autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

PBL Coating Prep

Would it be okay to use CarPro Eraser instead of PBL Cleansing Polish; or does one literally have to use the Cleansing Polish? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PBL Coating Prep

IMHO... you would be fine to use Eraser as your final prep step before applying the PBL Coating - provided you have done something prior to that (i.e. polish) to remove any existing wax, sealant or coating. If not, then using the PBL cleansing polish would be advisable to ensure the best bonding of the coating to your paint.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Was hoping to get a new car this summer and was thinking of using PBL on it. Already have a bottle of Eraser and like the idea of spray on and wipe off.

Post Thanks / Like

​Al Schmidt

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the link. My main concern is I don't know if there is something "special" in the PBL Cleansing Lotion that the PBL Coating requires for it to bond (think chemical reaction). Or is the requirement just that the panel needs to be really clean prior to applying the coating? IMHO Eraser seems easier to apply (spray on wipe off) than the lotion (apply by hand with applicator or polisher then remove residual with microfiber). Was wondering if anyone had any experience with PBL Coating that didn't use the PBL Cleansing Lotion for prep. Thanks again for the link!

Post Thanks / Like

Hummm...This is just me.

The concept behind eraser and cleansing lotion is the same. To remove old wax/sealant/polish from paint.
    All you have left on the car is clean unprotected paint and you should be good to go.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sknight1 View Post
    Thank you for the link. My main concern is I don't know if there is something "special" in the PBL Cleansing Lotion that the PBL Coating requires for it to bond (think chemical reaction). Or is the requirement just that the panel needs to be really clean prior to applying the coating? IMHO Eraser seems easier to apply (spray on wipe off) than the lotion (apply by hand with applicator or polisher then remove residual with microfiber). Was wondering if anyone had any experience with PBL Coating that didn't use the PBL Cleansing Lotion for prep. Thanks again for the link!
    The key to auto detailing is don't overthink. A lot of stuff is similar. :-)
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Eraser is a great product - and does an excellent job of removing residual polishing oils, dust, fingerprints, smudges, etc. before applying a coating. I personally would not rely on it solely to remove a wax or sealant. It may do that, if we're talking about a wax or sealant that has been on the car for quite a while and has been substantially degraded from exposure to the elements, but in the case of a new car with some type of LSP put on it at the dealership prior to delivery I would be skeptical. Eraser would not be a substitute for a chemical paint cleaning product in my view...

I completely understand the desire for "easy" and using something that you may already have, but the key to maximizing your coating as TMQ points out is to apply it to clean paint. You don't necessarily need PBL cleansing lotion for a successful application of the PBL coating, but you do need to start with a clean surface for the coating to bond properly. You can get there several ways including polishing the paint (which surprisingly most new cars need, do to the way they are handled once they leave the factory), or via a chemical paint cleaner such as PBL cleansing lotion if the paint is in good shape. Alternatively, you could ask the dealership to skip the new car prep which would mean there is no "old" LSP to remove prior to coating. In that case Eraser would work just fine as your coating prep if the paint is in satisfactory condition (i.e. no swirls or scratches you can't live with)...

Just my two cents.
    ​Al Schmidt

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i stopped using pbl prep before pbl once i realized there are sprayable options

i use essence befoee pbl..no issues so far.

it satisfies my polishing and sio2 prep stage although i still do a wipe with optimum coating prep prior to pbl just for safe measure

pbl coating prep polish is good to use if you need to remove old waxes and not correct any marring

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your response. Yes, perhaps I am overthinking this. Why? Because if I do manage to purchase a new car this summer I do not want to make a mistake. My gut instinct tells me that if the paint is clean, I should have no issues. Unfortunately, a small part of me was having doubts that it “was required” to use PBL Cleansing Polish prior to using PBL Paint Coating. To be honest, I was looking for reassurance from others that PBL Coating could be applied without using the Cleansing Lotion.