autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: RUPES EASY GLOSS System - EXTREME MAKEOVER - 2006 Toyota Tundra - YEARS of neglect!

Continued....

Test Spot

Next up we're going to do what I call a Test Spot.

I actually coined this term for the detailing industry and it's very rewarding to see it used widespread throughout not only the detailing industry here in the United States but also the world.

Test Spot - The story behind the story...

How to do a Test Spot

Doing a test spot is easy, First the idea is to TEST the pad, product, tool and your technique to one small area and MAKE SURE it's working to remove the defects and make the paint look like you hope and dream about before repeating the procedure to the entire vehicle. If your process, (that's the product, pad, tool and technique), works in one small area chances are good duplicating it over the rest of the vehicle will give you the exact same results.

If the product, pad, tool and technique doesn't produce the results you were hoping for in your test spot well then you'll be GLAD you tested to a small area FIRST and you didn't buff out the entire vehicle with the process you thought or were hoping would work.

And "yes" I have met detailers and enthusiasts that did NOT know to do a test spot and went on to buff out an entire car using "something" only to find out after they wiped off the "something" the paint looked scoured or swirled-out or micor-marred.

So always TEST FIRST and dial-in your process before buffing out an entire car. You'll be glad you did and it only takes a few minutes.

IF you find the first product, pads and tools of choice are not working, then you can test something else until you dial-in a system that you can verify works. If you get into trouble - well that's what this forum is here form. If you're not a member and reading this as a lurker, then get off the fence and join in the fun.

Click here to join the AutogeekOline.net Car Detailing Discussion Forum

Time to get to work...

Here's a picture of me doing the test spot using the RUPES Easy Gloss System. The compound/polish, pad and RUPES BigFoot orbital polisher worked flawlessly and removed the oxidation, swirls, scratches and water spots leaving behind a true show car finish.

We had people joining in this night that had NEVER used a machine to polish paint before. So here's a little dramatic technique I use to show them just how safe RUPES polishers, pads and products are.

Safe enough for the skin on my hand.... safe enough for the paint on your car....

Mike Phillips

Re: RUPES EASY GLOSS System - EXTREME MAKEOVER - 2006 Toyota Tundra - YEARS of neglect!

Continued....

This is Dion and this is his first time machine polishing....

First a little demonstration on how to hold and move the polisher....

Then a little guidance on how little pressure to use and how slow of an arm speed to move the polisher over the paint plus the overlapping crosshatch pattern to make when buffing out section of paint.

Then I turned Dion loose because really... it's not that hard...

Doing good!

And here's the results...

Here's the same picture above only I've drawn some lines around the section he buffed and drew circles around the light reflections in the paint. You can easily see the difference between before and after results.

Dion picked up on machine polishing fast... I know he's hooked now...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Meanwhile back on the farm....

Here's my good frined Dan woking on the hood...

Notice the cord over the shoulder...

Here I've placed a line clearly showing the side Dan buffed and the original oxidized half of the hood...

Here's a close-up of the overhead florescent lights reflecting onto the paint... I don't think I need to draw a line around anything here for you to see what RUPES Easy Gloss is capable of...

Nice work Dan!

Mike Phillips

Continued....

These classes, like all our classes are a LOT of fun. Learning is important but you learn more and learn better when you're also having fun. Here's some shots of the rest of my team tackling the neglected and oxidized paint on this 2006 Toyota Tundra using the RUPES Easy Gloss System and all the various RUPES polishers....

Plastic gets dull and oxidized too and the RUPES Easy Gloss System restored perfect clarity to these plastic tail light lenses...

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here's Dion applying some SONAX Gloss Tire Gel to add the finishing touches to the now surgically clean tires....

Just look at how glossy, bright and shiny the paint is....

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Team shot!

Mike Phillips

Continued....

A few final beauty shots....

All the techniques used for this project can be found in my book,

How to use The RUPES BigFoot Paint Polishing System

Looking good and looking TOUGH!

Mike Phillips

Continued....

And to recap...

BEFORE

AFTER

How it was done --> RUPES EASY GLOSS SYSTEM

On Autogeek.com

RUPES UHS Easy Gloss System

All RUPES polishes, pads and products

Or simply call Autogeek's Customer Care Staff at

1-800-869-3011

Video showcase of the RUPES EASY GLOSS SYSTEM

Post Thanks / Like

Great job by the team. The truck came out looking great. The Rupes UHS is a nice one step compounding polish to work with that gives great results.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn Mike, you guys killed it. Too bad AG isn't on the West Coast. I'd be like Frank, always there. Good times fellas!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast