autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Pictures & Videos: 2003 Honda Civic Extreme Makeover - Duragloss

Pictures & Videos: 2003 Honda Civic Extreme Makeover - Duragloss

This is my fiancé's daughter's Honda in dire need of an extreme makeover. This car was painted approximately 1 year ago at a local body shop using single stage paint. Not sure why they're shooting single stage paint as the norm is basecoat/clearcoat technology but here's the good news...

She'll never have to worry about clearcoat failure... just oxidation...

Duragloss Extreme Makeover
    Since a polished surface will hold up and last longer in the elements than a textured surface I'm going to machine polish this paint to restore a clear, glossy smooth surface and then coat it with something.

For products we're going to use products from Duragloss, specifically we used the Duragloss Marine/RV Polisher & Cleaner which is technically a cleaner/sealant, kind of like a traditional cleaner/wax except instead of the protection ingredients being a waxy substance like Carnauba Wax the protection ingredients are synthetic or man-made.

Duragloss Products
    For this project we're using the 501 to remove the oxidation and polish and seal the paint and then topping with the Wet Look 111 Clear Coat Polish.

I'll let the pictures do the talking....

Before

Dull Hazy Headlight Lens

Replaced Headlight at the time of the paint job

Before

Before

Before

Before

Before

Side-by-Side Test

The 10 @ 10 Technique for picking up a bead of product...

Always remove tape by pulling back at a low angle, don't remove tape by pulling it "up" and away from the paint...
    (Don't ask me how I know)

Not perfect but a dramatic improvement...

Jeff working the trunk lid...

More to come...

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures & Videos: 2003 Honda Civic Extreme Makeover - Duragloss

Continued...

While Jeff and I tackled the hood and trunk lid, Robert, Adam, Jeff and Louie used Porter Cables, Griot's Garage and Meguiar's DA Polishers with Hydro-Tech Tangerine Pads to tackle the rest of the car. After the rotary buffer steps done to the hood and trunk lid, we re-polished using the same Tangerine Hydro-Tech pads on DA Polishers to ensure there were no swirls left by the rotary buffers.

Jeff and Robert on the passenger side, not the gloss starting to show up...

Robert using the Griot's...

Louie on a B-Pillar...

Jeff with a Griot's...

Adam knock out the front bumper facia...

Louie on the driver's door...

Here I'm using my finger to both point to the dull plastic mirror and also to help the camera to focus as I get the before shot. Note the dull paint on the A-Piller, Robert will fix this too...

Robert hammering on the black plastic housing. The pad looks like it's stopped but hes on the 6 setting...

Now look at both the A-Pillar and the mirror housing... Robert is a top notch detailer in Palm City and if you can get him to squeeze you into his schedule you're lucky.

Here's Louie cleaning his pad on the fly using a terry cloth towel...

Rub rub rub...

And back to work, it's a fast cleaning process to get you back to what's important and that's keeping that pad buffing on the paint...

Jeff working the paint on the trunk lid. Jeff owns St. Lucie Auto Spa and is an incredibly talented detailer like Robert and offers mobile detailing for the St. Lucie, Stuart and Palm Beach areas...

Not Pictured
    Somehow we didn't get any pictures of machine applying the Duragloss 111 but we did this with DA Polishers and the Crimson Hydro-Tech Pads and then let the D111 dry for about 15-20 minutes and then used the very soft and plush, rolled edge green microfiber towels to remove it. It wipes off really easy...

More to come...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Here's the Beauty Shots....

From left to right...

Adam, Louie, Jeff, Robert and Jeff...

Ready to go!

For some reason all of the glass polishing pictures were a little out of focus but as you can see we did machine polish all the exterior glass and this shows up in the video too.

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures & Videos: 2003 Honda Civic Extreme Makover - Duragloss

On Autogeek.net

All Duragloss Products

Post Thanks / Like

Nice turnaround! I hope she's very happy with the new look.

Cool 50-50 cutting the fluorescent light in half. And nice shot of someone cleaning a pad on the fly.

What had caused the scratches in the side mirror mount? Did he use the 501 on that, too?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Nice turnaround! I hope she's very happy with the new look.

Cool 50-50 cutting the fluorescent light in half. And nice shot of someone cleaning a pad on the fly.

What had caused the scratches in the side mirror mount? Did he use the 501 on that, too?

Yes and I used it on the passenger side headlight, remember it was hazy and yellowed. WE also applied the Duragloss 111 over the headlamps and mirror housings.

I don't know how the scratches were put into the black plastic mirror housing, looks like someone drove the car through sticker bushes as they are mostly in straight lines and pretty deep, they don't look like car wash scratches at all.

The pictures of Louie cleaning his pad on the fly were to show people that cleaning your pad on the fly is supposed to be quick, you clean off "most" of the gunk and then get back to work, that's the on the fly part.

How to clean your foam pad on the fly

And "yes" Coral was ecstatic!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, Mike!
    Richy, our own tireless promoter of DG501 should be proud. You have certainly demonstrated that in capable hands 501 is some awesome stuff. 501's ability to achieve the results you've shown without compromising the finish thickness should earn it a spot on the shelf of any detailer who deals in the realities of DD work. It certainly has become one of my go-to products!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Mike any reason why you did not use 105 but 111 instead? Wanted a sealant only as 105 still has some cleaners/abrasives?

Glad to see DG products get some showtime, really underated product line IMO.

Before pics paint almost looks like a matte finish. Not too impressed with whoever painted it, collision repair I assume.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bobble View Post

Mike any reason why you did not use 105 but 111 instead? Wanted a sealant only as 105 still has some cleaners/abrasives?
    To be honest, I wanted to keep this project simple because of the project. Had this been a special interest vehicle I might have been inclined to do a more complicated process but I'm a big fan of the KISS philosophy when it comes to detailing cars.

KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

I know some guys do 53 steps to the paint but I like doing only what's necessary to achieve the goal. The goal for this wasn't a show car finish but to get some shine back to the paint and make the paint smooth so it will hold up better to the elements. I think we accomplished that with the 501 and then simply sealer her up using the 111

Good question though...

Quote Originally Posted by bobble View Post

Before pics paint almost looks like a matte finish. Not too impressed with whoever painted it, collision repair I assume.

Just a local basic shop, I don't know who, I could find out but I really don't care that much. Coral is an incredibly nice young lady with one more year of college to go and I think her car will hold up a little longer now...

We might see Coral's car back for,

• Engine Detail Project
    • Glass Polishing Project
    • Interior Detailing Project

I'm in the dog house now as I've spent more time polishing Coral's Honda and only polished the hood and half the windshield of Stacy's Honda.
    (Was testing products)

Stacy's silver Honda with scratches windshield from airborne sand from the beach, kind of the norm around coastal communities over time...

Yep, half the windshield looks pretty good now...

Post Thanks / Like
    I notice that the buffer was run right over the pin striping. Is this usually safe to do?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast