there are any laws or regulations in our industry that prevents anyone from coming up with a new term, if anyone else knows of any authority that regulates this type of thing feel free to share a link.

Thus I Mike Phillips on March 5th of 2016 hereby create a new term and a new category for products for using in the car detailing industry called,

Jeweling Wax

Definition: An ultra fine cutting polish and wax combination that when used with a soft foam finishing or jewelling foam pad will maximize paint gloss, shine, depth and clarity while leaving behind a layer of protection.

Questions and Answers

Question: What's the difference between a jeweling wax and an AIO or cleaner/wax?

Answer: A jeweling wax is a category of products that offers the same high quality finishing ability famous to high quality fine cut or ultra fine cut polishes except that because it also contains protection ingredients, unlike a dedicated polish the surface is left both polished and protected.

Cleaner/waxes are normally and historically products used to undo damage like swirls, water spots, oxidation out of the paint on cars that have been neglected. They don't however tend to create super high gloss results like a jeweling wax.

On the flipside, because a jewelling wax offers very limited correction ability it cannot compete with or be compared to most cleaner/waxes on the market (also called AIO's), which offer more correction ability but don't and won't finish out like a true jeweling wax.

I love cleaner/waxes and use them when appropriate and even have a number of articles encouraging detailers to use cleaner/waxes when doing production detail work. I would not however consider the majority of cleaner/waxes I've used in my life to be the type of product I would use like a jewelling wax as they don't finish out as well as a true jewelling wax.

A high quality jeweling wax is too good to be lumped into the cleaner/wax category already populated with hundreds of cleaner/wax options ranging from the extreme spectrum of mediocre to very good.

A jeweling wax can be used in place of your last machine polishing step to refine the results of the previous correction steps and/or correction and polishing steps to maximize the gloss, clarity, depth and shine while also leaving the finish protected, something a dedicated polish will not do.

There's MORE info in the actual article including a thorough explanation of the terms cleaner/wax and aio

Jeweling Wax - Definition

Not all cleaner/waxes are jeweling waxes. It's easy to figure out but you need a little experience and some black car paint.

13. Likes DBAILEY, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I have 3 cars detailing projects coming up next week, for these I'll be using the new Pinnacle Jeweling Wax.

2013 Mercedes-Benz S550

2017 Bentley Sport

2014 Maserati GT Sport

All black in color, so I think the results will speak for themselves.

15. Likes mbkite, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To me it actually makes more sense that a "cleaner wax" would be non-abrasive and an "AIO" which cleans, polishes, and protects WOULD contain abrasives.

That said, I think that making these terms interchangeable is a good thing and reduces confusion.

Based on your definition of Jeweling Wax, I would think HD Speed could also be characterized as a jeweling wax?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast