autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Pictures: 1972 Corvette Stingray - Original Single Stage Paint - Autogeek Extreme Makeover!

Pictures: 1972 Corvette Stingray - Original Single Stage Paint - Autogeek Extreme Makeover!

1972 Corvette Stingray with the Original Single Stage Paint

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures: 1972 Corvette Stingray - Original Single Stage Paint - Autogeek Extreme Makeover!

Been very busy with behind the scenes work for Waxstock and my detailing class in London but have not forgot about sharing how we restored the paint on this original paint 1972 Corvette.

Here's the before pictures I took last Thursday night. Besides the swirls the pait was simply FLAT or MATTE in other words dull with zero gloss and shine.

More pics to come....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures: 1972 Corvette Stingray - Original Single Stage Paint - Autogeek Extreme Makeover!

love the '72 corvette....can not wait to see the pics

Mike Phillips

How to use a Wire Wheel Brush to clean Chrome Wire Wheels

There's a something about chrome wire wheels that when they're clean and the tires are properly dress they add so much class to any vehicle. But when chrome wire wheels are dirty they're an eyesore that takes away from the beauty of the car.

The issue is with all those wire spokes it can take forever to remove all the brake dust and road grime and restore the chrome shine and brilliance to the wheel. That's where you need and want an Wire Wheel Brush.

A wire wheel brush has thousands of bristles along the shaft so when you run the brush in-and-out of the spokes every portion of the spoke gets cleaned. The brush head is tapered giving creating a cone shape making it easy to quickly slip the head of the brush into each new set of wire spokes as you methodically work your way around the wheel.

The bristles themselves are chemical resistant and won't scratch chrome surfaces.

How to clean spoke wheels

While having a well designed brush makes cleaning wire spoke wheels easier and more efficient you still have to get down and do the work part of running the brush in-and-out of each set of spokes plus both sides of where the 2 sets of spokes intersect.

To complement the wire wheel brush you want to use a good wheel cleaner that will dissolve and remove any built-up brake dust and road grime.

Step 1: Now this is key, pick a STARTING POINT that you can remember such as a word on the tire or even the set of spokes next to the air valve. Then begin methodically running the brush in-and-out of the spokes.

Step 2: Run the brush around the wheel until you end up at the starting point.

Step 3: Agitate the outer lip of the rim with a quality wheel brush like the Wheel Woolies Black Boar's Hair Wheel Brush and then rinse well with water.

Step 4: After washing and rinsing the wire spokes next scrub and rinse the tires.

Step 5: After scrubbing the tire clean next rinse the tire with a strong blast of water.

Technique Tip
    By starting with the wheels first and then moving to the tire sidewall when you go to rinse the sidewall you'll have another opportunity to rinse the wheel and flush out any wheel cleaning residues, brake dust and road grime that pooled via gravity in lower areas of the wheel while you were cleaning the tire.

Clean wheels first

The chrome spoke wheels are dull with brake dust and road grime and the tires are turning brown and aged looking...

Here's my friend Frank cleaning the chrome wire spokes on the wire wheels on this classic 1972 Corvette. First Frank sprays McKee's 37 Foaming Wheel Cleaner Gel to the spokes of the wheel.

Next Frank pics a starting point and then methodically runs the wire wheel brush in-and-out of each set of wire spokes.

Clean tires second

After all 4 sets of wire wheels are clean next up Ken, the owner of the Corvette scrubs the tires. You can scrub the tires by hand with a tire cleaning brush or as an option, if you own a Porter Cable dual action polisher, attach a Cyclo green carpet and upholstery brush onto the Porter Cable polisher and turn your paint polisher into a machine tire scrubber.

John Michael, our guest from Italy gives machine scrubbing a try...

Dress Tires last
    After the wheels and tires are washed, dried and clean, nest apply a tire dressing to seal the tires and complete the finished look. For this Frank is using McKee's Gloss Tire Gel and a foam tire swipe.

End results...

Looks like Ken is pretty happy with his sparkling clean wire wheels on his all original 1972 Corvette Stingray!

On Autogeek.com

16 Inch Wire Wheel Brush

McKee's 37 Foaming Wheel Cleaner Gel

McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher

2 Pack Cyclo Polisher Aqua Soft Carpet Brush

Flex Foam Tire Dressing Applicators - 3 Pack

Post Thanks / Like

beautiful !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good!

Post Thanks / Like

lovin' the '72 corvette so muchhhh. <3

Mike Phillips

***Update***

A month or so ago Kent contacted me and let me know some lady in a Hyundai t-boned his all original, family-purchased-new Corvette.

Thankfully you can get a Hyundai in Anytown, USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    ***Update***

A month or so ago Kent contacted me and let me know some lady in a Hyundai t-boned his all original, family-purchased-new Corvette.

Thankfully you can get a Hyundai in Anytown, USA.

Ahh man that's sickening... A freaking Hyundai put an end to it just like that? Damn.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I just noticed you gave a little love to my favorite wheel brush at the top of this thread...

This brush is like the unsung hero of wheel brushes.. It gets treated like the red headed stepchild by most people because they fear it'll scratch their wheels.
    1st time I've seen it get featured in a write up by anyone besides myself

Everyone loves the Wheel Woolie, but this brush is a true underdog, so I like to call it the Moolie.

Mini Moolie. Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast