autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 12 different people - 6 different polishers and 1 jeweling wax = wet paint

Beautiful 69 Z-28 Mike. I have a 1971 Camaro Z-28 RS (Spilt bumper) and I wish I was closer as I’d love for you to work your magic on it. The crew did an amazing job on that one!

Post Thanks / Like

That thing looks incredible!!
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Mike Phillips

For reference, this is a before shot from my iPhone....

Sure it looks good to the untrained eye and without the correct lighting to reveal the swirls and scratches.

But in person, with a swirl finder light, the car looked horrible.

Just for reference.

Post Thanks / Like

That is truly spectacular Mike. I wonder if I should try that type of AIO for the single stage paint on my Nova?

How did you approach the trim, door handles, and emblems on that car? It looks like you did not tape them off or remove them. Did you just stay away from those areas with the polishers?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work. Cool class. Neat car.

Gotta say, that Jeweling Wax looks like a heck of a product.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic job everyone !! I grabbed a bottle of the Jeweling wax on my last order and it really is amazing stuff.
    Mike, I was curious about what pads you used while buffing ? It looks like orange pads first then white pads and blue for final buff ?
    That would be three rounds of buffing, correct ?
    Forgive me if I missed any of this info in the post...Thanks !

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job Guys!
    Professional Car Detailing in Toronto. www.rsautospa.ca - Ceramic Coating - Paint Protection Film featuring best clear bra brands from: SunTek Ultra, STEK.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry0 View Post

Mike, As always, thanks for doing these classes on your free time. Especially providing us with top of the line polishers, compounds and polishes to try out.

I'm just a hobbiest with a 6 inch Griot's Garage, but, it's only a matter of time until I upgrade to one of the long stroke machines.

These classes let me Try Before I Buy. I'll see you at the next one.

Thanks for always taking part in these classes Jerry, I have a few more coming up, so stay-tuned....

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lehr View Post

Fantastic job everyone !! I grabbed a bottle of the Jeweling wax on my last order and it really is amazing stuff.
    Helped this car to get Jay Leno's Big Dog Award!

Jay Leno BIG DOG Award to 1965 Buick Skylark Grand Sport - Pinnacle Jeweling Wax

Mike, I was curious about what pads you used while buffing ? It looks like orange pads first then white pads and blue for final buff ?
    I looked through the pictures and it looks like for some panels we did use foam cutting pads. My guess these were primarily for the horizontal panels.

Here's the deal.... in a perfect world you want to try to stick with foam "polishing" pads when using an AIO. If you use a foam "cutting" pad you'll get better defect removal but you RISK leaving PAD HAZE in the paint. Pad haze is micro-marring caused by the sharpness of the pad when buffing medium to soft paints.

You might not see pad haze on a light colored car but you will on black and dark colored cars. So be careful.

When I need more cut and I'm using an AIO like the Pinnacle Jeweling Wax I will start with a foam cutting pad and then re-polish with a foam "polishing" or foam "finishing" pads to ensure any pad haze is removed.

I know some guys might say,

If you need more cut why not just use a compound?

That's a good question and my answer is ridiculous. The Pinnacle Jeweling wax wipes off so much easier than a compound it makes it an attractive product to choose simply to make wipe-off easy. I call it the Lazy Factor.

That would be three rounds of buffing, correct ?

Forgive me if I missed any of this info in the post...Thanks !
    You didn't miss it, I didn't dwell on the pads used much in the thread. If you look through page 1 and page 2 of this thread I had already included a TON of info and pictures and sad to say, you simply won't find this volume of pictures with detailed information anywhere else now days on the Internet. Maybe on DetailingWorld.uk but certainly not on Facebook groups, they just don't work well for sharing any sort of formatted text and pictures in a linear manner that makes the information and the pictures easy to absorb and actually use.

But at some point - I have to wrap-up my typing and pictures and move on. For whatever reason - I simply didn't dwell much on the pads used.

Great questions though and thank you for asking.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post

That is truly spectacular Mike. I wonder if I should try that type of AIO for the single stage paint on my Nova?

Thanks for chiming in and also thank you for sharing what you were able to do to the single stage paint on your Nova here,

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post

How did you approach the trim, door handles, and emblems on that car?

It looks like you did not tape them off or remove them.

Did you just stay away from those areas with the polishers?

Great questions! I wish you could have attended the Roadshow Class I taught at 3D in Santa Clarita last summer. I cover this topic in person in all my classes.

That was a great class too.... didn't get a ton of pictures up but a few - shows we we're really there....

Roadshow Class - Canyon Country, California - July 13th, 14th at the 3D Training Center with Mike Phillips at Autogeek

The simple answer to your question though is you simply buff over the chrome and clean it up and make it just as shiny as the paint. Everything on the outside of a car gets a road film stain over time or just any type of contaminant build up. By buffing over the chrome you remove any oxidation and any other "substance" that shouldn't be on the chrome. It is so much more fun to buff out real cars with chrome than BIC Lighter Cars with plastic trim.

Good question - thank you for asking.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great I might have to try it. Is the wax strong enough to remove the ceramic left behind by Carpro essence?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12