autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

PBL Glass Coating

After having trouble with durability the first few times I tried the PBL glass coating, I decided to give it one last try. My process was pretty straight forward and followed the directions and advice I was given pretty well I thought. Here's how I did it.

1. Get a new windshield (Rock damage)
    2. Cleaned windshield with glass cleaner
    3. Next I cleaned the windshield with the PBL surface cleaner with my DA and polishing pad.
    4. I liberally applied the glass coating with a new applicator. Any excess was removed after a few minutes with a clean MF and little to no pressure.
    5. Cured in the garage for the weekend

And here's my results.
    This video is from 12-18. About 1-2 weeks after I applied the coating.

https://youtu.be/6fvDKkvuE4o

And this is the result at 3 months. It was taken on 3-1-17.

https://youtu.be/JPp9t2DAvdE

What should I have done to get better durability, or is this typical? I'm open to advice as I have too much money tied up in this for it to fail. Although my truck is kept outside, I think it's safe to expect more durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PBL Glass Coating

I've not used the pinnacle. But if you decide to go another direction- Aquapel is some stellar stuff. Longevity is head over heels above RainX. And it remains very consistent in beading/shedding behavior for many months. I've never had reason to try anything more expensive, as it's hard to imagine it getting better than Aquapel. The beading/shedding behavior is a little slower than RainX, but it works much better overall. Super smooth wiper operation and I never get that micro-droplet haze that I often got with RainX.

Amazingly, it's lasted me from last October until now and it's still going strong. We have wet roads all winter and lots of chemicals dumped on. I'm absolutely amazed how well Aquapel has held up. I prep with DG Nu-glass polish, then hit it with glass cleaner, then an IPA wipe down, followed by another hit with glass cleaner. Then I apply the Aquapel. Cross-hatched, then wipe dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    I've not used the pinnacle. But if you decide to go another direction- Aquapel is some stellar stuff. Longevity is head over heels above RainX. And it remains very consistent in beading/shedding behavior for many months. I've never had reason to try anything more expensive, as it's hard to imagine it getting better than Aquapel. The beading/shedding behavior is a little slower than RainX, but it works much better overall. Super smooth wiper operation and I never get that micro-droplet haze that I often got with RainX.

Amazingly, it's lasted me from last October until now and it's still going strong. We have wet roads all winter and lots of chemicals dumped on. I'm absolutely amazed how well Aquapel has held up. I prep with DG Nu-glass polish, then hit it with glass cleaner, then an IPA wipe down, followed by another hit with glass cleaner. Then I apply the Aquapel. Cross-hatched, then wipe dry.
    It's funny you mention aquapel. I actually really like that product, but thought I'd give PBL a try because the advertising made it seem rather economical with how many cars you can do from a bottle. It's proving to be neither economical nor durable.

That reminds me, I need to order some aquapel for my wife's baby hauler.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it might be windshield washer fluid or something. Try giving your windows an IPA wipe down and seeing what happens after.

Post Thanks / Like

Wiper abrasion will start to remove it eventually. Also built up road grime can mask the performance of it.

Wash it and give it a quick clay to see if it starts to behave like before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    I think it might be windshield washer fluid or something. Try giving your windows an IPA wipe down and seeing what happens after.
    Thank you. I'll give it a shot. Hopefully it'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Wiper abrasion will start to remove it eventually. Also built up road grime can mask the performance of it.

Wash it and give it a quick clay to see if it starts to behave like before.
    Hopefully a wash and claying brings it back.

I realize that abrasion will remove it over time. It seems 3 months is much shorter than the advertised 18. Since I drive a lot, I was hoping for at least 6 months.

Post Thanks / Like

In the 3 month video, it looked to me, that the main part of the windshield had some problems. The top portion seemed to still act pretty good. I put PBL Glass on last April, same weekend I used PBL wheel coating, I've been putting them to the long term test. For the last 2 months I have noticed a lack of performance in the wiper area, but above that area it still reacts well. Mostly I just washed the windows with whatever wash I was using, RW or 2BM. For touch ups I just used Megs D155, or when I felt a cleaning was needed used Megs D120.

When I applied mine I cleaned the glass, used Wolfgang Glass polish, cleaned the glass, did a wipe down, and applied the coating. Like Will, and Guz said, IPA and\or clay and let us know the outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, don't forget to clean the wiper blades. I get boxes of alcohol swabs at the pharmacy. They're cheap for a box of like 200 individually wrapped swabs. I use them for cleaning blades. Some suggest the alcohol will dry out the Rubber. Well, on a replaceable part like wiper blades, I just don't worry about it. Who knows, maybe it knocks a month off on the far end. Not a biggie (and I've never noticed a decrease in longevity). But the swabs work great for cleaning blades and you can toss a handful in the glove box in a ziplock bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Also, don't forget to clean the wiper blades. I get boxes of alcohol swabs at the pharmacy. They're cheap for a box of like 200 individually wrapped swabs. I use them for cleaning blades. Some suggest the alcohol will dry out the Rubber. Well, on a replaceable part like wiper blades, I just don't worry about it. Who knows, maybe it knocks a month off on the far end. Not a biggie (and I've never noticed a decrease in longevity). But the swabs work great for cleaning blades and you can toss a handful in the glove box in a ziplock bag.
    Thank you, I'll be certain to go that as well.