autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Best of Show Win! - 1970 1/2 Camaro

Best of Show Win! - 1970 1/2 Camaro

Last weekend my good friend and fellow geek, Tommy entered his 1970 1/2 Camaro into the 2012 Cars of Dreams car show in North Palm Beach, Florida at the John Staluppi Cars of Dreams Hospice Benefit Car & Truck Show and won Best of Show!

Tommy sent me the below pictures...

When I first met Tommy at was at the Gold Coast Corvette Club - First Annual Car Show where we talked shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    Talked to the owner of these sweet 1970 1/2 Split Front Bumper Camaro... we might see it here at our studio in the future...

I invited him to Autogeek to do a little polishing work on the finish on his Camaro. Here's that thread,

1970 1/2 Camaro - Show Car Finish by Pinnacle - Modeled by Amy

Before
    Okay... so when the Camaro arrived I took this picture and most people just by looking at the picture or even the car from a few feet away would die to have a custom paint job this nice....

But the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light reveals the true condition of the paint and that is a surface filled with,

• Swirls
    • Scratches
    • Pig Tails
    • RIDS
    • Tracers
    • Micro-marring also called DA Haze
    You can find a definition for all of the above in either my e-book or in this article here,

Tracers Tracers - RIDS - Pigtails - Cobweb Swirls - Rotary Buffer Swirls - Holograms - Water Spots - Bird Drooping Etchings - Micro-Marring

Check it out...

Pig Tails
    If you look closely you can see a scratch that looks like the letter e in cursive writing running horizontally across the paint, this is called a Pig Tail and it generally comes from an abrasive particle that gets trapped between the paint and a sanding disc when machine sanding. The entire finish had Pig Tails plus Tracers randomly dispersed...

Micro-marring also called Tick Marks or DA Haze
    The millions of tiny, small scratches highlighted by the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light are caused by improperly worked abrasives when using a DA Polisher like the Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's G110v2, Griot's Garage 6" ROP or Shurhold DA Polisher. These types of scratches are through out the entire car but you can really only see them on the black stripes not the metallic green paint. The point is that even though your eyes can't see them on the lighter colors they still cloud and dull the finish and keep you from seeing the beautiful color and/or metallic finish under the clear. These have to go!

RIDS - Random, Isolated Deeper Scratches
    These types of scratches come from normal wear and tear and don't have any pattern to them thus the use of the word random in the description.

More information on RIDS here...
    RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term...

Swirls and Scratches
    What I see here is a combination of RIDS, swirls, DA Haze and Arc Scratches probably caused by wiping but they are also caused by improper use of a rotary buffer.

And just for the record, the nickname for the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light is the Cruel Master because it's hard to please...

For my e-book I needed to create a list of categories that would describe the condition of a car's paint AFTER you first wash and dry the car.

That list can be found starting on page 30 of the e-book. After evaluating the condition of the paint on this Camaro I would place it into the category 3 Good Condition as it has way too many below surface defects to fall into category 1 Show Car Quality or category 2 Excellent Condition

After
    Classic Camaro with a glassy wet-looking finish created entirely by machine and finished off using Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax...

Congratulations Tommy!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love that car!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best of Show Win! - 1970 1/2 Camaro

Great job Tommy!

Post Thanks / Like

My 350z is covered in Souveran now, maybe it will bring me home the big trophy.

Mike Phillips

Tommy has been winning more awards than ever and shares some of his wins in the below thread where Steve has been winning more awards too after bringing his Camaro to Autogeek...

1st Place and Platinum Certified Show Winner at Eckler’s Winternationals Chevrolet Car Show in Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Way to Tommy! BTW, I have a disc of pictures for you. Might be able to scavenge a couple of pics from the other day.

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy, that's great! Congrats!
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Tommy!

That car is a beast!

Mike Phillips

Every time I see or talk to Tommy he tells me it's getting harder and harder to keep the car because he keeps getting more and more offers for it...

At the same time, he promised his daughter Nicole he would keep the car for her...

All I know is if you sell it Tommy.... you'll end up regretting it... I know I regret selling most of my toys including my Sanger Drag Boat and my Milk Truck and Big Blue...

Think long and hard my friend...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rencor View Post
    Way to Tommy! BTW, I have a disc of pictures for you. Might be able to scavenge a couple of pics from the other day.
    Thanks Renny ! hope to see you at Detail Fest ! i will be there on sat . then super Chevy on Sunday ! Entering the Green Monster in the show . wish me luck !
    Evil Mean and Nasty ! Just the way I like it !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast