autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

Wowwww, that looks amazing!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Mike Phillips

Re: Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

Just to note....

I have some amazing picture to add to this thread.

These are pictures that I'll be using for two classes I'm teaching at Mobile Tech Expo. this month. I also have shots with the SCANGRIP Sunmatch light showing the after results.

So stay tuned, I'll get them added as soon as I can process them and upload them to the gallery.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic job done by the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding work gang! You guys really brought out the depth and color of that paint.

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Inspection for contamination

Before starting we did the baggie test. Since this is a recent custom paint job we didn't expect there to be any above surface bonded contaminants....

We were wrong!

The entire car was covered with paint overspray. So we used RUPES Rapid Cleaner Detailer with Nanoskin Towels and Mitts to remove all of the paint overspray.

When Jim came and picked up his car I mentioned we did the baggie test and found the entire car to be rough to the touch.

He pointed to the driver's side rear quarter panel and told me this section had to be repainted.

This just goes to show what I wrote here is accurate.

A $4.00 Plastic Drop Cloth could have prevented this...

Mike Phillips

Continued....

One Step Correction

After removing the overspray paint I did the Test Spot starting with the RUPES Auarz Gloss Medium Cut Polish with the RUPES green foam pad. While this combo was working to remove the defects it wasn't working as fast or as effectively as I wanted for this type of car, (realistically this is a show car as it's only driven to car shows).

So I did second Test Spot using the RUPES very aggressive blue foam cutting pad and the RUPES Zephyr Gloss Compound.

That did the trick. So this is the approach we used to remove all the sanding marks, holograms and other random swirls and scratches.

Buffing on edge with the RUPES BigFoot 21 Mark II

I cover this technique on page 64 of my RUPES how-to book.

The Metro Blaster SideKick

One of my favorite tools and in my opinion a Must Have tool for anyone that details cars either for fun or profit.

Because the RUPES blue pad is a large open pore foam formula and the RUPES Zephyr Gloss Compound can be a tick on the dusty side, John is waking around the car blowing off the compound residue dust versus any of us wipe it off.

Click here to get you're own Metro Blaster Sidekick

j

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here's Al give the Corvette a final wipe after ONLY the compounding or correction step.

NOTE how beautiful, clear and glossy the paint is at this point in the process.

If this was a daily driver you could stop right here and go to wax or sealant.

Now this is what I call amazing abrasive technology. Anyone that has a bottle of the RUPES Coarse Zephir Gloss Compound, next time you're using it, after shaking it up really well, pour some out in your fingers and feel it.

Then feel how coarse the RUPES blue foam cutting pads are and when you put the two together and get these kind of results.... well that's just mind blowing. If fact, I have an article by that title...

Mind Blowing - RUPES Blue Foam Cutting Pad and Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound

Mike Phillips

Continued....

While a person COULD stop after the RUPES compounding step and go to the waxing step or application of a synthetic sealant, we're going to apply a ceramic paint coating to the custom paint job on this classic Corvette and for this reason, and because this is a 37 year old show car, we're going to take these results to an even higher level.

For this step we're going to polish using the RUPES Diamond Ultra Fine Polish with the RUPES ultra soft white foam polishing pads.

Mike Phillips

Continued...

To seal the paint we're going to use GYEON Q2 Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful !!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast