autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Old school Hand Rubbed Lacquer - 1957 Chevy - Original Single Stage Paint

Old school Hand Rubbed Lacquer - 1957 Chevy - Original Single Stage Paint

Just finished our Saturday class on how to work on original, single stage paint. This car and the paint on this car is 61 years old.

We had a GREAT turnout for this class!

Thank you to everyone that helped out for focusing on the task at hand and being super careful with the original paint on this 210 Chevy.

Thank you Arnaldo for trusting Autogeek with your beautiful car!

On Autogeek

SONAX Premium Class Carnauba Wax

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze

2. Likes adamgayton81, Aaryn NZ, SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old school Hand Rubbed Lacquer - 1957 Chevy - Original Single Stage Paint

Beautiful job on that ‘57. Absolutely my favorite car of all time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Simply stunning results folks.

What a fantastic opportunity to work 61 year old "Real" paint & in the fashion you all did. Extremely jealous not to be there & be part of this but happy you have documented this & shared it for everyone Mike.

First class work team, nicely done.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

I didn't take a lot of pictures as I hand my hands full playing the part of team leader but here's a couple just to show how a lot hand make for light work...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by adamgayton81 View Post

Beautiful job on that ‘57.

Absolutely my favorite car of all time!
    It was all done by the class. I did a few demos and then turned them loose!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

Simply stunning results folks.

What a fantastic opportunity to work 61 year old "Real" paint & in the fashion you all did.
    Yeperdoo...

The opportunity, the chance and even the permission to work on original paint on a classic care is becoming more and more rare.

Can't count how many projects we've had like this at Autogeek since 2009 - but a LOT!

Extremely jealous not to be there & be part of this but happy you have documented this & shared it for everyone Mike.

First class work team, nicely done.

Aaryn NZ.
    I wish I had more pictures but just too much going on in the garage... but thanks Aaryn...

7. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Can't count how many projects we've had like this at Autogeek since 2009 - but a LOT!

I unfortunately haven't been a forum member since then but I would bet that no other place would have worked with as much antique single stage paint (maybe ever) in that time, be it a detailing shop, a learning facility or otherwise, than the Autogeek Show Car Garage, which I guess is a mixture of the two but in a very special & unique way.

I have been very fortunate in my career to have had many opportunities to work with antique single stage paint & still, I am envious I cannot be a part of the team when these projects come around.

One more ticked off the "to do list" aye Mike.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

I unfortunately haven't been a forum member since then but I would bet that no other place would have worked with as much antique single stage paint (maybe ever) in that time, be it a detailing shop, a learning facility or otherwise, than the Autogeek Show Car Garage, which I guess is a mixture of the two but in a very special & unique way.

Working on as many cars as we do here at a company that is foremost an online store, not a detail shop is a by-product of my passion to do two things,

1: Take a diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone.

2: Show others how to take a diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone.

Most of the time it would be easier to not carve out the time to take on projects, take on the responsibility for the cars and the people, take the pictures, create something that will endure forever, (or as long as Autogeek pays it's server bill), and via these things teach people around the world how to do the same thing in their garage from the day a write-up is posted into the foreseeable future.

I have been very fortunate in my career to have had many opportunities to work with antique single stage paint & still, I am envious I cannot be a part of the team when these projects come around.
    And your passion for this craft is evident in the work you turn out and also in the most excellent write-ups you share and I know I for one and many others on this forum, both members and lurkers appreciate your hard work and time-investment.

One more ticked off the "to do list" aye Mike.

Aaryn NZ.
    The good news is I'll see Arnaldo in the future as he goes to the car shows at the Ace Café and Autogeek will be working with the Ace Café into the future.

10. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post