autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: M101 Foam Cut Compound - 1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover at Autogeek

A few questions: M101 is stronger that M105? What polish did you follow this M101 work with, Ultimate Polish or none at all?
    thanks,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmedvic View Post
    A few questions: M101 is stronger that M105? What polish did you follow this M101 work with, Ultimate Polish or none at all?
    thanks,
    Dave
    M101 is definitely stronger than M105 since it was specifically made for European hard paints. Since M101 is a compound, it is highly recommended that you follow up with M205 polish to get the full depth and gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

M101 AND a W7207...on a rotary to boot...Wow!!! That's some serious cutting power.

Mr. Phillips, what other foam pads fall in a similar category with the W7207 pad? LC Kompressor purple? Just wondering. I have to wonder what you'd have used if M101 wasn't available. W4000 wool and M105?

Even using M101 I'd have thought you'd have went with a wool pad just to keep the heat down. That Meguiar's maroon pad generates some serious heat if you're not careful (of course, you know what you're doing).

That car does look like it's brand new, for sure. That is the most gloss I've ever seen on white paint. You guys certainly knocked that detail out of the park.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    Nice, thanks for that. BTW, what did you choose as a finishing polish after the 101, or are the results just 101 by itself? That would be extremely impressive.
    Thank you for asking a great follow-up question...

The paint looked polished after using only the M101 but my testing with this compound on one of my black test panels, (the one you see in all this year's SEMA pictures of our booth), shows that like most aggressive compounds AND anytime you're using a "fiber" pad, (doesn't matter what kind of fiber pad), there's always going to be some residual haze or fine swirls, depending upon the tool and pad.

After compounding with Meguiar's M101 Foam-Pad Compound, we re-polished using Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish using DA Polishers and Lake Country Tangerine Hydro-Tech Polishing Pads.

After the polishing steps we machine applied Meguiar's M20 Polymer Sealant using DA Polishers and Lake Country 5.5" Blue Foam Finishing Pads.

Allowed the M20 to fully dry and then removed by hand. We gently wiped all surfaces to receive graphics with a 25% solution of IPA and water.

I have hundreds more pictures showing the polishing, sealing, wipe-off plus more on the removal of the graphics and application of the graphics but I think you all get the idea plus Nick and I have to go load-up for the car show this weekend so can't invest too much time in to processing pictures...

By the way, if you're local, Jay's Trans Am will be on display at this weekend's car show and I'll take some pictures of it on Sunday and add them to this thread...

King Neptune's "Rods in the Pocket Car Show" this Sunday!
    Join Nick and I as we help raise money for Santa's Helpers of Martin County this Sunday at King Neptune's Restaurant in Stuart, Florida. We'll be doing machine polishing demonstrations and raffling off six Griot's Garage DA Polishers.

Click here for more information!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike I might have missed it but would you contrast M101 to M105? I've used M105 with wool and foam pads with great success. M101 must be a lighter cut so I'm just trying to get a feel for it. I really like the Meguiar product line.

That TransAm looks fantastic sweet job restoring it.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've heard/read so far, M101 has more cut than M105, and finishes down about the same. Mike, correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice job! '=]
    I can't wait to put my hands on some m101.
    High End Polishing (facebook) (blog)

Mike Phillips

A few questions: M101 is stronger that M105?
    Yes. Technically it's more aggressive, that is offers faster cutting or abrading ability.

What polish did you follow this M101 work with, Ultimate Polish or none at all?
    thanks,
    Dave
    M205 with foam polishing pads followed by M20 Polymer Sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post

Hey Mike I might have missed it but would you contrast M101 to M105? I've used M105 with wool and foam pads with great success. M101 must be a lighter cut so I'm just trying to get a feel for it. I really like the Meguiar product line.

That Trans Am looks fantastic sweet job restoring it.
    M101 is a more aggressive compound, actually feels fairly gritty to the touch while M105 feels smooth and creamy.

I've only comparison tested M101 against M105 one time on black paint and in this one test, keeping all variables the same except for product, I was able to cut faster with M101 but finish down better with M105

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80;763067
    From what I've heard/read so far, M101 has more cut than M105, and finishes down about the same. Mike, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Well I do all my testing on black paint as black does a better job of enabling you're eyes to better see the true and accurate results. All my black test hoods are painted by the same street rod painter here in town and he uses a PPG paint, I would have to check to get the exact part number.

I've only comparison tested M101 against M105 one time on black paint and in this one test, keeping all variables the same except for product, I was able to cut faster with M101 but finish down better with M105.

Definitely cuts fast and seem to work fine will all the tools you see in this thread except the Makita BO6040 with the Surbuf pad and I think with a different pad the BO6040 would be easier to handle with this aggressive compound.

Post Thanks / Like

Is M101 a SMAT or DAT?

Post Thanks / Like

Smat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast