autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1987 Chevy 4x4 Monster Truck "Before & After" Pictures

Had a 1985 chev that was black and red. I lifted it as well and made a modified engine for it. Kind of miss that truck after reading this. Oh well owned two 1981 chev pickup's and kicking myself for selling them too

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post

I did`nt...............did you?Wait.......let me ask Juan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan TW View Post

That's going to be the most "Famous" tailgate ever!

For everyone reading this, the question about the "back" of the tailgate are because everyone kept asking,

Did anyone get the back of the tailgate?

And I don't think anyone ever answered? So then Paul jumped into action and we finally brought an answer to the question...

Paul aka Sailfish buffing out the back of the tailgate using the Flex 3401...

Quote Originally Posted by Juan TW View Post

As always, it was a pleasure and I feel special that I had the opportunity to participate on this one!forget the fender, I was proud of my windows ok not counting the little ones
    Thanks for helping out Juan and just to note, the windows are fabulous! Completely crystal clear and clean and smooth. Thanks for buffing off all the scum and overspray and even getting the inside...

Quote Originally Posted by Impressions View Post
    You truly deserve it Mike!
    As always it was my pleasure!
    Thanks for your help Robert!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorAutoLLC View Post

Mike, that thing is a BEAST! I love the truck but even more I love those wheels!

They're slowly growing on me... I've never been a fan of black wheels, it makes the entire wheel/tire just one big black bla...

I much prefer sold, uncoated aluminum wheels but for now these will be fine. The owner Will, told me he had these custom made with an off-set to keep most of the 40" Toyo's inside the fenders.

Robert cleaned and waxed them and they do look a lot better since getting some detailing attention...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cullen View Post

Had a 1985 chev that was black and red. I lifted it as well and made a modified engine for it. Kind of miss that truck after reading this. Oh well owned two 1981 chev pickup's and kicking myself for selling them too
    It was a lot of fun to driver before the extreme makeover but now it's even more fun. Everywhere I take her I have "car guys" come over and check it out and it usually includes a story about their favorite truck that they wish they would have never sold...

Next up are a set of Side Steps and then a custom roll bar...

Post Thanks / Like

What a magnificent group effort! Thanks to all that made this happen. I must admit the before pictures made me question how well this would come out but obviously my doubts were unfounded. I'd need a step and a grab handle just to get in that dude. Mike they (and yourself) put the pride back in your ride!
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet truck Mike!

Do you still have your other big red truck or did you sell it to get this one?
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

One sweet ride, hey Mike, I have stone I need hauled. Can you haul it for me?

Just kidding!
    That’s the way race people are. If they think anybody’s got money, we’re all hookers.”
    - Kyle Petty

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post

Sweet truck Mike!

Do you still have your other big red truck or did you sell it to get this one?

I blew the tranny out of my Jimmy and didn't feel like rebuilding another 700R4, (ugh...) Instead I had a Turbo 400 built up by Dana Sniff out in SoCal that will go in this current 1987 Silverado when I install the Big Block.

Here's the Dana Sniff Turbo 400 built to be bullet-proof and this will go into the Silverado sometime in the next year with a 454 in front of it and a Dodge NP205 Gear-Driven Transfercase, which I already own. Old school parts like these are simple in design and bullet-proof.

I kept the Big Block out of the Jimmy and will have it rebuilt and it and the Turbo 400 will go into my Silverado and I'll sell the small block 350 and 700R4 to someone else.

I sold what was left of the Jimmy, 3/4 ton running gear with 4:11 Posi-Track and 4-wheel disc brakes to my buddy Dave and he's either going to put it back on the road again or use the axles for another project.

One thing for sure, I love building my own "stuff" but I'm also too dang busy now days to carve out the time considering I take Sunday's off and work half my Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog shine View Post

One sweet ride, hey Mike, I have stone I need hauled. Can you haul it for me?

Just kidding!

Hauled plants, slate and stones all weekend as the better-half decided I was doing an extreme makeover on the front yard. Not too bad of a gig as I got a Scotch Bonnet plant already producing for my labor...

Mike Phillips

This is a project from 2013.

I no longer own this truck but the before and after pictures are amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

This is a project from 2013.

I no longer own this truck but the before and after pictures are amazing!

WHAT!? No longer own Big Red?

What happened? Was I MIA?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah....Kinda recalled that he sold it to get out of that yard work at home!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post

Yeah....Kinda recalled that he sold it to get out of that yard work at home!

Tom

Actually, I sold it for a number of reasons.

1: I don't normally like trucks this new. Prefer old school trucks before 1980.

2: Because it was newer it had Fuel Injection - this means there's a fuel pump inside the gas tank. I prefer the fuel pump to be bolted to the side of the block - this means a carburetor instead of fuel injection.

3: There was a crack in the frame. I removed the engine and cleaned the engine compartment. My friend Rob torched out the rivets that hold in the front crossmember. My friend Robbie welded up the crack. I installed the ORD Frame Braket and then re-installed the engine and related components and then sold it.

Loved the truck, it was a blast to drive and I got a lot of compliments on it. It was also featured on Car Fix the TV Show, look for an episode called Street Mudder.

The crack in the frame didn't bug me, we fixed it and fixed it right. It was the fuel pump in the gas tank and the fuel injection that I don't like or prefer. It's too complicated for the purpose. I'm a big believer in,

KISS or Keep it Simple Simon

This means HEI distributor and normal gas carburetor. My next toy will have this set-up.

You can see the write-up I posted on repairing the truck here,

Cracked in frame - 1987 Chevy Silverado

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast