autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover - Testing M101 Foam Cut Compound

1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover - Testing M101 Foam Cut Compound

Last night we put the new M101 Foam Cut Compound to the test using 6 different types of tools and pads to under years of damage to a 1999 Trans Am Anniversary Edition that sat outside, unprotected for over 4 years.

Exposed to South Florida's extreme range of temperature and weather conditions, the factory paint took a beating and was stained with embedded dirt, oxidized as well as filled with swirls, scratches and water spots.

The vinyl graphics were also dried-out, faded, cracked and very brittle making the car look beat and weathered.

M101 quickly removed years of damage no matter what tool or pad combination we used and no matter what the skill level of the user. We had full-time professional detailers, hobby detailers and even one gentleman brand new to the modern detailing scene on hand to help with the transformation.

Like it's little brother, M105, the new M101 not only removed the paint defects with ease, it also left the paint looking as though it were just professionally polished and even waxed.

I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Before

Close-up next to the hideaway headlight bucket -

Tip: Use a body line to help your camera lens to focus on the paint.

Be prepared to be blown away.... it's as though this car just rolled off the assembly line in 1999...

Mike Phillips

Re: M101 Foam Cut Compound - 1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover at Autogeek

Getting busy with Meguiar's 101 Foam Pad Compound!

On the left is Tim aka 57BORNTORUN using the Makita BO6040 with a Surbuf MicroFinger Pad and M101 - On the right is Paul aka Sailfish, graduate of my Detailing Boot Camp Class using a Flex 3401 with a Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pad with Meguiar's M101 Foam-Cut Compound.

Paul working M101 with the Flex 3401...

Tim working M101 with the Makita BO6040...

John working M101 with the Cyclo Polisher...

Jeff working M101 with the G110v2...

Jay the new owner of this Trans Am working M101 with the Flex 3401...

Jeff Bell, a full-time professional detailer always helps me with the more intricate or complex areas to buff, here he's working M101 with the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher using a Meguiar's 3" Microfiber Cutting Disc...

Me working M101 with a DeWALT 849X with a Meguiar's W7207 Foam Cutting Pad...

Jeff Bell polishing the glass T-tops...

Here's Jay working M101 using a Meguiar's 6" Microfiber Cutting Disc on a 3M Orbital Air Sander...

Jeff using the Meguiar's 3" Microfiber Cutting Disc with M101 Foam Cut Compound to remove the swirls from the round gas cover lid...

Mike Phillips

After

After taking all the above "after" pictures, we noticed we left off some lettering so Jay quickly applied the new blue vinyl letters over the Pontiac script...

That's better...

Finished...

M101 should be in everyone's arsenal of detailing compounds, polishes and waxes...

4. Likes blsnelling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work, I can't wait to try the m101 myself. Was THAT much cut necessary for this particular car though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome, great job. Did you guys replace the graphics?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    Very nice work, I can't wait to try the m101 myself. Was THAT much cut necessary for this particular car though?

You would have had to been here to see the condition of the paint in person and also felt it after it was washed and dried.

We used both Speedy Prep Surface towels and Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads to decontaminate it before we started machine compounding.

Seems from what I read on multiple forums the key factor everyone likes about this product is how fast it cuts and I think that's just the nature of the beast, everyone always looking for new next best thing in every product category, compounds, polishes, waxes, trim dressings, waterless washed, etc. etc. etc.

My goal was to share the fun by letting our forum members test out this new compound with multiple tools and take a completely beat finish and see just exactly what this product was capable of.

In person, this car not only looks brand new... it looks like a brand new car with a brand new paint job!

It was a challenge to remove all the old, dried-out and baked on vinyl graphics and even more of a challenge to re-install the new graphics. While the new graphics provide a sharp contrast against the paint the gains in contrast would be null if the paint wasn't as glossy as it looks.

Good question...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, thanks for that. BTW, what did you choose as a finishing polish after the 101, or are the results just 101 by itself? That would be extremely impressive.

Mike Phillips

For anyone that's never removed old, dried-out, cracked and baked-on vinyl graphics, I have enough pictures to make a pretty good how-to article. For now here's a few pictures to give you an idea. It took about 2 hours to remove all the vinyl graphics and then rub and scrub all the adhesive left behind off the paint AND do it in a way that did not harm the original paint.

Re-applying all of the new vinyl graphics took at around 3 hours...

We didn't just buff this car out, we first removed all the graphics, then buffing it out, polished it and sealed it with a synthetic paint sealant and then applied all of the new graphics... just another furn project on AutogeekOnline.net!

Here's one picture, hang tight for a few more...

Jay heating the vinyl graphics up using a simple Conair Hair Blow Dryer...

Here's Ken and I using a Heat Gun, when using a Heat Gun instead of a hair dryer you really need to be careful that you don't get the paint itself too hot...

New graphics going on... this was hours later after we meticulously buffed the hood to remove most of the Ghosting and all of the adhesive residue...

Here you can see that we removed the rear spoiler in order to apply the racing stripes to the deck lid...

After putting he racing stripes on the spoiler we're not re-attaching it...

One thing for sure, everyone has a lot of fun during these types of cool projects, makes new friends and gets the chance to use new tools, pads and yes... products like Meguiar's M101 Foam Cut Compound...

Carefull.... easy does it....

Jay installing all the lettering...

Windshield graphics going on....

Here's the wrecking crew, from left to right...

Paul, Ken, Jay, Tim and John...

Not pictures are Jeff Bell and my co-worker, Jeff Dexheimer who both needed to leave early or find themselves in the dog house with their better half...

My comments...
    This was a HUGE undertaking and I would recommend to most people to only tackle the removal of graphics and the restoration of the paint for one day and then after getting some rest tackle re-applying the new graphics.

I don't remember what Jay said the graphics kit cost but you don't want to make a mistake simply because you're tired...

You can't see from my pictures but Jay also had a new interior installed to really bring this classic back to life.

10. Likes blsnelling liked this post
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic work!

Just so everyone knows we'll be running a pre-order special on Meguiar's M101 Foam Cut Compound later today. We're expecting to have it in stock in a couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Any plans to post the video for this?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast