autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

12 different people - 6 different polishers and 1 jeweling wax = wet paint

12 different people - 6 different polishers and 1 jeweling wax = wet paint

Last night we held one of our Wednesday night project classes with a special guest all the way from Argentina!

This Gustavo. Gustavo reached out to me via e-mail to let me know he was going to be in Stuart and wanted to know if we had any classes he could attend? My answer?

You bet!

1968 Camaro Z28 Rally Sport

So I had this old 2-door Chevy in the garage left over from a video Yancy and I made and it was in dire need of some machine polishing so I invited Gustavo to stop in and then opened the doors to any locals that wanted to learn more about the different types of polishers at Autogeek and to also test out Pinnacle Jeweling Wax.

We had 12 people attend last night. I shared the unique characteristics about all the orbitals in the garage as well as the history of the orbital polisher and then told everyone after doing a waterless wash and claying the paint they could choose and use any orbital polisher they wanted to try out. The other requirement was to stick with foam polishing pads in keeping with the recent article I wrote here.

First up - Waterless wash with Pinnacle Waterless Wash

Next - Claying the paint to remove the above surface bonded contaminants.

Using the SCANGRIP Color Match light I captured the before condtion

2. Likes VISITOR, JWallace, JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: 12 different people - 6 different polishers and 1 jeweling wax = wet paint

Continued....

Time to get polishing....

Wax on!

Swirl finder light

Beauty shots....

Here's the tools used....

Here's the team that made the magic happen!

Here's the wax we used - that's right, just a this wax, no compounding or polishing....

Now that looks right!

4. Thanks Jerry0, Sports Fan thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR, FrankS, SWETM, JWallace, JKDesign and 3 others liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here at Autogeek, we carry a wide variety of brands and types of orbital polishers. All of them can and will take a diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone. As you can see from the pictures above, we had people from all backgrounds, some experienced and some had never machine polished before. Yet the results were consistent no matter which tool or which person did the work.

Besides a quality tool though, quality results and consistent results over a wide spectrum of paint types starts with great abrasive technology. Pinnacle Jeweling Wax is an All-in-One or one-step cleaner/wax that uses great abrasive technology. You can use it with any machine or even by hand. It works great as you can see by the results on the paint on the Camaro and wipe-off is super easy.

On Autogeek.com

Pinnacle Souveran Jeweling Wax

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Flex XC 3401, FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401 VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,FLEX buffer

FLEX XFE7-15 Long Stroke Orbital Polisher

RUPES BigFoot LK 900E Mille Gear Driven Polisher

https://www.autogeek.net/rupes-12e-duetto.html

https://www.autogeek.net/makita-po50...-polisher.html

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-mt...-polisher.html

6. Likes SWETM, JWallace liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job on that RS. Love the hideaway light on those.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work! That Z is looking wet!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work and results speaks for it self!

A very nice thing to setup a class for a visitor from a foreign country!

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome class/project Mike. Thanks for having us. Was a really cool car to do my first waterless wash. I’ve watched a few of your videos but it’s nice to be their in person.

The history lesson on the tools was awesome too. Since the Jeep/corvette class I picked up a flex 3401 and love it. This time I Got to play with the Makita PO5000C and the rupes Millie both great tools but happy with my choice on the 3401.

Big thanks to frank and Robert for there time also. Was another great expierence thanks for all you do and I look forward to the next one.

11. Likes FrankS, Red Lehr liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JWallace View Post

Awesome class/project Mike. Thanks for having us. Was a really cool car to do my first waterless wash. I’ve watched a few of your videos but it’s nice to be their in person.
    I took a screenshot of a comment posted by a facebook detailing expert the other day ago, he said taking detailing classes was scam. But you make the point that he somehow missed, and that is while watching videos and reading articles are all good but nothing beats working hands-on in the real world.

The history lesson on the tools was awesome too.
    Sad to say, I'm one of the few guys that knows our history, (car detailing history), that also talks and types on multiple platforms. I know a few guys that know the history of our industry, but they either don't hang out on forum (or facebook) nor do they type or interact with the public in a educational way.

The reason I took a few minutes to share a portion of car detailing history as it relates to tools is because at the New Jersey Roadshow Class, while administering the IDA Skills Validation tests, one of the guys I tested did not recognize the Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher or even recognize the "name" of the tool when I said the name and also pointed at the tool. Yeah... that caught me off guard. The Porter Cable dual action polisher, actually dual action WOOD SANDER is the tool that opened to doors for everyone and anyone to polish paint without screwing it up and it's also the tool that all other dual action polishers, both free spinning and gear-driven are a direct evolution from this simple tool.

I share the story behind the Porter Cable here,

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

So before we started, while introducing all the other tools that everyone had the option to test out, I though I would share where they came from. Plus I also have in my antique wax collection the first foam buffing pad for use on the Porter Cable. And from this simple foam pad we now have hundreds of foam pad choices.

I share the first dual action foam pads here,

The history behind polishing paint with a DA Polisher

Since the Jeep/corvette class I picked up a flex 3401 and love it.
    That would be this Wednesday night project,

2017 Jeep Wrangler MONSTER JEEP Mike Phillips Autogeek

This time I Got to play with the Makita PO5000C and the rupes Millie both great tools but happy with my choice on the 3401.
    Correct. Actually all three of these gear-driven orbitals are great tools and when a person spends enough time behind them they can make them dance on paint.

Big thanks to frank and Robert for there time also.
    Both of these guys are always an asset when they join us for a project.

Was another great experience thanks for all you do and I look forward to the next one.
    And thank you for taking the time to share your experience from this project in this thread.

I hope some of the other people that attended will chime in with their experience and thoughts about the tools or the wax, or even the cool old 2-door Chevy.

13. Likes JWallace, osiapstndp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, As always, thanks for doing these classes on your free time. Especially providing us with top of the line polishers, compounds and polishes to try out. I'm just a hobbiest with a 6 inch Griot's Garage, but, it's only a matter of time until I upgrade to one of the long stroke machines. These classes let me Try Before I Buy. I'll see you at the next one.

15. Likes Diner, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Way cool Beautiful Camaro! All you guys ROCKED IT!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast