autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

Hi Mike (and/or others that were a part of team),
    What were the temperature conditions when you started coating (temp/humidity) ?
    How much time did you let gyeon MOHS sit before removal?
    What was removal like (compared to other coatings like cquartz etc) ? I heard it continues to show some high spots on panels you've already cleared so requires to keep checking prior panels as well...
    Was one layer applied or two ?

Any other application usage details you can provide for MOHS would be great.

Great outcomes !

Mike Phillips

Re: Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

Quote Originally Posted by sealthedeal View Post

Hi Mike (and/or others that were a part of team), What were the temperature conditions when you started coating (temp/humidity) ?
    Off hand I don't remember the temperature and we don't have hygrometer in the garage.What I do remember was we had the garage door open when we started as it was cool and even cold outside last week.I'd say it was in the 60's or 70's - don't even want to guess what the humidity was?

How much time did you let gyeon MOHS sit before removal?
    About a minute. Jeff McEachran from Gyeon told me the wipe-off can start as soon as 20 to 30 seconds after application.

I spoke with him the day before the Corvette project.

What was removal like (compared to other coatings like cquartz etc) ? I heard it continues to show some high spots on panels you've already cleared so requires to keep checking prior panels as well... Was one layer applied or two ?

Wipe-off was easy. If you look at the pictures I posted, Jeff Bell was inspecting the paint with the SCANGRIP light for high spots and none were discovered.This is a very user-friendly coating.

Any other application usage details you can provide for MOHS would be great.Great outcomes !

Not much else I can add at this time. If you can, go to Mobile Tech Expo this Thursay and attend the GYEON class Jeff McEachran and I are teaching from 2:00pm to 2:45pm in the Dade/FLorida Keys room at the Double Tree Inn in Orlando.

Mobile Tech Expo 2017 - Classes this year

5: The benefits of coatings for your customers and your business
    Instructor - Jeff McEachran & Mike Phillips
    Room: Dade/Florida Keys
    Time: 2:00-2:45am

Jeff McEachran from Gyeon and Mike Phillips from Autogeek share with you the benefits coatings provide your customers plus how they can increase the profit for each job.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post

Looks great. What does a "high spot" look like after the coating is put on?

Would one describe it as butter on a half slice of bread and half the side doesn't have it?

I have examples in this write-up

How to remove a Ceramic Paint Coating High Spot by Mike Phillips

And also in post #2 of this review

Review: GYEON Q2 ONE Enthusiast Ceramic Coating by Mike Phillips

And I just wrote this article,

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek
    Now lets see what's really going on....

These my friend are holograms....

Can someone explain to me how to tell that the marks in the last 2 pictures are Holograms?

To my eyes all 3 pictures look like swirls, and I don't see the difference between the first picture and the later 2 pictures. (except maybe more lines coming out from where the light hits...?)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by vaced View Post

Can someone explain to me how to tell that the marks in the last 2 pictures are Holograms?

Sure - be happy to....

Quote Originally Posted by vaced View Post

To my eyes all 3 pictures look like swirls, and I don't see the difference between the first picture and the later 2 pictures. (except maybe more lines coming out from where the light hits...?)

Look at the wispy LINES or PATTERNS you see in the below pictures from my article here,

The word holograms means a specific scratch pattern inflicted into paint using a rotary buffer

See the LINES

Holograms are a pattern of SCRATCHES that mimic or copy the direction a ROTARY polisher was moved over the surface.

Swirls are RANDOM.

Micro-marring is caused by ORBITAL polishers, they are not random nor are they caused by a rotary.

Somewhere on this forum I have another article with pictures that shows the different types of paint defects.

6. Thanks Eldorado2k, vaced thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you, Mike.Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

8. Likes dgage, vaced liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Holograms are a pattern of SCRATCHES that mimic or copy the direction a ROTARY polisher was moved over the surface.

Swirls are RANDOM.

Micro-marring is caused by ORBITAL polishers, they are not random nor are they caused by a rotary.
    I have tried to draw on that picture in your post:

I see lines, which i draw on in red. I'm guess this is the direction the rotary was moved

I see other (circular?) scratches, & I draw on (some) of them in blue. These look the same as swirls TO ME, but I THINK these are also from buffer spinning.

Are these circular scratches (where blue lines are) holograms, swirls, or micro-marring?

Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek-clay_mitt_003-jpg

Thanks for the assistance.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345