autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures: 2016 Challenger Scatpack Shaker & 2016 Dodge Hellcat - Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    Very nice!!!!!!! I can't wait to try out my black label coatings!!

How did you apply the cleansing lotion? By hand or machine?
    We mostly applied it by machine - Porter Cable and LC blue pads.

Some small/tight areas were done by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures: 2016 Challenger Scatpack Shaker & 2016 Dodge Hellcat - Black Label ...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    We mostly applied it by machine - Porter Cable and LC blue pads.

Some small/tight areas were done by hand.
    Thanks for the reply Frank! Looks like you guys had a blast!!
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures: 2016 Challenger Scatpack Shaker & 2016 Dodge Hellcat - Black Label ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    Thanks for the reply Frank! Looks like you guys had a blast!!
    I always seem to have good time at the makeovers. It's good getting together with the usual group of guys, and meeting new people and eating some good food.

Mike is a great teacher and I always learn something new since every car has its unique issues.

You should try to make it sometime.

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures: 2016 Challenger Scatpack Shaker & 2016 Dodge Hellcat - Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Forgot to add the below pictures to this thread. I previously used them in a write-up for the LC ThinPro pads but a recent discussion reminded me of the below pictures.

Half my work on this forum is simply remembering and/or finding work already done.

Removing wet sanding marks with the NEW Lake Country ThinPro Grey Extreme Cutting Pad

We machine polished Ken's R/T Scatpack Shaker to perfection using the new and improved Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish. This killer fine cut polish removed all the fine swirls and scratches and perfectly prepared the paint for a ceramic paint coating EXCEPT there were some deeper scratches on the passenger side roof. Ken didn't know how they were inflicted into the hood? They looked like something impacted the roof leaving straight line scratches about a half inch long over an area about 5" square.

Machine sanding

Sorry we didn't take any pictures but our classes are intense and very hands-on and the focus is on creating show cars not creating articles. That said, I machine sanded the scratches using the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher and 3M Trizact #3000 three inch sanding discs. I followed this by refining my sanding marks using 3M Trizact #5000 three inch sanding discs.

Next I asked Jeff aka GSKR here on the forum if he would remove the sanding marks NOT with a rotary buffer but with the same tool we sanded with and the NEW 3.5" ThinPro pads. Now Jeff is a good friend and one heck of a detailer. This guy can make a rotary buffer dance on paint. While I know he would normally make 2-3 passes with rotary and simply obliterate the sanding marks I wanted to challenge him to use what most would consider the least powerful polisher in our shop of 150 polishers.

Normally I wouldn't use the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher to remove sanding marks but with the new 3.5" ThinPro pads and the excellent pad rotation I had already seen and experienced I knew these pads would work great with small orbital polishers.

Here's Jeff working his magic!

This is the 3.5" Grey Extreme Cutting pad with McKee's Fast Compound

Look at the buffing pattern in the film of compound on the paint. Jeff's good and I trust him with any project here at Autogeek

Now Jeff has switched over to a 3.5" ThinPro white polishing pad and is re-polishing the area with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

After all the polishing work was over we applied Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating and here's the final results.

If you've been waiting for small thin pads for your small orbital polisher no matter what the brand the wait is over!

On Autogeek.com

3.5" ThinPro Foam Buffing Pads

Other products mentiond...

Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher

Griot's Garage 3" Pneumatic Orbital Polisher

RUPES Mini 12mm orbital polisher

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

McKee's 37 Fast Compound 16 oz

Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating v2

3M Trizact Hookit 3 Inch Foam Discs P3000

3M Trizact 3 Inch 5000 Grit Foam Discs

2016 Challenger R/T Scatpack Shaker by Dodge - Shine by Pinnacle Black Label

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

Whats the story on the green Hellcat?

Reason for asking is that I might be doing a green Hellcat just like the one in your posts above. Biggest concern I have is the matt hood and rear spoiler. How or what to I do to clean those up? Plus I will have a ton questions in coming days---hopefully!

The car is in really good shape. Owner is very meticulous with his cars. Not too shabby on the baggie test but if I were to coat---I'll clay and polish it out. It's close to being a 2 step but if he wants perfection, I'll just do a 3 step.

Biggest concern right now is how do I approach the matt paint on the hood and rear spoiler.

Thanks,

Tom

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Hi Mike,

Whats the story on the green Hellcat?

Reason for asking is that I might be doing a green Hellcat just like the one in your posts above. Biggest concern I have is the matt hood and rear spoiler. How or what to I do to clean those up? Plus I will have a ton questions in coming days---hopefully!

The car is in really good shape. Owner is very meticulous with his cars. Not too shabby on the baggie test but if I were to coat---I'll clay and polish it out. It's close to being a 2 step but if he wants perfection, I'll just do a 3 step.

Biggest concern right now is how do I approach the matt paint on the hood and rear spoiler.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

The owner of the green Hellcat takes care of the paint using all Wolfgang compounds, polishes and the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and his car always looks amazing. (he's a local guy).

For the matte surfaces he uses the McKee's Matte Finish product, can't think of the name.

At the time we worked on the two cars in this write-up for these cars the Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Coating, nor the matte coating from GYEON were not around, like in not invented yet.

I just looked at the time stamp for the first post in this thread it's

07-14-2016, 09:19 PM

That's over a year ago.

I have not personally used the GYEON matte coating yet but did test it out at SEMA in a video here with Jeff from GYEON

I have used the Dr. Beasley's matte paint coating and I'm very impressed with the results. See here,

Review: Dr. Beasley’s Matte Paint Coating by Mike Phillips

Continued....

The money shots...

Note: Always take great before shots otherwise your after shots have so little value....

BEFORE

AFTER

NOTE: I'm working on getting the exact type of matte paint used on the 1971 Duster in this thread because I MACHINE polished it to clean it up before applying the coatings.

I explained why in the above thread - because just like the normal paint and the glass and chrome on this car was covered in some type of road film stain, so was the matte paint. And you can't coat dirty paint even when it's matte.

Make sense?

Mike Phillips

Pictures: 2016 Challenger Scatpack Shaker & 2016 Dodge Hellcat - Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Machine Polishing NEGLECTED Matte Vinyl Graphics and Matte Plastic

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Awesome 50/50...

What was the process?

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post

Mike,

Awesome 50/50...

What was the process?

Tom
    A lot of hard work and I used these...

Done.

This was a car we detailed on a Thursday night a few years back. But like we all know,

Nothing lasts forever... not even you or I...

10. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's incredible stuff, Mike.

And a sweet piece of Mopar meat there as well.............
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12