autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Elite Kit for the exterior?

New car, new paint which could only mean, new toys!

After getting a foam gun, which i cant wait to use i figure with the hype i try something that maybe can protect my car paint BETTER than a sealer/wax. With all your help and Mikes help my dupray has been an awesome arsenal to my process for my old car intererior. But now with me getting a new car i want to add more protection for exterior and interior (leather). Right now i have been using 3D HD Protect - Interior Surface Protectant for my leather.

Should i use a different protection or will this product not harm the leather?

On my old car and a few customers i had been using Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Sealant as my LSP. With coating i figure i maybe can charge more and get a longer protection on my ride, maybe even speeding up the maintenance process.

so my other question would be before i buy, is applying coating similar to sealers and waxes? anything i should be cautious about when applying a coating ? should i go another brand as a first timer ?

I guess you can say this post is to feel more confident about coatings. With the kit being $200, and me being a little skeptical because of using sealers and waxes for 20 plus years. i just want to make sure its worth the investment

thank you for your time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Elite Kit for the exterior?

Whichever coating you choose be sure to read the directions. Some coatings require a surface to be free of any protection for full adherence to the clear coat. Research is key.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by kaliagent2001 View Post

New car, new paint which could only mean, new toys!

After getting a foam gun, which i cant wait to use i figure with the hype i try something that maybe can protect my car paint BETTER than a sealer/wax.
    For those reading this into the future, be sure to read my article below. It is one of the MOST detailed articles with very detailed pictures I've ever written...

How to use a foam gun by Mike Phillips

With all your help and Mikes help my dupray has been an awesome arsenal to my process for my old car intererior.
    For those reading this into the future, be sure to read my article below. Also very detailed and with lots of high res pictures.

How To Use the Dupray Hill Injection Steam Cleaner

Steam Cleaning a Ferrari Interior with the Dupray Hill Injection Steam Cleaner

Interior Detailing - Steam Cleaning Carpet

And talk about bringing the dead back to life....

These pictures taken at one of my Detailing Boot Camp Classes do all the talking as to what you can do with a steam cleaner.

Here's what a Dupray Steam Cleaner can do!

At our September Detailing Boot Camp Class we had an all original 1967 Lincoln Continental in our class for a full interior and exterior detail.

Here's how the original white leather interior looked BEFORE my class took the Dupray Hill Injection Steam Cleaner to it...

If you look closely at the area below the pull handle you can see a small area that I cleaned to show how much room there is for improvement...

Not pretty...

Here's the after shot...

And the original single stage paint was resurrected using the Rupes paint polishing system.

Rupes Bigfoot Polishers Detailing Class & Extreme Paint Restoration

Mike Phillips

But now with me getting a new car i want to add more protection for exterior and interior (leather). Right now i have been using 3D HD Protect - Interior Surface Protectant for my leather.

Should i use a different protection or will this product not harm the leather?
    3D has a great chemist and puts out great products. I would trust any product from 3D.

On my old car and a few customers i had been using Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Sealant as my LSP.

With coating i figure i maybe can charge more and get a longer protection on my ride, maybe even speeding up the maintenance process.

Key words above are sealant and coating. Two very different products and the prep work for both is very different in that with a ceramic or quarts coating you must first chemically strip the paint in order for the coating to form a proper bond.

This extra step requires,

Time
    Labor
    Skill/Expertise

So "yes" you much charge for it and you must also determine if a coating is best suited for your customer and the car they drive and most important - how they are going to wash it after the work is completed.

Click the link below and read something I wrote over 6 years ago on this topic

3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings

so my other question would be before i buy, is applying coating similar to sealers and waxes?
    No - very different. See what I wrote above.

anything i should be cautious about when applying a coating ?
    Yes. Not marring the paint you just polished while chemically stripping it.

Should i go another brand as a first timer ?
    To me, the easiest paint coating to use that also leaves the surface customer pleasing slippery or slick, (I say this as some/most coatings make the paint feel rubbery and I've NEVER met anyone that likes their paint to feel rubbery), is the McKee's Paint Coating.

While it comes with its own polish for prepping the paint and it does seem to work, I prefer to use either the Wolfgang Perfekt Paint Prep or the BLACKFIRE Crystal Coating Paint Prep to chemically strip the paint before coating it. The Gyeon Prep is also good.

The key to wiping paint with a chemical stripping SOLVENT (and solvents don't tend to be GREAT lubricants - think about it), is to have GREAT microfiber towels and lots of them.

I have so many articles on this forum and a few good ones on these topics, hang tight while I cyber dig them up.

Mike Phillips

I have to move onto other projects. I could type on the forum all day but then I would never get anything else done....

Don't just scan these articles or you'll just waste your time. The information is presented but you have to read.

How many microfiber towels does it take to coat a car?

Here's how to use a surface cleansing lotion or lotion/polish style chemical stripper in the Pinnacle Black Label Line

How to detail a 2014 Corvette Stingray

Here's how to use a surface cleansing lotion or lotion/polish style chemical stripper in the McKee's line (bottles show DP but this changed to McKee's 37)

Cleaned & Coated in 3 Hours - 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Here's how to use the Wolfgang Perfect Paint Prep - LOTS of pictures and INFO including "The Buddy System" and the Insurance Wipe

Review & How-To: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating

And here's one for using the Gyeon Prep - LOTS of pictures and INFO

Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

If you read all of the above and look at the pictures you'll have the confidence to tackle anything with anything.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks so much. ill start my reading process before i make a decision. thanks again.