autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Blown 1934 Ford Pick-up - Show Car Makeover - Modeled by Kristin

Blown 1934 Ford Pick-up - Show Car Makeover - Modeled by Kristin

As I type this it's 8:30am Saturday morning and the below street rod will be showing up any minute. I'm going to go roll out the floor mats to protect out studio tile floor while we work on this truck today and I'll try to post a couple of pictures of the truck after it arrives.

Hang tight...

Mike Phillips

Re: Blown 1934 Ford Pick-up - Show Car Makeover - Modeled by Kristin

Here go...

9:00am sharp we hear a very loud rumble outside the studio, I grabbed my camera, opened the garage door and took these shots of the 34 driving toward our studio..

We moved the 1934 inside and then wiped the finish down using Detailer's Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash.

After wiping the finish down we felt the paint using our clean hands and also using The Baggie Test.

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants

Both methods of inspecting the paint revealed a very clean and contaminant free finish so we skipped claying the paint.

Then I did my best to capture the fine or shallow swirls and scratches in the paint... hard to do with a camera but easy enough to see in person with your eyes...

Next we cover-up all the brightwork and there's lots of it. Take my word for it, when it comes to projects like this you don't dare get polish spatter dots on the engine or in this example the exposed running gear in the truck bed. It's not professional and besides that it would take you hours to wipe the little dots of polish splatter off.

The Autogeek Cover-up Towel is made from soft microfiber and can be washed and re-used. This come in real handy for covering up anything you don't want to get compound or polish splatter dots onto so you won't have to detail these areas with a toothbrush after the the wax has been removed.

The soft microfiber won't scratch paint or polished metals. Simple cover or wrap around components and then use a little painter's tape to secure them in place.

Here we've covered the polished aluminum gas tank and the chrome independent rear-end...

I got the other guys going with the Meguiar's, Porter Cable and Griot's Garage full size DA Polishers polishing all the major panels and set up the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polishers for the smaller, tighter hard to reach areas.

Meanwhile I tackled the random, isolated deeper scratches, some by dampsanding with Meguiar's #3000 Finishing Discs and some just using the new Optimum 3" Microfiber Pads on a Flex PE 14 Rotary Buffer using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover.

Mike Phillips

Continued...

After the radiator shell we moved to an area with some raised dimples on the paint, we sanded the area flat and then removed our sanding marks.

The above is what I call Surgical Rotary Buffer work which comes in real handy for working on small or thin panels or hard to buff areas. You need an extension for your rotary buffer, small backing plates and small buffing pads.

Trend: Backing Plate Extensions for Surgical Precision Buffing

On Autogeek.net
    Optimum Optimum Double-Sided Rotary Adapter
    2-3/4 inch Hook & Loop Rotary Backing Plate

The Polishing or Minor Correction Step
    To remove any shallow scratches, scuffs and other imperfections we used the Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's G110v2 and Griot's Garage 6" and 3" DA Polishers with polishing pads and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

Here's Brian using the Porter Cable 7424XP with a 5.5" Lake Country Black Flat Foam Polishing Pad with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish on the inner portion of the driver's front fender.

Here's Tommy using a Meguiar's G110v2 with a 5.5" Lake Country Black Flat Foam Polishing Pad with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish on the driver's side roof.

Here's Andy with PC ready to tackle the passenger's side of the roof...

Teamwork...

Here's Kyle using a Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher...

Using the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher with a Griot's Garage 3" Foam Polishing Pad and Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover to remove any haze or swirls left by the rotary buffer step...

Andy knocking out the running boards...

Kyle getting the inside of the pick-up bed...

This is me working on the window frames...

Machine polishing the visor using the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Cleaning an Optimum 3.25" Microfiber Polishing Pad using a Pad Conditioning Brush

Start out slow on the 1 setting which is 600RPM to spread the product out after using the 10 @ 10 Technique to pick up a bead of product

The 10 @ 10 technique for picking up a bead of product with a rotary buffer

Following up using a Porter Cable 7424XP to ensure any swirls are removed...

Machine Waxing - The Protection Step
    After carefully wiping off all polishing residue we moved onto applying a coat of Wolfgang Füzion by machine. Two guys will use full size DA's and two of us will be using the 3" DA's...

I used a hot air gun to heat the outside of the plastic jar so I could slide the wax out as a single chunk of wax and hold it in a clean Microfiber Glove...

Then carefully swipe it across the face of a clean, foam finishing or waxing pad...

Tommy machine waxing the rear fender...

Getting Kyle set up to machine wax...

Kyle machine waxing the front fender...

The 3" Mini Polisher with a 3" Red Waxing pad works perfect on the front frame rails...

Lance has been playing Photographer all night and as you can see by the pictures he did a great job. Here you can see him checking out the 3" Mini Polisher to machine wax...

Tommy machine waxing the inside of the bed...

Machine waxing the paint in front of the engine...

Machine waxing the painted steel radiator tube...

f

Where we couldn't get a machine we used soft Gold Wax Finger Pockets which worked great...

Time to remove the wax
    Microfiber Gloves help you to grip your microfiber towels and they also prevent you from putting fingerprints on the paint...

For the wax removal step we're using Super Soft Deluxe Green Microfiber Towels with Rolled Edges these microfiber towels are incredibly soft and gentle to highly polished paint.

End Results...
    We didn't want to get the headers hot so we pushed it out after removing the coat of Fuzion, to avoid getting finger prints on the car everyone is wearing Microfiber Gloves...

Need to get this truck outside for a few mintutes...

So we can roll up the protective mats...

Mike Phillips

And then bring the pick-up back in to take some beauty shots...

Oh yeah...

Blown bad boy...

To get these kinds of results we machine polished this using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Then applied Wolfgang Fuzion over it, which you see Kristin holding here...

Wolfgang Füzion is a true show car wax creating a clear, deep, wet shine on properly prepared paint...

Wolfgang Füzion is also super easy to apply by hand...

And wipes off super easy...

Kristin inspects our work using the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light...

Looks like a polished gemstone...

And of course, the Transformation Team...

From left to right...
    Tommy, Andy, Brian, me, Lance and Kyle...

Post Thanks / Like

Waiting to see this truck all cleaned up.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Mike Phillips

Placeholder #7

This is a placeholder for the process pictures and write-up after we've finished this project. This way the pictures and information won't be on added pages later so anyone clicking on this link will see the entire project on the first page and at the same time people can post comments and questions...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Normaly blindspots annoy me on a car, but this one I could learn to live with

What an AWESOME looking truck!!!
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

The guys are hard at work out in the Show Car Garage!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast