autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1956 Pontiac Star Chief Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

There's a lot of stainless steel on this car including the fenderskirts... no black or gray pebble textured plastic trim to be seen...

We're going to see if we can restore some brilliance to the stainless steel...
    My first job in the car business was in my uncle's body shop, back when I was in grade school. In those days, with the poor longevity of the old lacquers, it was common to have a full repaint on a 5 or 6 year old car. Most of the brightwork was removed an put in a big pile. I had a gallon jug of the old orange rubbing compound and a pile of cotton rags. My task was to hand polish all that stuff and have it done by the time the paintwork was done. When you had a high-end model, such as a Pontiac Star Chief, Chrysler New Yorker, Plymouth Fury or Buick Roadmaster, the pile was just huge!
    Some of the "good old days' weren't all that good.

Bill

Mike Phillips

Hey Jon,

It was sure great to meet you and fun working with you... getting some pictures ready to upload, here's a parting shot as Jon's driving back to Panama City, Florida.

Mapquest shows Panama city to be, 7 hrs 45 mins / 502.33 miles, so drive safe and thank you for taking the time to visit Autogeek while you were in Florida.

Jon Leidgen aka PAR Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome! I'm happy for Jon and you both. Sounds like a great time. What a col car to work on too!

Mike Phillips

Before

Here's some sun-shots of the true condition of the paint I took before Earl left...

Ouch! Kind of hurts your eyes, especially knowing the car these swirls are in...

Today we removed the hood ornament and found some pretty bad water spots, likely where water pooled under the ornament.

Did a test spot using a PC on the 6.0 Speed Setting with a 5.5" Cyan Hydro-Tech Pad with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish. Majority of swirls and shallow scratches came out leaving only the RIDS, so we moved onto claying the paint...

First the "Baggie Test" to check for above surface bonded contaminants. Even though this is a restored, rare classic, it was covered with Above Surface Bonded Contaminants.

Jon clays using Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and Pinnacle Clay Lubricant

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Classic cars have painted grills right at the base of the windshield and usually, if you look close you'll see polish residue splattered into it during a previous detailing session.

Our goal is to avoid adding to it and if possible remove as much as we can...

The Beach Towel Tip

Next we want to test to confirm the paint is single stage or basecoat/clearcoat, it looks like a single stage paint but it only takes a few seconds to test and confirm...

To test for a single stage paint, try to find a light colored or white polish if you're working on any kind of pigmented paint. If you're testing white paint then try to use a polish with a color to it and a dark colored cloth, (so you can confirm that you're removing white paint and not just seeing the color of the paint).

Use an ample amount for plenty of lubrication as you're going to want to push firmly if no oxidation is present as was the case with the finish on the classic car.

Confirmed, we're working on a single stage paint... also note the heavier accumulation were my fingers pressed down with the most pressure... this is because you can exert more pressure to the small area of your finger tips than you can with your entire hand, you can use this to work for you or cause problems depending upon what you're trying to do...

The holes here where the hood ornament bolts on will allow splatter from the rotary buffer to fly through and into the engine compartment so we're going to place another beach towel under this area to capture any splatter.

Ready to start buffing...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

We used Flex PE-14 Rotary Buffers with 5.5" Cyan Hydro-Tech Foam Cutting Pads around 1200 RPM with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover to cut out the swirls, water spots and scratches...

Jon tries using the Flex PE-14 without the handle gripping the head for control and I think he liked it... he sure did a great job...

Anytime you're abrading paint you have two things building up on the face of your pad, that's

Spent product
    Removed paint

If you're working on a clear coat you're still removing paint you just can't see it as easily because it's clear, it's still important to clean your pads often when doing correction work.

Next we machine polished the paint using 5.5" Tangerine Hydro-Tech Polishing Pads with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish at around 600 RPM

After using the rotary buffer to remove any swirls left by the cutting pad and/or swirl remover, we cleaned our pads and then placed them on DA Polishers and finished out with the DA's to ensure a swirl free finish...

Now we're ready to machine wax and for this we're using Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Carnauba Wax with DA Polishers and 5.5" Crimson Hydro-Tech Finishing pads.

Mike Phillips

Continued...

When it was time to remove the wax I asked Jon if had ever used microfiber gloves to hold his microfiber towels and he said "no" so I had him give them a try...

What do you think... does it work better than just the bare hand?

Water Spots are gone so we replaced the hood ornament...

Simple process, easy to do, show car results...

Sun is going down but I'll get some sun shots on Sunday... until then, here's some beauty shots...

Mmmm... glossy and wet looking with a deep, wet shine...

Time to take the classic cruiser around the block... it's fun to shine them but driving them is even better...

Note Jon is using the Marilyn Monroe Suicide Knob... it's a HUGE diameter steering wheel and the Suicide Knob makes steering corners faster...

One classy classic...

Thanks for driving all the way to sunny Stuart, Florida, it was a genuine pleasure meeting you and putting a face to an Avatar!

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up Mike. I'm amazed at the correction you were able to get out of this. I recently did a 75 Ford Maverick and those grills right in front of the windshield were caked with polish from previous "detailing" sessions. I think I spent the majority of my time getting rid of the old wax.

The one thing I love about working on older cars is they are time capsules. It is amazing how technology and time have changed automobiles. Things like pumping the gas pedal, all the chrome and vinyl. Just amazing.

Did you choose the Pinnacle products for any particular reason on this car?
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent job! I enjoyed the write-up.

Nice to see an old beauty like that looking great again

Post Thanks / Like

Was very nice to meet Jon, he caught me on a real busy day so I did not get the chance to go in the garage and hang out but glad Mike let him have some fun in there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast