autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Autogeek's Car of the Week - 1994 Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6- Thursday, September 15th

Mike, need assistance again? TCC5 meet tomorrow up at tradition's and I think this time a couple of guys want to come after bragging about the experience....I will confirm if there is interest and call you Monday.

Mike Phillips

Re: Autogeek's Car of the Week - 1994 Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6- Thursday, September 15th

Quote Originally Posted by Rencor View Post
    Mike, need assistance again? TCC5 meet tomorrow up at tradition's and I think this time a couple of guys want to come after bragging about the experience....I will confirm if there is interest and call you Monday.

Yes.

This Porsche has a lot of curves, both convex and concave plus thin, tight areas to buff not to mention taking off the grill under the louvers on the deck-lid.

I actually used this car for a video on how to tape-off a car here,

Online Classes

It would really help to have a person savvy with the iPhone and Facebook to take and upload pictures to my Facebook page on the fly as we work on this car.

Because the CQuartz coating needs 20 to 30 minutes before it can be wiped-off the paint we'll need a team of people working together to,

• Remove Swirls
    • Polish to a high gloss
    • Wipe with
    • Apply the CQuartz
    • Carefully remove the CQuartz

Then we can take some beauty shots of the results and I have a new special guest to help this Thursday night.

Post Thanks / Like

See you there. I know I have 1 from the group interested and he is tech savy. I won't get there til 5-5:30 though...

Mike Phillips

For everyone attending...

Autogeek's TV Studio & Garage
    7744 SW Jack James Drive

Stuart, FL 34997
    Mapquest Driving Directions

Please be sure to call me or e-mail to let me know you're attending and if you're brining anyone with you so I can manage the number of people accordingly.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

mike, another trick i used on my wifes mb sunroof fuzzy seal was to brush it thoroughly removing old polish etc then tape the metal side off and apply several coats of black shoe dye. worked like a charm and so far is bullet proof to foaming/washing etc.

the former owner of the car had ground off alot of the fuzz with a buffer so i didnt have much to lose to try the above.

budinsc

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by budinsc View Post
    mike, another trick i used on my wifes mb sunroof fuzzy seal was to brush it thoroughly removing old polish etc then tape the metal side off and apply several coats of black shoe dye. worked like a charm and so far is bullet proof to foaming/washing etc.

the former owner of the car had ground off alot of the fuzz with a buffer so i didnt have much to lose to try the above.

budinsc

Good tips!

Most non-detailing minded people don't even consider what a pain it will be to clean the fuzzy seal after the fact and most I've worked on are filled with white polish residue.

Car manufacturers really need to avoid using material like the fuzzy seal around a sun roof, it's just to hard to cover, too hard to clean and maintain.

The Porsche will be here Wednesday Afternoon so I'll inspect it as soon as it arrives.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess I'll be there in spirit from Kansas.

Maybe I can do some work on my one-of-a-kind 2001 Grand Prix () while you guys are working on that.
    Kevin

Mike Phillips

Sam just dropped off his Porsche, told me the car was recently taken up to 175 mph before the road ran out and there was still 1000 RPM before redline was hit.

Back on topic... here she is in all her glory...

Looking good!

Were going to use the CarPro Ceramic Paint Protection Kit Nick just announced here if you want to duplicate this process to your car..

CarPro Kits Now Available!

I inspected the paint using the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light and while it has some swirls and scratches, it's not near as bad as the first time I buffed it out so hats off to Sam for doing a good job of carefully maintaining the finish for the last year or so...

To remove the swirls and scratches we're going to use Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, followed by Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and we're going to use a combination of Porter Cable 7424XP DA Polishers and Flex PE-14 Rotary Buffers with Lake Country Hydro-Tech Pads including the 3.5" pads on Optimum Adapters for doing surgical correction work on tight areas and thin panels.

First up will be washing the car followed by car using the CarPro Iron X Iron Remover and then we'll clay the paint.

We have a team of people arriving starting at 5:00pm tomorrow so my job before then is to get the car washed, decontaminated, clayed and taped-off before the fun begins.

Then we can start doing this...

Mike Phillips

First thing this morning I washed the car thoroughly but gently as the paint is still overall in pretty good shape. In my e-book there's a section on the two different ways to wash a car (using a normal car wash), and this is the gentle approach.

Before I washed it here's what polish residue looks like after it's dried into fuzzy gaskets like used around the sunroof.

First up... wash the wheels and tires... soft Boar's Hair Brush, lug nut brush and Wolfgang Tire and Wheel Cleaner

The Lug nut brush works really well for cleaning the barrels

Bristles are flexible to get into intricate areas and agitate cleaner with roadgrime and brake dust

Daytona Speedmaster Wheel Brush for getting behind the wheel and into tight areas...

First wheel cleaned and rinsed...

Sprayed on Iron X and let dwell, as you can see the wheels were actually pretty free of any iron contamination... that's a good thing although I know everyone wants to see a lot of color running off the rim... (that would mean the wheel was in fact embedded with iron filings.

After agitating I rinsed...

Perfectly clean and contamination free... I repeated the same procedure to the other three wheels and tires...

Next, wash the body panels starting at the top and working down, I also continually rinsed the wheels and tires as I worked around the car so any lingering resides were rinsed off..

Note the labels on the buckets, simple idea but helpful because as you work around the car even though one bucket is the soap solution and the other is rinse water, they both end up with suds floating on top. The labels make it easy to quickly identify which bucket is which...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Next up... decontaminate the body panels using Iron X

After allowing the product to dwell for a few minutes I gently re-washed the paint and then rinsed all the residue off...

Ready to dry, for this I used Guzzler Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towels...

Then Yancy moved the car into full sun so I could capture some before shots... as you can see the paint isn't in to bad of condition. Light swirls and scratches as well as some water imprint spots...

I do all the work... Yancy has all the fun...

Even in this shot with the sun shining down onto the curve of the fender you can see there's not a lot of swirls but there are some scratches around the door handle.

In order to inspect for swirls outside you need bright overhead sunlight...

Yancy positions the Porsche for the buff-out...

Then we opened her up to wipe down the door jambs...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast