autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1963 Plymouth Fury Drag Race Car - Pictures & Video

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post
    My hands still smell of vanilla...
    hahaha great, it dose have that oily consistency that absorbs into your hands. It makes spreading it out very easy. Did y'all knock the wax out of it's pot and machine wax? I was going to try this but after getting it out it felt so slippery in my hands, I figured I better put it back before mr butterfingers drops it on the floor lol.
    Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedXray View Post
    hahaha great, it dose have that oily consistency that absorbs into your hands. It makes spreading it out very easy. Did y'all knock the wax out of it's pot and machine wax? I was going to try this but after getting it out it felt so slippery in my hands, I figured I better put it back before mr butterfingers drops it on the floor lol.
    We all used micro-fiber gloves.I distributed the wax for the DA`s with the wax sitting on the lid when done.Each time a machine needed wax a simple test on the windshield to determine if the pad was dry.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on this Classic mate !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post
    We all used micro-fiber gloves.I distributed the wax for the DA`s with the wax sitting on the lid when done.Each time a machine needed wax a simple test on the windshield to determine if the pad was dry.

Please explain

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by banzaitoyota View Post
    Please explain
    As you work around the car spreading the wax over the paint, to test and see if you're getting low on wax simply turn the polisher off and dab the face of your waxing pad on any of the glass windows on the car you're waxing and an impression of wax will be left on the glass. You can use how much or how little wax you see on the glass as an indicator as to how much wax is left on the pad.

This is more helpful when machine waxing light cars versus dark colored cars.

We shot a video of this technique and as Yancy works through his list of videos to edit we'll get this posted when it's ready.

Mike Phillips

The first thing we do when a car arrives to the show car garage is get it clean...

How To Wash a Classic Muscle Car

Here's a tip for anyone that owns a classic muscle car for how to get your car clean without having to use a traditional car wash using a hose and bucket and that's by using a waterless wash.

Here's why...

Washing a classic muscle car, or any classic or antique car using a hose and bucket flushes the car with a lot of water. Here's the problem... the water gets everywhere and by this I mean into places you cannot reach to dry and this creates a potential rust issue.

As a professional courtesy and as a professional "Best Practice" I don't wash classic, antique or muscle cars and I don't even use rinseless washes on them, I use waterless washes.

Example: 1963 Plymouth Fury
    Last night we had a classic muscle car that has been recently painted. The car has overspray paint all over the paint, glass, trim, bumpers and pretty much everything on the exterior. Before we clayed the car and used the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads to remove the overspray the first thing we did was use a waterless wash to remove all the loose surface dirt and we did this two ways.

The first way we used the waterless was was using the Mytee Big Boss Rechargeable Solution Sprayer. Now this isn't the type of tool the casual car owner buys to wash a couple of classic cars out in the garage. It is the type of tool a mobile detailer could use save their hands from getting carpel tunnel or repetitive motion injuries. It's a very cool tool that will lay down a waterless wash with the pull of a trigger.

Here's Andy using the Mytee Big Boss Rechargeable Solution Spray using Detailer's Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate mixed 1 to 3. The holding tank on the Big Boss holds 5 gallons so mixing this concentrate is a simple as adding one gallon of the concentrate to 3 gallons of water to create 4 gallons of ready to use waterless wash.

The Big Boss comes with both a short nozzle sprayer for wetting down car exteriors or a wand sprayer for extended reach. In this shot Andy is using the short nozzle sprayer.

After wetting the hood and front grill and bumper Andre moves in to spread the product around and wipe these areas clean.

Andy tackles the bumper and front grill...

Simple Method
    The simple way to use a waterless wash is to simply use a spray bottle to wet the surface. Here's John using Detailer's Waterless Auto Wash to wipe the roof clean...

Helpful tip...
    When using a waterless wash, have plenty of clean, dry microfiber towels on hand and switch to a clean, dry towel often to prevent cross-contamination while wiping the exterior body panels clean.

The above is how to take a professional approach to cleaning a classic, antique or muscle car without introducing a lot of water posing a potential risk for rust in places you cannot see or reach to dry.

On Autogeek.net

Detailer's Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate

Detailer's Waterless Wash

Mike Phillips

Removing Overspray Paint using Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

This 1963 Plymouth Fury was recently repainted. As a by-product of the painting process, there was overspray all over the car. It was very easy to feel the overspray paint on the hood and the windshield but chances are very good the entire car has some level of overspray paint, including all the glass, all the paint, all the chrome and stainless steel trim and even the wheels and tires.

Interesting Factoid...
    The most common place to get overspray paint on your car is while it's at a body shop for repairs or a complete paint job.

Tip...
    Anytime you have your car re-painted, or even just a portion of the car repainted, while at the body shop, inspect the car for overspray and if discovered, point this out to the shop managers.

Nanosking Autoscrub Pads

This is a cropped out section from the above with no resizing...

Fine and Medium Grade Pads
    The blue foam indicates the fine grade while the yellow foam indicates the medium grade Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads.

Nanoskin Glide Instant Detailer and Spray Lubricant Concentrate

Time to get busy....
    The Nanoskin Autoscrub pads are incredibly effective at removing above surface bonded contaminants like paint overspray and best of all you work by machine using dual action polishers, any dual action polisher.

Here's Tim using a Meguiar's G110v2 with a Medium Grade, (Yellow), Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad...

Here's Den using a Porter Cable 7424XP with a Medium Grade, (Yellow), Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad...

Here's Greg using a Porter Cable 7424XP with a Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Grade Pad....

Here's Andy give some pointers literally....

Here's Nick using the Griot's Garage DA Polisher with a Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Pad...

Here's Craig using the Cyclo Mark 5 Pro with two 4" Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Grade Pads...

Here's Bryan using the Meguiar's G110v2 with the Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine Grade Pad...

Tim is a machine with a machine! Way to go Tim!

Here's Rob using the Griot's DA Polisher with the Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Grade Pad...

As you can see, just by this first machine step the gloss is already starting to really amp up!

On Autogeek.net

Nanoskin Car Care Products

Last edited by Mike Phillips; 06-14-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It is definitely a great looking classic.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

More pictures of the tools used and the guys using them next week!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike thanks for the great night we had Thursday working on that 63 fury way cool to see those old ones, push button shift and all. Great night learned a lot props 2 you and the guys that were there its always a pleasure. Cant wait till next time.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast